• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Turbo Ratio in BIOS ok but won't change in Windows 8.1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bchocotoff

Registered
Ok, so here is the story. I used to overclock a lot but haven't done it in a while till yesterday. This is the most strangest thing I've ever seen

I started overclocking step by step changed turbo ratio up by 1 each stable boot. I received a stable boot in turbo ratio 43 so proc was running at 4,3 Ghz. Wanted to go up some more so went to 44 but after I booted to windows 8.1, it stayed at 4,3 Ghz.

So here is the strange part, even if I lower it back to 38 or whatever turbo ratio I use, windows will still run at 4,3 Ghz! And what's even worse, when I change my vcore it changes in windows but my clock speed stays the same!

I'm at work atm but my guess is to reinstall windows right? 'That's the only logical explanation or am I wrong? PLEASE HELP ME

specs:

ASUS p8z77-v
Cooler Master Silver Pro M1000 (1000 Watt)
i7 2700k
Corsair Vengeance 2x4 GB 1600MHz (but running on 1333MHz)
660TI (soon 660TI SLI)
Windows 8.1

Any help is appreciated!

so just to be clear.. was overclocking slowly from 3.8 ghz and it was all working up to 4.3 ghz. now setting it higher or lower is ok in the bios and gets calculated good in the bios. but in windows it stays at 4.3 ghz. changes in vcore gets accepted in windows but changes in clock speed doesn't. even if I put everything back to default, windows cpuid and other hardware monitoring tools say 4.3 ghz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Relax... there's no reason for you bump your thread after only 5 hrs. Wait 24 hrs., and if no one has responded in that time then it's OK to bump your thread. Try resetting CMOS, then change the turbo ratio back to 44.

What exactly are you reading those speeds with? CPU-Z, or the dumb system monitor tool built into windows?

Ok, so here is the story. I used to overclock a lot but haven't done it in a while till yesterday. This is the most strangest thing I've ever seen

I started overclocking step by step changed turbo ratio up by 1 each stable boot. I received a stable boot in turbo ratio 43 so proc was running at 4,3 Ghz. Wanted to go up some more so went to 44 but after I booted to windows 8.1, it stayed at 4,3 Ghz.

So here is the strange part, even if I lower it back to 38 or whatever turbo ratio I use, windows will still run at 4,3 Ghz! And what's even worse, when I change my vcore it changes in windows but my clock speed stays the same!

I'm at work atm but my guess is to reinstall windows right? 'That's the only logical explanation or am I wrong? PLEASE HELP ME

specs:

ASUS p8z77-v
Cooler Master Silver Pro M1000 (1000 Watt)
i7 2700k
Corsair Vengeance 2x4 GB 1600MHz (but running on 1333MHz)
660TI (soon 660TI SLI)
Windows 8.1

Any help is appreciated!

so just to be clear.. was overclocking slowly from 3.8 ghz and it was all working up to 4.3 ghz. now setting it higher or lower is ok in the bios and gets calculated good in the bios. but in windows it stays at 4.3 ghz. changes in vcore gets accepted in windows but changes in clock speed doesn't. even if I put everything back to default, windows cpuid and other hardware monitoring tools say 4.3 ghz.

I would like to suggest a manual overclock and leave the turbo off. It'll cause instability if you aren't using the turbo voltage properly and then fight that with power saving features.

So really a good read through some stickies will help you tons!! Come back with questions after you get home and are able to play with the machine.

Help is NP.

Gonna need screen shots and stuff too, so be prepared before your next post.

I am using these monitoring tools.
CPU-ID, Openhardwaremonitor, core temp.

First reply helped out a lot it was the weirdest issue ever but just removing the CMOS solved the problem.

Thanks a bunch guys!

Back