• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

H115i Poor cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I cut a hole (neat and "pro-fessional" like) in my side panel to mount a h100i in a crappy midtower, and set the fans to suck 'stead of blow. Did wonders for my temps, and my VGA was a R7 260x with a decent OC on GPU and VRAM.I also had a slot blower fan exhausting heat below it, two 90mm fans in the front, and a 90mm fan on the outside rear top for exhaust with the psu at the topmost rear spot. All in all it worked pretty well with an OC Phenom X4 9850, then a FX6350@4400 MHz.

So I remounted my rad to be exhaust in the top of my case, I took the cooler off and cleaned it and applied IC diamond (before I used the stock thermal paste). I think my temps actually got worse xD? To check for stability do I need to run small ffts on prime95? That produces so much heat and blend tests are 30C lower temperature wise. My current settings are 4.7GHZ 1.235VCore with LLC 3 which just boosts the voltage to 1.25V at full load. I wonder about putting the rad in the front because there seems to be quite a lot of air in my H115i if I were to front mount it the pump would end up in the top of the loop and the air would most definitely end up in the pump... When I shake the unit you hear a lot of sloshing, not just a small amount of air. The current settings and orientation yield 77-82C with small fft on an 8 hour run in a 18C basement

77-82C with small ffts is great temp wise. Hearing sloshing seems scary though, I don't believe I have any of that with my H115i...

77-82C with small ffts is great temp wise. Hearing sloshing seems scary though, I don't believe I have any of that with my H115i...

Those temps seem good even at 1.25vcore? How do people run with 1.35vcore doing small fft I would hit over 100c

As for the sloshing I thought it seemed odd but people said bubbles will settle out but this sounds like more than bubbles to me tho...

Some people don't care that their CPU hits 95C. I'm not a huge fan of high temps since electronics degrade faster at higher temps. Someone will argue it's not an issue with people here because you'll likely upgrade before degradation is an issue, I'd rather just try to mitigate it as much as possible.

I dropped ~30C with my 7700k with delidding and applying liquid metal between the die and heat spreader. It's not for everyone and it certainly voids your warranty...

your temps are pretty much in line with what this dude got.
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/corsair_h115i/3.htm
what are you using to monitor temps with? what kind of temps are you seeing when you game? prime95 is great for stress testing but you will rarely if ever see temps that high during normal operation, including gaming.

I use corsair link, coretemp and HWMonitor (they all say the same thing I usually just use one) I haven't gamed yet I don't even have my 1080 in the case yet. Also that link you sent was for an 8 core and didn't talk about Vcore at all. The only thing I am wondering about is if I should hear sloshing in the loop when moving it around, it sounds like a decent amount of air not just a few bubbles. I probably just didn't win the lottery to hit 5GHz and that's fine in regards to my OC.

I would put link to the side when it comes to important information. They've been working on that dam software for 5+ years and still can't get it right. Maybe it's better now, idk.

Use Coretemp with Prime95. Don't forget, the newer prime versions after say 27 cause a ton of heat because of the use of certain CPU instructions. You'll never get that kind of load in the real world. I would use handbrake and folding@home if you really wanna push everything for a testing environment.

I would put link to the side when it comes to important information. They've been working on that dam software for 5+ years and still can't get it right. Maybe it's better now, idk.

Use Coretemp with Prime95. Don't forget, the newer prime versions after say 27 cause a ton of heat because of the use of certain CPU instructions. You'll never get that kind of load in the real world. I would use handbrake and folding@home if you really wanna push everything for a testing environment.

Handbrake will be good for a stability test? I know I won't get that load in the real world but I just want to go for stability. People also talk about ida64 or something for stability tests don't they?

So I am trying RealBench which uses handbreak stuff I think? and I cant pass a stress test at stock settings but I think it is a driver issue... more to come...

Edit Update: Pro tip install motherboard drivers.... I am not proud of myself

Last edited:
I'm going to stop using this thread and make one under overclocking so I can learn about all these lovely new settings etc.

With the information from you guys I am guessing my H115i with its sloshing sound is fine, my temps do not seem crazy (unless running prime 95 small fft) and this seems to be the norm.

Thanks again to everyone who responded it was greatly appreciated!

So I am trying RealBench which uses handbreak stuff I think? and I cant pass a stress test at stock settings but I think it is a driver issue... more to come...

Edit Update: Pro tip install motherboard drivers.... I am not proud of myself

Before doing anything on a new or reformatted machine, install newest BIOS, system drivers i.e. GPU, MB, SSD(?), etc. and of course, Windows drivers with the newest versions of the benchmarks and monitoring programs with the exception to Prime95 in some cases.

Some benchmarks and monitoring programs I've used are from the following.

- Anvil Benchmark (SSD/HD)
- AS SSD Benchmark (SSD/HD)
- CinebenchR15 (Mainly CPU and some GPU)
- Coretemp (Monitoring)
- CPUz (CPU and System Info)
- Crystal Disk info (SSD/HD)
- GPUz (GPU Info and Monitoring)
- HWiNFO64 (Monitoring)
- Intel XTU (CPU)
- Prime95 (CPU)
- SuperPi (CPU)
- Unigine Heaven, Valley and Superposition (GPU)

These are the ones I mainly use. I'm sure there are more that I'm missing but a simple search in our Benchmarking section could find you the rest of the benchmarks that I might have no listed.

Back