• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, 3 different programs read the same voltage. The guys on here preach about using HWmonitor for temps and voltage readings. I'm just going off the numbers from my original board. What the BIOS was set to and what it read were the same as what HWmonitor, CPUID and PC probe all read. It would seem that this board is a little flaky somewhere?

The thing is my original board read the voltages correctly. What ever I set the Vcore to that is what HWmonitor read it as. There was no voltage offset. I think these so called repaired boards aren't actually 100% functional. I think if they post and run Asus repair calls them good. I don't think the look at every parameter on the board.
My original board was actually very stable. I wish I could get it back. All this hassle due to bad memory.

Just because there is no voltage offset (LLC) showing in bios doesn't mean there isn't one operating in the background.

Asus M4A79T Deluxe, that mobo does not have LLC in it. AMD did not call for any spec that LLC will work with until the 9xx chipsets came out for the later FX processors. And they cannot just add it to bios since LLC requires circuitry to operate.

What he can have is a bios that is poorly calibrated for the I/O readouts or a VRM that is somehow racing to keep up with the cpu load and is overshooting the voltage by quite a bit. It would be next to impossible to say which is which without actually using a DMM to read the cpu voltages though.
RGone...

I'd say it has poor voltage regulation. I monitor the Vcore voltage with HWmonitor and it swings from 1.4961 to 1.4620. Not very good. This voltage swing makes the OC a little harder. It'll crash sometimes with some intense game playing after a few hours. I'll probably buy a new board sometime next year. Possibly an ASRock 990FX Extreme9, ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX, or ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0. I might go with ASrock this time. I wasn't very happy with Asus service.

Asus M4A79T Deluxe, that mobo does not have LLC in it. AMD did not call for any spec that LLC will work with until the 9xx chipsets came out for the later FX processors. And they cannot just add it to bios since LLC requires circuitry to operate.

What he can have is a bios that is poorly calibrated for the I/O readouts or a VRM that is somehow racing to keep up with the cpu load and is overshooting the voltage by quite a bit. It would be next to impossible to say which is which without actually using a DMM to read the cpu voltages though.
RGone...

I'm pretty sure I have had some boards whose chipsets came before the 9xx generation that had LLC in bios. I found some references to LLC on some 8xx chipset boards on our own forum: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717521

I'm pretty sure I have had some boards whose chipsets came before the 9xx generation that had LLC in bios. I found some references to LLC on some 8xx chipset boards on our own forum: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717521

Yes but that mobo the Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 is an update of the PCB and socket to M5A standards with an AM3+ socket, but with an old chipset to allow the board to have onboard graphics for the uber entry level user.

The chipset is almost pin for pin compatible between the 760G or 780G to the later 9xx chipsets. All Asus is doing is making a very cheap board with onboard graphics since the FX processors do not support onboard grahics. At that point they could have the CPU_LLC circuit then coupled with an older chipset. Still does not make the board really an overclocking performer with minimal VRM circuit still in use for cheapness.

However you could put the board/cpu under DICE, LN2, Liquid Helium or Phase and do fair since the VRM is then being taken down in temp by the uber cooling solution, but not so generally on most air and water cooling solutions.
RGone...

Also assuming you're talking about replacing this time next year, it might be beneficial to do a cpu/mobo swap. Depending on what comes out and where the pricing is.

Blaylock you said a mouthful there man. If he is talking upgrading same time next year, there as absolutely no way to know what will be the AMD thing to get.

If the deneb cpu series dries up because AMD is pushing their APUs, the motherboards for the older series of processors will go up in price. The only thing that gives me a little hope is that Asrock has released the "Killer" series of mobo now and makes no sense to do that unless they are just *releasing* something to generate enthusiasm and sales rather than a fore-shadowing of something to come.

I mean stop and remember back to how FAST AMD was able to dry up the Thuban line-up of processors in the 1090T and 1100T class of processor. Less than 3 mos to drain those good processors from the new retail market.

If I needed a new board 'today' for a big Mhz Deneb, then I would get one with the idea of going FX in mind. That list for supporting Full-Bore FX processors is short. Sabertooth 990FX R2.0, CHV-z, Asrock EXT9 or new "killer" and maybe a 990FX UD7. Very short list of known to work well with the 8 core cpus.

Got a bud that has been gaming with a 6 core FX-6300, but the freeken "bug" bit him to try an 8 core again since his FX-8350 is a dog. He just go another new FX-8350 8 core and this one is primo. So I guess one could do the logical sort of thing and stay away from the Uber power hungry 8 cores but it the "bug" bites, you got to have a stout mobo for sure and a bad to the bone water cooling setup to run some big Mhz above 4.5Ghz.
RGone...ster.

I'll go with a board that will support the FX series. I'm happy with the processor right now. I can get 4.1 but not 24/7 stable. I think with a better board I could run 4.1 24/7. The Asrock Ext9 looks good. Maybe the prices will come down some. Hopefully when I do change I can get Windows 7 to cooperate with the new board and not have to do a clean install.

Back