• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best mobo under 200$

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

novabean22

Registered
is the sabertooth 990fx the best board under 200 dollars or is there a better one out there?

is the sabertooth 990fx the best board under 200 dollars or is there a better one out there?

Make sure you are talking about the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 and you are talking about a board that is about as good as it gets for less than $200.00. We probably know more about and have more people actually able to speak to "real life" experience with that board than any other right now. Especially if you get d*mn good cooling and want to push a 6 or 8 core FX processor.
RGone...

Two thumbs up for the sabertooth R2 :thup::thup:
Great board for the FX just make sure it's not Gen. 3

+1 on the sabertooth, so dang good I have 2, a first release and an R2.0.
not as good as my ch5-f and ch5-fz in some ways and better in some ways.
there is less to get lost in in the bios, that's better.

What's wrong with the gen 3 ? I was kinda bummed I was unable to find one.

We had a user go thru two of them trying to ge stable. Sent the second one back for just the Saber 990FX R2.0 and got stable immediately.

Then Asus slid the board into the limited edition category and just about quit selling them in the Usa late last year.
RGone...

IF you can't find a Gen 2.0 you might consider the AsRock 990FX Extreme9. I have one and I can bench 5.8GHz under single stage with it. There are a ton of favorable reviews about it online.

If you get to see an EXT9 without the heatsink over the Mosfets you will see each phase has two mosfets in what is called stacked mode. I think the 990FX Fatal1ty had paralleled mosfets. There is a only a slight difference. The 990FX Fatal1ty that I have is a very good mobo and pushed my FX-8350 to identical speeds as my very good CHV was able to do.

All of that said, I am not sure I would go for the EXT 9 over the Saberkitty R2.0 if they are less than $15.00 Usd apart. Just too many have had success without undue drama with the Saberkitty's. Maybe I should make what I said more clear...the EXT9 is n0t better than the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0. Equal maybe for sure, but no better.
RGone...

If you get to see an EXT9 without the heatsink over the Mosfets you will see each phase has two mosfets in what is called stacked mode. I think the 990FX Fatal1ty had paralleled mosfets. There is a only a slight difference. The 990FX Fatal1ty that I have is a very good mobo and pushed my FX-8350 to identical speeds as my very good CHV was able to do.

All of that said, I am not sure I would go for the EXT 9 over the Saberkitty R2.0 if they are less than $15.00 Usd apart. Just too many have had success without undue drama with the Saberkitty's. Maybe I should make what I said more clear...the EXT9 is n0t better than the Sabertooth 990FX R2.0. Equal maybe for sure, but no better.
RGone...
Agreed that why I said if he couldn't find a R2.0 go with the 9. As for what mine can do. http://hwbot.org/submission/2441679_optytrooper_wprime___32m_fx_6300_7sec_676ms

Back