• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD A8 6600K Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Digitalarm

Registered
Hi I am new to this forum and would like some questions answered with this setup:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DS2 BIOS: F7
CPU: AMD A8-6600K 3.9GHz Quad Core APU + Integrated HD 8570D Graphics
Graphics card: MSI R7 260X 2gb GDDR5
RAM: 1400mhz 8gb
harddrive: seagate 1TB SATA3 6Gbs
500W Power Supply

Cooling: on the CPU a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO and a good fan flow through the hole case , 6 big fans total ( thats why I want a overclock ) because the CPU is 24 degrees celsius idle which is great !

Now i tried the overclock from 3.9 Ghz and BCLK 100 Mhz default --> 4.2 Ghz and BCLK 131 Mhz, and I unlocked the Turbo mode in the BIOS.

After that I could not boot my PC , it got stuck (black screen):comp:

Now I did a CMOS reset, by taking the battery out

So my questions are: why does it do that? and could I better overclock the CPU in the BIOS rather than Easytune 6? Or AMD overdrive?

Thank you in Advance!

Last edited:
6600K has unlocked multiplier. If you want 4.2Ghz then set multiplier to 42 and test. That way the ram is not messed with and overclocked and neither is the CPU_NB.
RGone...

You have 1400 mhz RAM? Did you mean to type 1600 mhz?

With the APU processors like you have you really cannot change the BCLK much because the PCI-e bus cannot be divorced from the system bus, i.e. the PCI-e bus cannot be locked down. It increases in lockstep with the system bus (BCLK) and it cannot tolerate very much change without causing system instability. So with the unlocked APUs the overclocking is done with the core speed ratio.

Reset system to default values if necessary with a CMOS clear and put the BCLK back to stock. Then work with the core speed ratio setting in bios.

6600K has unlocked multiplier. If you want 4.2Ghz then set multiplier to 42 and test. That way the ram is not messed with and overclocked and neither is the CPU_NB.
RGone...

Okay, and should I multiply it with the BIOS boot or AMD overdrive or Easytune 6?

And why can't I overclock the BCLK? Or how is this possible in the Gigabyte BIOS?

You have 1400 mhz RAM? Did you mean to type 1600 mhz?

With the APU processors like you have you really cannot change the BCLK much because the PCI-e bus cannot be divorced from the system bus, i.e. the PCI-e bus cannot be locked down. It increases in lockstep with the system bus (BCLK) and it cannot tolerate very much change without causing system instability. So with the unlocked APUs the overclocking is done with the core speed ratio.

Reset system to default values if necessary with a CMOS clear and put the BCLK back to stock. Then work with the core speed ratio setting in bios.

Alright but as you can see I have a ''Quick boost'' 1 so the BCLK is 105 Mhz and it Works fine, but with the ''Quick boost'' 3 and BCLK 131 Mhz It didnt boot like I mentioned earlier. Is this way of doing this as good as doing it in the BIOS, because in the BIOS I am totally lost:rain:

Attachments

• Screenshot.png
    Screenshot.png
    80.3 KB · Views: 24,102
You can overclock a few ticks with the BClK. It will tolerate a small change. But any major overclocking must be done with the core clock ratio in bios. Don't use software. It doesn't have enough controls to do it very well. None of the regulars around here will recommend using software to overclock. Do it right and learn to use the bios controls or we can't help you much. We are willing to help you learn to use the bios.

The terminology employed by different bioses is often very different so to make this efficient (so we can see what you see) you should do a screen capture of the relevant bios sections, save it to a thumb drive by pressing F12 and then attach the pics with your posts. You may have to downsize the pics before uploading them on the forum since they may exceed the size limit allowed by the forum. Use Irfanview (free) to resample the pics and make them smaller.

You can overclock a few ticks with the BClK. It will tolerate a small change. But any major overclocking must be done with the core clock ratio in bios. Don't use software. It doesn't have enough controls to do it very well. None of the regulars around here will recommend using software to overclock. Do it right and learn to use the bios controls or we can't help you much. We are willing to help you learn to use the bios.

The terminology employed by different bioses is often very different so to make this efficient (so we can see what you see) you should do a screen capture of the relevant bios sections, save it to a thumb drive by pressing F12 and then attach the pics with your posts. You may have to downsize the pics before uploading them on the forum since they may exceed the size limit allowed by the forum. Use Irfanview (free) to resample the pics and make them smaller.

HI I did as you said, and made some screenshots of all the information that is usefull

The FIRST picture shows all the OPTIONS in the BIOS
Which is odd, because the CPU should be 3.9 Ghz with 39 multiplier (ratio)
as you can see in the SECOND picture.

Now I tried to test the CPU with 4.3 Ghz overclock, It worked until I runned 3DMARK test, which started good, but after 2 minutes orso, I got the classic green and yellow lines and it crashed.

So I guess I need to give it more Vcore voltage as you can see in the THIRD picture which that should be possible.

How much should I give the CPU more Voltage? It now runs on 1.248 V as you can see in the FOURTH picture

Also, there is a Turbo mode, should I enable it? because on default it is disabled but the Turbo mode should give it clearance orsomething. See the FIFTH picture for this, and picture SECOND the is the option Advanced CPU core setting, where is can be enabled and disabled.

I hope I am clear enough, because I am new to this, thanks alot:chair:

Attachments

• 140703225833.BMP
    1.4 MB · Views: 23,628
  • 140703225849.BMP
    1.4 MB · Views: 23,834
  • 140703225858.BMP
    1.4 MB · Views: 23,689
  • 140703225910.BMP
    1.4 MB · Views: 23,602
  • 140703225839.BMP
    1.4 MB · Views: 23,500
Last edited:
When you overclock A8 6600K then use CPU ratio, not bclk. It simply won't go high and will cause stability issues as every single device in your PC is somehow connected to pcie express bus so also bclk.

I have noticed that my CPU doesn't like voltages below 1.3V when I disable power saving features ( C stages etc ).
Try something like:
1.3V up to 4.2GHz
1.35V up to 4.5GHz
1.4V up to 4.7GHz
1.45V up to 4.9GHz

CPU-NB ~2200
I have 2600MHz CPU-NB at 1.30V and it stable but may vary depends from board and CPU so start with lower clock and when you stabilize CPU clock then play with CPU-NB.

My 6600K runs right now @4.8GHz 1.45V with memory @2133 11-11-11 and seems stable.

When you overclock A8 6600K then use CPU ratio, not bclk. It simply won't go high and will cause stability issues as every single device in your PC is somehow connected to pcie express bus so also bclk.

I have noticed that my CPU doesn't like voltages below 1.3V when I disable power saving features ( C stages etc ).
Try something like:
1.3V up to 4.2GHz
1.35V up to 4.5GHz
1.4V up to 4.7GHz
1.45V up to 4.9GHz

CPU-NB ~2200
I have 2600MHz CPU-NB at 1.30V and it stable but may vary depends from board and CPU so start with lower clock and when you stabilize CPU clock then play with CPU-NB.

My 6600K runs right now @4.8GHz 1.45V with memory @2133 11-11-11 and seems stable.

OKay Will try that out, and my memort is around 1420 Mhz as you can see, and hardware specs says it is a 1400 Mhz 8 Gb,
can I overclock it along with the CPU?

And the BCLK is on 105 Mhz and is stable, so I think I keep it on that frequentie.

What the difference between NB core & Vcore?

And what is the best program to monitor all your settings you have done, to see frequenty etc?

Last edited:
OKay Will try that out, and my memort is around 1420 Mhz as you can see, and hardware specs says it is a 1400 Mhz 8 Gb,
can I overclock it along with the CPU?

And the BCLK is on 105 Mhz and is stable, so I think I keep it on that frequentie.

What the difference between NB core & Vcore?

And what is the best program to monitor all your settings you have done, to see frequenty etc?

Most memory can be overclocked to a certain extent. The CPU V_Core is the voltage fed to the cores and CPU NB-core is the voltage fed to the NB (IMC and cache) different part of the cpu which handles traffic inside the processor.
From what I've read most software still has problems getting the temps right with the APUs. I've read that AMD Overdrive is fairly accurate.

Most memory can be overclocked to a certain extent. The CPU V_Core is the voltage fed to the cores and CPU NB-core is the voltage fed to the NB (IMC and cache) different part of the cpu which handles traffic inside the processor.
From what I've read most software still has problems getting the temps right with the APUs. I've read that AMD Overdrive is fairly accurate.

Thank you Johan, so what benefit will it bring to overclock the CPU NB-core?

Try something like:
1.3V up to 4.2GHz
1.35V up to 4.5GHz
1.4V up to 4.7GHz
1.45V up to 4.9GHz

CPU-NB ~2200

Hi Woomack, Thanks alot for this super useful information!!:bday:

I did the following and my holy system seems pretty stable: check picture ONE, I got the CPU to 4.5 Ghz at 1.380V.

The memory form 1333 Mhz to 1600 Mhz but let the Dram voltage unchanged, because it's standard 1.5 Volts. see picture THREE for more Voltages..
Now could i easyily go to 1866 Mhz whilst staying on 1.5 Volt?

And what about these extra options like CHANNEL INTERLEAVING?
what does that mean?

So now I will overclock the NB core with 1.3V from 1800 Mhz to 2200 Mhz, you clocked it all the way to 2600Mhz? and that is for 1.3 V?

Also everybody else is free to reply on these questions, but Woomack maybe already been through this:cool:

Attachments

• 140704195708.BMP
    1.4 MB · Views: 23,029
  • 140704195530.BMP
    1.4 MB · Views: 22,959
  • 140704195418.BMP
    1.4 MB · Views: 23,328
  • 140704195806.BMP
    1.4 MB · Views: 22,943
Also , easytune monitor gives a lower Celsius degree than the BIOS temperature. (26 Celsius to 54 Celsius Idle) Whilst I think the easytune is correct, not that I want to sound optimistic but what I read on the internet

Attachments

• Naamloos.png
    Naamloos.png
    130.4 KB · Views: 22,864
I have 2600MHz CPU-NB at 1.3V. Anything higher was causing stability issues.
CPU-NB = memory controller what is more important than memory clock itself due to memory bandwidth limitations of this platform.
If you are using pcie graphics card then you are fine with memory at 1600. Integrated graphics cards like higher memory clock.

Channel and bank interleaving is helping in memory performance and best is to enable it or leave it on auto.

If all is stable right now then I wouldn't change much in other settings. I see you have enabled power saving features like C1/C6 Cool & Quiet etc. If all is stable then you can keep it like that what should lower CPU temps.
Disable APM what should help in CPU clock throttling under full load so simply will keep higher performance.

I have 2600MHz CPU-NB at 1.3V. Anything higher was causing stability issues.
CPU-NB = memory controller what is more important than memory clock itself due to memory bandwidth limitations of this platform.
If you are using pcie graphics card then you are fine with memory at 1600. Integrated graphics cards like higher memory clock.

Channel and bank interleaving is helping in memory performance and best is to enable it or leave it on auto.

If all is stable right now then I wouldn't change much in other settings. I see you have enabled power saving features like C1/C6 Cool & Quiet etc. If all is stable then you can keep it like that what should lower CPU temps.
Disable APM what should help in CPU clock throttling under full load so simply will keep higher performance.

Ah So that is the CPU NorthBridge (CPU NB), I Have a MSI R7 260X, so I simply do not use the integrated graphics on the CPU anymore

Do I understand it correctly that you do not have a graphics card on your motherboard but you use your integrated one, on the CPU?

Leaves that no interest at all for me to overclock the CPU NB?
If yes, I do not see the default Voltage of the CPU NB, as you can see in this picture under here:

Attachments

• 140704203140.BMP
    1.4 MB · Views: 22,768
I don't know if NB Core in this case is CPU-NB or NB voltage. You don't have to overclock it as you won't see big difference in performance. Maybe there is some explanation in motherboard's manual. I have ASRock motherboard and some options are called in some other way.

I'm using pcie card and I'm not using integrated one. In A8 6600K integrated graphics is really slow anyway.

I don't know if NB Core in this case is CPU-NB or NB voltage. You don't have to overclock it as you won't see big difference in performance. Maybe there is some explanation in motherboard's manual. I have ASRock motherboard and some options are called in some other way.

I'm using pcie card and I'm not using integrated one. In A8 6600K integrated graphics is really slow anyway.

Them that makes 2 of us!:D But why overclock the CPU NB as it only is useful when you use the integrated graphics? Or am I wrong? Because then There will be more voltage of the CPU NB voltage goes higher so more Heat.. Right?

Nevertheless The Memory frequency now is 1866 Mhz instead of 1333 Mhz, but the Memory Voltage (or DRAM V) is still unchanged, because stock it is already 1.5 Volts. And all is still stable after a 3DMark run.

So can I boost it up to 2166 Mhz as you did? Faster Memory speed results in quicker loading times right?:popcorn:

Thanks in Advance

So I just tried 2133 Mhz memory frequency, that resulted in no booted, otherwise the Voltage is too low (I quess) Because I did not changed the Voltage Whilst it already is 1.5V stock.

Bear in mind that stock my memory of 8 Gb is 1333 Mhz, perhaps that is the reason..:snipe:

Memory clock depends from many settings, voltage and timings. Hard to say if your memory can run at 2133+.

Memory speed and CPU-NB clock are helping in generally everything but you won't see big difference in daily usage just because of AMD architecture. It doesn't mean it's not worth to try but you can waste a lot of time for 1-3% faster system.
Most overclockers are setting high memory clock just because they want it, not because they need it or see any special performance difference. Memory clock is helping a lot in some benchmarks but rarely in games or other daily applications.

Back