• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

M5A99X Evo R2.0 Issue radical help.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
1. There is nO way to know if overclocking will shorten the life of YOUR cpu or really by how much.

2. It has been estimated by those much smarter than myself that cpus should last about 13 years full time use. Overclocking was thought to shorten that life to about 11 years. If you plan to use the cpu over 11 years, do not overclock.

3. As has been said the ability to keep the cpu cool is important as well as how much voltage is being applied to the cpu at what temperature. Cool cpus resist being damaged with added voltage over extended time periods.

4. One of the reasons we don't really try and teach setting offset cpu voltage and running with all the green stuff on is because it takes a little trial and error testing to get the voltages to drop and come back on with cpu speed increase. I have all the green stuff except C6 and Turbocore and my cpu idles at 1400Mhz and jumps to 4800Mhz when loaded and passes 2 hours of P95 Blend mode at 4.8Ghz. It can be done but it is not do A and B and C will be the result. It takes balancing the voltages to speeds.

Thank you, very useful information.
I'm jealous lol kidding, nice OC you have!! I wish I could get near that! lol.
Just to know, whats your vcore on idle and full load? thank you!

My motherboard I believe who else could be... is increasing vcore automatically when I increase the multipler from the CPU.
1.320 was set for 4,3 and when I set 4,4 I go check vcore and now its on 1.368.....
Are you serious about this? vcore control is set to MANUAL so why in the hell would this happen, should I just go to tech support the mobo is doing **** I'm not telling it to do. Seriously so annoying.

CPU_LLC raises the cpu voltage under load for sure. Are you referring to the cpu having increased voltage under load.

CPU_LLC raises the cpu voltage under load for sure. Are you referring to the cpu having increased voltage under load.

Your Mobo is doing that and it's meant too. The M5A99fx boards have LLC for the CPU and CPU_NB voltage and that is exactly what it is intended to do. When I have my board running my normal OC the voltage is set to 1.45v in bios but the LLC will add another 0.26v when under load. So inother words when you were running 4.3 that CPU was happy with 1.32v but when increased to 4.4 and I assume volts were left the same in bios The CPU needed 1.368v.
So even when running 4.3 the volts would have went to 1.368 since that is the actual setting in the BIOS but the CPU didn't need the power so only registered 1.32v

Guys.. I know how LLC works, and I'm talking about voltage when not full load...
As soon as I start windows I go check vcore and for every 100mhz I add the vcore increases automatically and the value is shown in the bios as well, its doing it automatically.
LLC will increase vcore under full load so the vdroop won't hurt, and its working since I don't have any vdroop its minimal its almost a constant 1.320 on 3,3 same for 4,4 constant 1.368 the problem is why is this happening, it shouldn't as simple as that, I'm who changes the vcore no the mobo if set to MANUAL it shouldn't move. I've read that offset automatically increases vcore in some mobos but as I said I'm running manual mode... I know whats wrong, I should have never switched to asus, gigabyte was so simple and effective, the old 770-T manual vcore was put the ******* numbers and there you go.

Sorry, I'll put that as you said for now check it now:

MOBO > Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0 Bios V. 1503
CPU & Cooler > AMD FX-8350 / Cooler Master Hyper N620
MEMORY > Kingston 1333 mhz / 4GB 2x2
POWER SUPPLY > Cooler Master bronze 550W.
VIDEO CARD > 1X GTX 460 1024 MB
HDDs/Optical drives > 1X HDD 500 GB WD/ 1X Optical drive LG
SOUND DEVICE > On Board only
USB > No USB plugged to mobo
O/S > Windows 7 64-bits
Case > Cooler Master Elite case / x1 additional FAN

Guys.. I know how LLC works, and I'm talking about voltage when not full load...
As soon as I start windows I go check vcore and for every 100mhz I add the vcore increases automatically and the value is shown in the bios as well, its doing it automatically.
LLC will increase vcore under full load so the vdroop won't hurt, and its working since I don't have any vdroop its minimal its almost a constant 1.320 on 3,3 same for 4,4 constant 1.368 the problem is why is this happening, it shouldn't as simple as that, I'm who changes the vcore no the mobo if set to MANUAL it shouldn't move. I've read that offset automatically increases vcore in some mobos but as I said I'm running manual mode... I know whats wrong, I should have never switched to asus, gigabyte was so simple and effective, the old 770-T manual vcore was put the ******* numbers and there you go.

That's odd since Ihave thePro version of that board and I know what it's going to do. Where is your LLC set? Is it on auto/ high/ ultra high cause they all will add different values to the V_core.

LLC Is set to very high (75%) since It was recommended in many oc guides and personally I find it givse me the most stable vcore.
You mean LLC will increase vcore even when cpu is not on load?
Should I update bios?

Have you entered that into your signature in User Control Panel? Looks good.
RGone...

Sorry, I'll put that as you said for now check it now:

MOBO > Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0 Bios V. 1503
CPU & Cooler > AMD FX-8350 / Cooler Master Hyper N620
MEMORY > Kingston 1333 mhz / 4GB 2x2
POWER SUPPLY > Cooler Master bronze 550W.
VIDEO CARD > 1X GTX 460 1024 MB
HDDs/Optical drives > 1X HDD 500 GB WD/ 1X Optical drive LG
SOUND DEVICE > On Board only
USB > No USB plugged to mobo
O/S > Windows 7 64-bits
Case > Cooler Master Elite case / x1 additional FAN

That's odd since Ihave thePro version of that board and I know what it's going to do. Where is your LLC set? Is it on auto/ high/ ultra high cause they all will add different values to the V_core.

Nearly all the mid to upper Asus boards act pretty similar as to choices available in the bios. And I knew you and 'manny' had between you the EVO and the PRO I thought. So you two and maybe 'trents' should have bioses that look like the OP.
RGone...

Nearly all the mid to upper Asus boards act pretty similar as to choices available in the bios. And I knew you and 'manny' had between you the EVO and the PRO I thought. So you two and maybe 'trents' should have bioses that look like the OP.
RGone...

Man I was updating bios since mine wasn't latest and it could help with my issues, I was using Asus ez bios update feature from bios tool menu, and it got stuck at like 60% of the yellow bar, I let it there since I know I should never power off system, finally it restarted but says failed to update bios, and the bios recovery system showed up, I inserted ASus cd and it tried to flash with the bios inside that cd but it also failed...
So I just lost my cpu and everything on my board? plus the board of course.
Just confirm so I can go and kill myself

Nothing but the board is now sorta dead since the bios is not working. Everything else is good.

I would try a CMOS clear before saying the board's bios is surely dead. Even remove all power from the board and remove the battery for half hour or so. Might come back on the bios that was there since it seems it may have failed in flashing anything.
RGone...

Click that bar and you can see the image full size for the small print.
Thank you so much, I had found that in the back panel but I didn't knew it could work without accesing the bios so I learned I have to read the manual like full mode or die. Thank you so much for real man, ty for taking the time to post that.
I was able to proper flash bios this way with the latest one. Everything is running okay now, nothing got damaged.

Man I was updating bios since mine wasn't latest and it could help with my issues, I was using Asus ez bios update feature from bios tool menu, and it got stuck at like 60% of the yellow bar, I let it there since I know I should never power off system, finally it restarted but says failed to update bios, and the bios recovery system showed up, I inserted ASus cd and it tried to flash with the bios inside that cd but it also failed...
So I just lost my cpu and everything on my board? plus the board of course.
Just confirm so I can go and kill myself

Thank you so much, I had found that in the back panel but I didn't knew it could work without accesing the bios so I learned I have to read the manual like full mode or die. Thank you so much for real man, ty for taking the time to post that.
I was able to proper flash bios this way with the latest one. Everything is running okay now, nothing got damaged.

That's great news, nothing worse than breaking your own stuff.

I'll update my mems they are Kingston Value Ram so they are kind of crappy...
I'll get a set of 2x4GB G.Skill Ares 1600mhz.
So it should help my system stability since I believe my mobo didn't like these cheap VR of 1333 mhz from my old am3 computer.
I have a problem, more than a problem I would like to understand something.
Currently I'm running my computer everything on default, except the turbo core which is disabled.
In this default scenario, I was checking how my mobo manages the vcore and the cpu freq.
I realised it uses by default, the off set for the voltage.
When idle the cpu freq drops from 4,0 to 1,4ghz. The vcore drops from 1.308v to 0.876v.
So, if I set the freq for example to 4,2 or 4,3. And I go increase the offset, the idle voltage and the under load voltage should increase. Said this, is this possible to overclock this way? I could just check if the idle voltage is stable as well as the load voltage.
I could for example add 0,090 to the off set voltage so the idle will go from 0,876v to 0,966 AND the under load voltage would raise from 1.308 to 1,398. At the same time I had set the cpu freq to a reasonable 4,4ghz.
Would this work? It would be great to have idle voltage and freq as well as oc voltage under load.

Actually the cpu working without turbocore enabled, is not actually using offset Vcore but is responding to programmed P-States within the cpu itself. However you may try and use the Offset Vcore method to do as you suggest above in setting the cpu voltage. Sometimes it takes some balancing voltages to get the exact offset to use.

Back