• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Win 7 System Reserved Partition full

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
I have a couple SSD's , One has a Dual boot Win7 x64 pro on bot h partitions and the second I recently installed Vista 32. It was installed with the other drive disconnected. At some point I reconnected the dual boot drive and when in vista. It said that my E; drive was full and sure enough I formatted the second partition and it won't let me install Win7 again. It's sayin that the reserve is full and can't proceed.
Went back into Vista and these 2 folders appear in the reserve. boot and the one with all the usage is $WINDOWS.~LS I googled that folder with no real results.
Does anyone know if I could just delete it or is there a better way to resolve this so I can Win7 installed on the second partition again??
Thank

Last edited:
Looks like I just might be on my own with this one. If I find a decent solution without formatting the drive , I'll report back.
Thanks for having a peek anyway.

I'm pretty sure I can just delete the folder in there when in Win7 from another SSD, I just wasn't sure if the $Windows folder was anything Important. When in another OS on a different drive that partition isn't protected any more. That's how I could see what was in there and like I said If I can see it I'm sure I can delete it. Just didn't know if I should.

How big is the Reserved partition?

For xxxx and giggles you could downsize other partitions and try to enlarge the Reserved partition to see if you can use it. Win 7 needs 100MB Reserved and Win 8 needs 350MB. Don't know how much Vista requires. Also don't know if Vista uses a Reserved partition.

That was actually one of the fixes I found On the internet was to increase the size, but at this point I'm more interested in what got written there that wasn't supposed to be. No vista doesn't use the reserve but it may have thrown some junk in there. It all seemed fine until both drives were connected.

Just an update, I deleted the $WINDOWS.~LS folder, gained 70MB back and Windows still works. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Back