• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just the Tip!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

imgregrice

Hi guys!
I haven't been here in eons but I am updating my machine and need some guidance. I am finally stepping into water cooling ( lightly) so I have almost zero knowlege about it. I decided to go with a closed loop setup to break myself into the arena. I had the single GPU cooler in my other pc but its recent so I am still hesitant.

My new machine is:

Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131876

CPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113346

CPU Cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181032

GPUx2
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6076196

GPU Cooler x1 ( second one is stock cooled)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186067R

Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119213

Ram
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231389

PSU
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1583413&csid=_61

What i am trying to figure out now is how to and where I should mount the RADS for the H100i and the gpu unit.

It looks like I have room on top for the HF100i if i remove the huge stock fan that came with the case ( 932 advanced). I also struggle with the smaller RAD for the GPU cooler. the bottom of the case has a spot for it but its inaccessable because of the PSU cables hit right in that area when bottom mounted.

another issue I see is I thought about mounting it on top of the case but then i would have to dremel out the hose holes in the back since its a sealed unit. I am not sure if the hoses are long enough to mount outside yet but I am going to test it out tonight.. Hope this makes since... I am a bit tired and just drank an entire pot of coffee so if I am all over the place I appolgoize.

Thanks for all of your help!

well I thought about that but I already have one gpu card cooled with a closed loop unit and I got a free H100i given to me. Id like to figure out how to get it setup and test it against my current temps to see how much better the closed loop is than what I have now.

EDIT: so long story short what i have is already paid forr

Last edited:
Imgregrice, you and i are in mostly in the same boat, except I am going custom and have the parts on the way. (See here for more info)

The reason I stay away from the H100i and the like is because the closed loops are a risk in their own right. If the pump fails or tubes clog somehow and you don't realize it, you are in trouble. Closed systems can't be expanded or have maintenance done either. The other thing you should consider is that those units won't give you any cooling that a regular air cooled heat sinc won't give you. In fact, often times you can get better temps using a traditional system.

With that said, if you want to compare, take a photo of your current case layout. (easiest way to determine where to mount the rad) and we can help you from there. :)

Thanks for the response DJDelusional.
I have thought alot about if I should use the closed unit or not. I really like my GPU closed unit but I only have stock cooling to compare it to. My second card is air cooled and its a huge diffrence.
This is the current cooler I have on the machine. I like it but its a bit loud. That and I hate to waste the H100i since I already have the darn thing. What does everyone else thing? stick with the H100i or stay with the Ultra Chill? I am thinking I may want to buy some new fans for it to setup P/P config on top of the case. I do hate to move that huge fan though :( Perhaps mount it on top to help exaust? http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4143848

imgregrice, Like I said, if you are wanting to put it in, go for it. Since you already have it you might as well.

Upload a picture of your case and we can help you with what you can do to mount it.

Photos!
Ok so don't judge me on the yucky cables... I threw everything in the case to get it up and running again. So a bit more info... I have all of the 3.5 drive bays full and a hard drive sitting on the bottom shelf of the larger bays. Then in the 3rd from the bottom is my dvdr drive. You will notice the ARCTIC Accelero Hybrid sitting up against the hard drive cage. Before I ordered this new set of hardware I had it ziptied to the cage. I would much rather mount it if at all possible as I am not a fan of zipties in my case other than for wire management! Someone mentioned mounting the ARCTIC Accelero Hybrid RAD on the back which is starting to make since to me! I wonder if I can setup some sort of push/ pull there and reuse the stock fan ?

For the top you should be able to see what I am working with now.
Thanks for all of your input :)

20140319_202914.jpg

20140319_202907.jpg

20140319_202900.jpg

20140319_202849.jpg

20140319_202839.jpg

Hey, no judgement here. I am jealous of that case. My system feels really small and cramped in comparison. I really need to upgrade to a full ATX case.

As for placement, just remove the blue fan on the top, and replace it with the H100i. Thats actually where it is meant to go.

It should mount all right there and be exactly what you need. If you had removable tubing i would say put the rad unit on top, but thats almost impossible with that closed system. Same for mounting it on the back. (Unless you are up for doing some serious work.)

If you do some DIY work you could probably double mount that huge fan and the rad one over the other. As for building tips, that is beyond me. I only know how to build custom mounts when I have the stuff in front of me. ;-)

Thats as far as I can say. Sorry that I am no professional in this area. As I said, I am working on my first liquid cooling build right now.

just for ****s and giggles I pulled out the top fan and sat it on top of the case to see what it looks like..... looks dumb. I am bouncing a few thoughts..
1. Mount RAD in position you mentioned and ordering some nice high power fans to setup some sort of push / pull flow.
2. Mount the RAD on the Top and cut up the plate thats made for a real W/C setup with removable hose.
2.5. Mount the RAD on the side panel and cut a hole in it to allow hose. ( I like the sound of this other than maintenance will be a pita if I need to get to hidden wires on that side of the case.
3. Drink more Sake
4. Mount the ARCTIC Accelero on the back panel like you mentioned again push pull would be nice.
5. perhaps rig up some sort of bracket for the ARCTIC Accelero in the 5 inch bay

Also because I like pictures ...
This is the current flow inside the case right now
20140319_202839-2.jpg [/URL]

I think If I can get long enough bolts I could make mounting the rad over the 230mm fan that came in the case work. Those red areas are the mounting holes on the case. Can anyone think of a reason I shouldn't or wouldn't want to mount it in this fashion? I am thinking. So my thought is from bottom to top
Big *** fan
RAD
120mm fans attached to RAD
Top of case

20140319_220707-1.jpg

Hey imgregrice, sorry about leaving you hanging for a few hours. Life got in the way. :)

A few things I am wondering about. First, your diagram of your airflow seems to indicate you have the GPU rad pushing air onto your hdd bay? If it were me, I would reverse that fan so that the air doesn't get caught in the bay and instead gets pushed through the case. Assuming you use the computer with the case on, it will improve airflow through your case as a whole and cool more components, as well as improve airflow through the rad, essentially creating a push-pull through your hdd bay.

I would also be tempted to say scrap the large fan and replace it with smaller ones. You will get better airflow that way. If you chose not to, that will work, but it will give you less than desirable results.

Don't go cutting holes in the side of your case if you can help it. You could end up compromising the structural integrity of your case.

Maybe someone else has some good ideas?

Hey imgregrice, sorry about leaving you hanging for a few hours. Life got in the way. :)

A few things I am wondering about. First, your diagram of your airflow seems to indicate you have the GPU rad pushing air onto your hdd bay? If it were me, I would reverse that fan so that the air doesn't get caught in the bay and instead gets pushed through the case. Assuming you use the computer with the case on, it will improve airflow through your case as a whole and cool more components, as well as improve airflow through the rad, essentially creating a push-pull through your hdd bay.

I would also be tempted to say scrap the large fan and replace it with smaller ones. You will get better airflow that way. If you chose not to, that will work, but it will give you less than desirable results.

Don't go cutting holes in the side of your case if you can help it. You could end up compromising the structural integrity of your case.

Maybe someone else has some good ideas?

Agreed with the above. If you are trying to get another radiator in the mix I would scrap the top 230mm fan, get a couple 120mm fans and mount it up top.

I also would not have the GPU radiator in that position. I would mount it to the rear 120mm/140mm intake/exhaust. Putting it in your current position will suck in heat generated from your bottom GPU and PSU. Also, the air flow will be impacted by the front 230 since they would be competing.

Replacing the side 230mm fan with 4 x 120mm fans made a huge different in airflow in my case. I have a bit of an interesting airflow setup in my HAF932. I have top intake through my top triple radiator, intake through the rear which is typically used for exhaust, intake through the side case, and exhaust through the front 230mm fan and a rigged up 120mm fan in the top 5.25 inch bay.

Welcome back OP. My advise to you is to get rid of the top 230mm fan and replace it with the H100i cooling your CPU up top exhausting. If you want to go P/P by all means go ahead but make sure you have the room for it.

For the GPU, I would position the hybrid rad setup to the rear instead on your HD cages.

As for the fans, I've heard from others that those 230mm don't push too much air and have been replaced by BitFenix Pro 230mm. I would also add a fan at the bottom of the case as intake as well if you feel the need for more airflow. For the rads, I would look at AP-15s or NB e-Loop B12s. That should help bring down the noise level and bring more air flow through the case. Your airflow should be intake from the front and exhaust to the top and back.

Hope this clears any concerns you still might have.

Back