• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me decide 2011 or 1155

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
And the one i am offering you is the new 2011 CPU that has replaced the 3820 and is quicker still in post 7. Jimingle10!

Edit: Well i would say they are about the same as a 4770K, but that is me manu buddy!! Mehhh.

AJ.

Last edited:
I wouldn't get the 3820 or the evga x79. If you want to go x79, get an asrock or giga ud3, both are pretty cheap. 4820k is the ivy-e quad. It would be much better than the 3820. X79 is a dead socket as is 1150 and 1155. You could upgrade an x79 to a 6 core, but there won't be any newer CPUs besides what is not out now. If you don't need 6 cores for something specifically, I would get the 4770k. I have x79 now, but have had 1150,1155.

Again, this is literally under $200 out of pocket for me. I craigslisted my Q9400 rig for $540.

I don't own any games newer than COD MW3. I burn DVD's occasionaly and it was over an hour to encode on my Q9400.

So for ~$175 is rig 1 a good upgrade?

Natural progression :

1st pc - celeron 500mhz
2nd pc - P4 1.8 northwood w/ abit th7 (my first build!)
3rd pc - Q9400 w/ 780i
4th pc - see post 1 ! lol

So 700 bucks...

4770k and Asrock z87 pro4
Amd 280x. If you can, 290.

That's 700 to 800 $.

And the one i am offering you is the new 2011 CPU that has replaced the 3820 and is quicker still in post 7. Jimingle10!

Edit: Well i would say they are about the same as a 4770K, but that is me manu buddy!! Mehhh.

AJ.

The cpu you mentionned is 8% slower than a 4770k at a given freq.

Stil Ivy Bridge. And as Soulcatcher explained, Haswell-e will run on different Mobon

wish I opened a poll with this thread!

Not looking to build cutting edge rig, just looking for a nice upgrade from last pc under $200. DDR2 - DDR3 is already a massive leap, aswell as having sata3 for my ssd. Of the two rigs above I am leaning towards rig1 as the better 'package' even having the less promising chip. I don't really like that rig2 has nvidia gpu on xfire board, and I'm not too keen on water-cooling. My roomie's i5 sprung a leak in the block and took out everything earlier this year. I'm sure with proper maintenance that wouldn't have happened but it's just another headache as far as im concerned.

Z87 is a better chip set/motherboard than x79. X79 is old in comparison. And the evga is a very mediocre motherboard. See my post above in case you missed it ( I posted at the same time as you).

It is double the price and not worth it.....

Of the rigs you listed, the second is better, but not necessarily the best you could get for your budget.

Haha.

None of the above. Buy an AMD rig. you'll have the pleasure of overclocking the entire system. Intel doesn't offer that any more. Reference clock, FSB or BCLK rather is pretty much on lock down. Most people can't hit 110 BCLK.....

The 2011 is more similar to AMD as far as the way tweaking goes. So it would be familiar ground where's you might find the newer Intel platforms to be... well.... hate to say it.... a bore to overclock. I'm talking Multi only here on the Cpu and a few ram dividers to choose from..... If the IMC handles it. On average 1200mhz max clock, 1000-1100mhz for daily. This can be had on the AMD system with reference clocks well over 300mhz..... It's just a gas to play with like that.....

So really, you may want to re-think what your thinking and take some more options into open minds ;)

This thread is all over the place. First of all to recommend an X79 rig for someone who stated that he was a mild gamer is beyond me. Recommending a rig based on difficulty of overclocking?

@op Do you live near a Microcenter?

Manu2b already nailed it. Get a 4770K, Asrock Board, and a 280x or 290x. Or even look around for a good price on a 7970.

If that is too much look at a 4670K, Asrock Z87, 280X or 290X

An X79 is a complete waste of money unless you need the 6 core.

Not really close to a microcenter...I am an avid newegg shopper.

As much as I'd like to build a whole new system with a 4770K its just really not in the budget. These are complete rigs listed, i really dont care about CPU upgrade path as i will likely replace the board and chip 3-5 years down the road. I keep reading chip+mobo+gfx combos that fit my $700 budget...but that is not factoring in case, cdrw, RAM, PSU...tack on another $300 atleast for that stuff. Thus sending my upgrade cost from $175 to about $500

I think my OP should have been a simpler question.

Does rig 1 or 2 have a better processor than the Q9400? Does it have better graphics than 2x 8800 gts? Is DDR3 and SATA3 6gb/s better than ddr2 sata2 (LOL). Will I enjoy having USB 3.0 ports?
$175 out of pocket to jump into either of those machines...which one?

Haha.

None of the above. Buy an AMD rig. you'll have the pleasure of overclocking the entire system. Intel doesn't offer that any more. Reference clock, FSB or BCLK rather is pretty much on lock down. Most people can't hit 110 BCLK.....

The 2011 is more similar to AMD as far as the way tweaking goes. So it would be familiar ground where's you might find the newer Intel platforms to be... well.... hate to say it.... a bore to overclock. I'm talking Multi only here on the Cpu and a few ram dividers to choose from..... If the IMC handles it. On average 1200mhz max clock, 1000-1100mhz for daily. This can be had on the AMD system with reference clocks well over 300mhz..... It's just a gas to play with like that.....

So really, you may want to re-think what your thinking and take some more options into open minds ;)

I have actually contemplated the FX-8320 in an entirely new build. Never owned an AMD chip. Aside from being a c**t hair slower at single thread operations, they seem like a steal.

I have actually contemplated the FX-8320 in an entirely new build. Never owned an AMD chip. Aside from being a c**t hair slower at single thread operations, they seem like a steal.

To be completely honest, I've always used AMD for everything. I got a good deal at micr center on an i7 3770K so went that route being only like 20$ more than the top AMD chip at the time.

Gamed on both. Can't tell the difference on newer games.... but older ones like the UT engine and source engines really suffer on the AMD rig. much lower frame rates being those particular games are more cpu intense than anything.

As far as single threading goes, you only really SEE it when you benhcmark. Other than that, it's a pretty quick setup. multi tasking almost as well as Intel's offerings is nice to see. Granted they aren't the best, they do bring plenty to the table as far as tweakability goes and such.

Did a lot of testing with an i5 2500K and Phenom II. as well. Both quads gamed and benchmarked really close to each other besides the clobbering effects that Intel has with PiMod for example. Every day usage was very similar.

I did testing with i7 3770K and FX-8320 (de-lidded) both using a GTX 480 for 3D. The multitasking of the 8320 was about 200mhz short if the i7. Meaning for cinebench scores to be similar, I was running the FX at 200mhz more to achieve the same scores or similar ones any ways.

In all the FX is worth the moneys, but if your doing actual Work, the Intel would be a better choice.

If your going to stick with 2011, find a 6 core cpu. If 1155, the 3770K is gret if you can find one used around 200$ give or take. They go for 300+ new at the newegg right now. So this route may not be good either.

Problem for most is budget. We all feel it. I wish I had something better than a GTX 480, but the offerings to beat it are in the 300$ range realistically speaking. I have been waiting to make my jump, but the card is so badass at 900mhz+ I haven't found any issues gaming yet on either platform AMD or Intel.

No matter what you do , Intel is faster than AMD. Even if results are pretty close then Intel draws less power and generates less heat ( don't look at CPU temps but needed cooling to make it work quiet at reasonable temps ).

As it was already mentioned couple of times, best is to get 4670K/4770K and cheaper Z87 or better ( or let's say not the cheapest ) H87 board.
2011 has no point unless you get 6 cores and actually use its power. For 99% home PCs it's waste of money.

As happy as I think I would have been with either of the two choices...I have conceded and am building a 4770k rig.

I was able to swap my 2013 Nexus 7 tablet (that I never use) for a brand new in the box Asus Sabertooth Z87 board.

I ordered the 4770k for $300 without HSF but brand new in sealed packaging.

I was considering the corsair H50 watercooling setup. Is that a decent system? The price is right for sure.

and last but not least, any noticeable benefit between 1600 / 1866 / 2000 memory modules? Its only a few dollars difference but I am really penny pinching this build lol. Do most 1600 sticks o/c to 1866 speeds?

Thanks everyone, I did the right thing and took the advice given.

Cheers

I ended up not going with either of the following and heeded the advice given here. It is a complete build as follows

Haswell Core i7-4770k - $300
Asus GTX 760 DirectCU II - $200
Asus Z87 Sabertooth - $Traded for my nexus 7 tablet
Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x8GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - $100
Thermaltake Chaser A71 - $90
Corsair H50 cooler - $40
Antec HCG-750 750W $60

Total build cost me $790 + trading my tablet...I had just sold my Q9400 system for $550, so this was really only $240 out of pocket for a pretty solid gaming rig. I'm very happy with the new build can't wait to put it together! A lot of the parts were bought 2nd hand to keep costs low, I think I got a deal and a half on everything

Back