• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7-4790K and H80i, are these normal temps and operation? :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pmap93

Registered
Hello.

Seems that i'm puzzled of what's happening to my cooling.

I use a Corsair H80i with Push-Pull fans on radiator (both fans inwards to Chassis)

additional fans:
(Two pull fans on top [chassis -> outside air]) (and one on bottom [outside air -> chassis])

I wanted to test the temps, and Using Prime95.

this is what Corsair Link shows and OpenHardwareMonitor :(

Capture.JPG

OpenHardwareMonitor reports within 3 mins it reached 80+ C.
Corsair Link says 'H80i temp' 36C???

The curve also shows that the Temp it was reading was only about 36C and RPM is not increasing much.

Any Ideas? :( :cry:

Stock Speed, Sir ATMINSIDE.

Um, I used the TEST in Prime96 of Maximum Power Consumption (In Place Large FTTs). Is that why? My H80i fans were set in Performance Mode.

Because I'm doing a test now of, the third option, Blend. Now getting Max of 55 C under Corsair 'Performance Mode'.

When the CPU is reading that hot, are the tubes on the H80i warm?
Is one warmer than the other?
Are they both cool?
Is the air coming out of the radiator warm/hot?

Um. During installation i just mounted the Pump with pre-filled compound onto the CPU (which I wiped with alcohol and dry) and tightened the bracket screws.

What should I do then sir? :cry:

If you have some more thermal paste, I'd re-mount it.
ATMINSIDE will know more than me on this, best to wait for other member's input too.

A bad mount is what I think is the root cause though.

you are not at stock speed, your overclocked both realtemp and hwm confirm the increase in mhz. You may be on auto overclock with high vcore.

Show a cpuz shot using cpuz 1.7 so we can see what your vcore is set at.

And what prime version are you using?

What prime version are you running 28.5?

you have your base clock overclocked to 102, and multi 45, so running 4590 mhz, and vcore is 1.273.

If you are running prime 28.5 small ffts (has avx + fma3), I would expect you to hit 100C at those settings. With 1.285v and 4.7 ghz, on a custom water loop with 2 large rads, I hit upper 90's with small ffts.

I you are running prime 25.1 small ffts (no avx, no fma3), then those temps are high.

What prime version are you running 28.5?

you have your base clock overclocked to 102, and multi 45, so running 4590 mhz, and vcore is 1.273.

If you are running prime 28.5 small ffts, I would expect you to hit 100C at those settings. With 1.285v and 4.7 ghz, on a custom water loop with 2 large rads, I hit upper 90's with small ffts.

Oh I see, because the Blend mode, i was having good temps (please see above)..so nothing wrong with my H80i ?

As rge stated

So far your temps are normal for this CPU.

Small fft's will rpoduce 99C rather quickly due to the small die and heat generated in such a small place.

Oh I see, because the Blend mode, i was having good temps (please see above)..so nothing wrong with my H80i ?

correct. But just to warn you when you run blend mode for a while, when it hits small ffts in blend mode, your temps will shoot up again to 90's.

We also need the rest of your system specs, motherboard, ram, gpu, psu etc.

Before having you do a remount, I'd check bios settings. What did you set your cpu voltage to?

Can you hear/feel the pump running?
Cold tubes typically means the pump isn't running.

You'll want to run at least 20 minutes before checking the tubes.

Back