• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

H115i Poor cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aaawew

Hi,

i7 8700k
4.7GHZ
1.285VCore
LLC 3 (Under full load in prime 95 CPUZ reports 1.272 Corsair Link reports 1.27)
I am seeing temps of 85C after only 30 minutes of prime 95 (Small FFT for max heat)

My corsair H115i is mounted in the top of a Corsair 750D Airflow edition
the fans mounted in pull at the top of the case (pulling air into the case)
the ambient temp in my basement is 19C or less
the loop water temp is 29.1C I do have the fan curve set to quiet so at this temp the fans RMP are only 1600

I am new to AIO liquid coolers but I was expecting better temps from this, I was just wondering if this is to be expected or not?

Thanks

Have you set a manual overclock at 4.7 or is it the turbo clock thing that is doing that? If it is the turbo clock then you should set manual settings. I’ve read a few things that say this would probably reduce v core and temps a bit. People are getting 5ghz at 1.29 vcore so I would say that is definitely something to look at.

Another thing to note is that this chip runs hot anyway, I have seen many people post that running at 5ghz with the processor de-lidded they are getting 70 degree temps whilst gaming. Obviously everyone’s cooking differs.

Also have you tried re-applying thermal paste and re seating the cooler?

I will be testing more tonight, if I bump up the fan speed it's loud ;)but I will test it. I was just expecting better temperatures with liquid cooling, I used the thermal paste that comes on the H115i I have some IC diamond I can reset it with. I thought I could throw 1.35 Vcore and not overheat the CPU with a H115i. Do better fans and better thermal paste make that much of a difference with temperatures?

I will be testing more tonight, if I bump up the fan speed it's loud ;)but I will test it. I was just expecting better temperatures with liquid cooling,

It is a misconception that many people believe. A full custom loop set up with a few rads and a nice reservoir of coolant will offer you the best cooling solution for the majority of people until you start to get to extreme overclocking.

The fact is that a 240mm AIO is probably equivalent to a decent air cooler. They do perform better than air in every day use such as gaming because they smooth out the temperature changes. It takes a lot more energy to heat liquid than it does just a metal heat sink which are used on air coolers so you don’t notice heat spikes. Conversely they also take longer to return to ambient temperatures than air.

You can often run the fans a little slower on the radiator than you would on a regular heat sink though which is where they can have an advantage.

You have said that the liquid temp is about 30 degrees C which isn’t too bad. Upping the fans may not yield any improvement but it’s free to try.

I just used this cooler on a build for a friend using a 5960X CPU @ 4.4 and was getting 78C on Prime blend using Gelid Extreme

Forget the vcore I was using, but was overall pretty happy with the cooler

Good luck

you may want to try reversing your rad fans. the fans are blowing the heated air from your rad back into the case. love that case btw ;)

Make sure the pump is running at it's highest speed (performance mode I think).

What other air intake do you have into the case? You are taking the "hot" exhaust air from the radiator and pushing it onto the CPU and MB.

Also, what sort of exhaust do you have on the case?

I generally like to run intake in the front/bottom and exhaust through the top rear. Can the radiator be mounted in the front of the case?

I run 3 different AIO units (1 for 5820K CPU, 2 for Titan X Pascal GPUs). These radiators are all 120 mm radiators (CPU is thick, and the GPUs are thin) mounted in the front of the case as intake. Each have push/pull fan setup to keep the noise down.

I have 2 140 mm fans as intake on the bottom, 2 140 mm fans as exhaust from the top, and 1 140 mm fan as exhaust out the back.

All fans (push/pull intake and exhaust) are Corsair Maglev fans.

With this setup, my CPU doesn't go over 80 C with Prime 95, and my GPUs stay under 50C under stress testing with a 28 C ambient (live in Florida).

I dont wanna be a cheeky butthead, but you removed the plastic off the base of the cooler right?

It was hard plastic on the bottom and I removed it :p. As for the rad I can reverse some stuff and see how that works, currently there isn't a gfx card in there, there will be a strix 1080 when I move it over. I'm not sure if the Aio will reach the cpu from the front of the case as an intake. I'm not sure what would be best, having the rad in the front as an intake or the top as an exhaust. Currently it is an intake on the top which I will change today.

yes, please make the rad rear/top exhaust.
when you put the 1080 in, getting all the heat out really counts with boost 3.0 now clocking the cards and I have not found a good way to work with boost 3.0 declocking the cards other than the coolest air I can get to the card.

"I dont wanna be a cheeky butthead, but you removed the plastic off the base of the cooler right?"
this is one of my sins once in a while........

The case is relatively empty so I should get enough cool air from the front two fans, I just hope there isn't too much hot air from the 1080 going into the rad.

As for sins.... I got my cable management done and realized I forgot the IO sheet for the mobo...

The case is relatively empty so I should get enough cool air from the front two fans, I just hope there isn't too much hot air from the 1080 going into the rad.

As for sins.... I got my cable management done and realized I forgot the IO sheet for the mobo...

your rear exhaust fan will remove most of the 1080s heat before it hits your rad. your actually better off leaving the rad up top as an exhaust. moving it to the front will just restrict airflow coming in.

It will give the best CPU temps, however since it is getting fresh air not warmed up by the case internals. Just the inside of the case warms up a couple of C otherwise. Just depends on preference , really.

I don't know how realistic this video is but I thought it was interesting:

Cliff notes, mount the radiator to the front of the case.

BTW my H115i is good enough to run my 7920x at 4.4ghz on all 12 cores.

yeah Cliffs notes

Just in case you weren't playing grammar patrol and were curious - Cliffs notes (I don't believe they actually had an apostrophe, but I haven't seen one in at least 20 years) were a shortened version of a book with the basic info about it (basically a study guide). Anyone who is 30+ years old probably has used or heard of them before. Some teachers considered them cheating. In the Army we always said if you weren't cheating, you weren't trying...

Last edited:
Cute.

Care to share the result of the 13 min vid? :)

Edit: what the what? That was in tjere already??? Holy cow im blind! I was not try to correct/qiestion the spelling... lolmelol

Cute.

Care to share the result of the 13 min vid? :)

Basically he had a 10C difference in CPU temps mounting his radiator up front with an open air GPU (vs a blower) instead of mounting it at the top of his case. It seems a little odd to me that it would be that big of a difference, but that was his finding.

Back