• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie advice please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

robd73

Hi All,

Looking at buying the Defende X4 gaming PC on Overclockers. Looking at the different Graphic card options and wondered what people thought:

Radeon R7 240, but will the upograde to R7 250 or 260 X really be noticed?

Or shall I look at the extra spend and get the R9 270X?

Sorry for the newbie questions but looking to get a gaming PC on a budget and just wondered on your thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Rob

You do not want to go lower than a 270X at 1080p in order to play modern titles with some eye candy on.

240/250 are not gaming cards. 260x is getting there, but not quite good enough for me at 1080p. You will undoubtedly need to sacrifice some in game settings with that card.

The 270x isn't a slouch and should be fine. Perhaps on some titles (BF4, Metro:LL) you will need to lower some settings...

Here is a review on the 250, 260x, and 270x (many more found on the web): http://www.overclockers.com/his-250-260x-270x-review

robd73, welcome to the forum.
Most of us here build our own Pc's that way we can choose high quality parts and get exactly what we want. The Pc you're looking at isn't terrible but I'm not a big fan of the motherboard they are using, it's a budget board at best. that said if it is what you can afford then it is what it is. For gaming getting the best Gpu you can afford is the way to go, though when looking at pre built systems that is how they get you. When you start upgrading they charge more then what you would if you just built it that way from the beginning. What is you're budget and I'll see if I can put something together that fits it.

Here is what I put together for you. Same case, much better Cpu/Motherboard combo, better ram as far as timings, better and bigger hard drive and better Gpu. It's 100 more but a much better build.
Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Back