• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need new HDDs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gregers05

alright guys been a while since i posted up here, but I am having some issues.

my rig is as list in my sig.

I am getting ungodly terrible load times between map changes in BF4. Also seems to be lagging pretty bad, and will even freeze up at times and then catch up to itself.

sometimes it will just lock up completely and will follow with BOD.

When i try to restart, the computer turns on but the monitor stays blank. It will restart if I let the computer sit for 30 mins - hour without turning it on. I will come back and it will start right up. --- this part specifically has me wondering wtf?

So what say you guys? is this hard drive related or something else?

is there a way to test my HDDs?

Ooof. Test that drive with White Runner's tool ASAP.

Sounds like the drive has had enough :-/

thanks white runner and silver.

I tried running the test and got an error as soon as i tried running it.

"Quick Test:: SMART Enable Operation Error"

no idea what that means and a google search didnt give me much. Does this for both drives on all of the tests.

thanks white runner and silver.

I tried running the test and got an error as soon as i tried running it.

"Quick Test:: SMART Enable Operation Error"

no idea what that means and a google search didnt give me much. Does this for both drives on all of the tests.

Sounds like it can't enable or read the SMART data.

Are these drives in RAID at all?
If so, try speedfan. Yes it controls fan speeds, but it actually reads SMART data too.

It works on my drives; they are in RAID0, where as Western Digital's tool can't read my SMART data because I have them in RAID.

Sounds like it can't enable or read the SMART data.

Are these drives in RAID at all?
If so, try speedfan. Yes it controls fan speeds, but it actually reads SMART data too.

It works on my drives; they are in RAID0, where as Western Digital's tool can't read my SMART data because I have them in RAID.

ah yes, they are in RAID0 as well. I will download speed fan and report back

ah yes, they are in RAID0 as well. I will download speed fan and report back

Speedfan will do for getting the SMART data.

To test the disk and read SMART data hdsentinel would be the better choice. (hit download on the side bar there)

If speedfan can read the SMART data, Hd Sentinel can test the drives for errors, and give you a details health report too.

Last edited:
well both drives checked out using speed fan. i wonder wtf is going on? definitely seems like a HDD issue, but they are checking out alright?

also passed using Sentinel

Defrag maybe?

Might be bad drivers....
Also what is your cache setting in Rapid Storage Technology? (Assuming using Intel RST)

Also, thanks for the thread. I got HD Sentenial running again only to find a bad sector on one of my RAID disks. :-/
Oh Joy.

Defrag maybe?

Might be bad drivers....
Also what is your cache setting in Rapid Storage Technology? (Assuming using Intel RST)

Also, thanks for the thread. I got HD Sentenial running again only to find a bad sector on one of my RAID disks. :-/
Oh Joy.

defragging now.

i think drivers are up to date

cache setting not sure. what is RST? not sure if I am using that or not...

Glad i can help bring joy to you lol

defragging now.

i think drivers are up to date

cache setting not sure. what is RST? not sure if I am using that or not...

Glad i can help bring joy to you lol

RST = Intel Rapid Storage.
You can grab that on Intel's site.

It allows you to change the RAID's cache settings and disable Windows buffer flushing and let the chipset handle that.
Mine's set to "Write-Through" which means Data is written to the disk the second the drive's cache gets the data. <- safest option for RAID0 arrays.

Joy... yeah. Looks like the drive failed on April 30th... according to event log anyway :-/

gotcha.

actually you know what, i have my drives partitioned so that part is RAID0 and the other is RAID1. the RAID1 partition is where I keep all of my documents.

gotcha.

actually you know what, i have my drives partitioned so that part is RAID0 and the other is RAID1. the RAID1 partition is where I keep all of my documents.

:shock: whaaaaa?

That's and odd setup, yet... effective.

Winders is on RAID0 and documents is on RAID 1?
Odd setup, yet I see the benefits of that.

Hehe If my drive dies, I might format them like yours actually :)

:shock: whaaaaa?

That's and odd setup, yet... effective.

Winders is on RAID0 and documents is on RAID 1?
Odd setup, yet I see the benefits of that.

Hehe If my drive dies, I might format them like yours actually :)

lol yep seems to work. I have 600GB for storage that is RAID1 and 300ish for RAID0 which is what windows and games are on.

i ran the defragmenter last night and that seems to have actually helped quite a bit. BF4 is running much smoother now.

if i were you, run disk cleanup, then disk defrag. i see it as getting the garbage out of my room before sorting the papers in the correct places on my shelves :)

Sooo what was the final result?

Your drive was that badly fragmented? :D

well i spoke too soon. seems to be getting worse now.

game locks up sometimes and sometimes not. however, now when the computer goes to sleep, it will turn on, but never get any video.

not so sure this is a HDD drive issue? could be mother board? dont think is the video card, it is fairly new.

could it still be a HDD issue even if it doesnt boot up properly?

the computer will always turn on, but usually takes a couple tries or i have to let it sit for 30+ mins for me to get video when I boot up.

Back