• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7-4790K and H80i, are these normal temps and operation? :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Can you hear/feel the pump running?
Cold tubes typically means the pump isn't running.

You'll want to run at least 20 minutes before checking the tubes.

Im running 120 X 5 and my temps shoot to 99C instantly running small fft's at 1.3v. It is just a hot chip when pushed.

His temps are normal for this chip.

Im running 120 X 5 and my temps shoot to 99C instantly running small fft's at 1.3v. It is just a hot chip when pushed.

His temps are normal for this chip.

He is getting this on large FFTs also.
And he's also at stock.

He is getting this on large FFTs also.
And he's also at stock.

Post #6 he is running smalls, and ran it for 20 minutes.

His temps are normal for his set up.

Mine have done similar on the same voltage.

You have the latest version of prime that really heats these chips up, and a small die area.

On another note I learned from RGE

These temps will rise with Prime under load as the vcore rises .02, which puts OPs vcore to 1.29v under load.

Post #6 he is running smalls, and ran it for 20 minutes.

His temps are normal for his set up.

Mine have done similar on the same voltage.

You have the latest version of prime that really heats these chips up, and a small die area.

I'm just trying to get him to double-check that the cooler is functioning properly by running Blend for ~20 minutes and seeing if the tubes and/or radiator heat up.

I'm just trying to get him to double-check that the cooler is functioning properly by running Blend for ~20 minutes and seeing if the tubes and/or radiator heat up.

nothing wrong with that....but his temps are normal. Also if he runs prime 28.5 blend for 20 mins his temps will hit 100C. Because prime 28.5 runs each ffts for 3 mins, and will cycle through small ffts during first 20 mins.

He is also not at stock, stock is 4ghz turbo to 4.4. turbo load with prime 28.5 would limit mhz to 4.2ghz. He is at 4.59 ghz with 1.27V idle (1.29v prime load).

Here are my temps, before I delidded with 4.7ghz and 1.29v with
prime blend for 1 hour: temps high 90's (because hit small ffts after few mins) cpu package power when hit small ffts on blend 175W
Prime blend for 2 mins: temps 70's, because didnt hit small ffts yet. cpu package power during blend first large ffts 130W

your 2600k has solder tim, if 4790k had solder tim then temps would 70's even at 175W load.

nothing wrong with that....but his temps are normal. Also if he runs prime 28.5 blend for 20 mins his temps will hit 100C. Because prime 28.5 runs each ffts for 3 mins, and will cycle through small ffts during first 20 mins.

He is also not at stock, stock is 4ghz turbo to 4.4. turbo load with prime 28.5 would limit mhz to 4.2ghz. He is at 4.59 ghz with 1.27V idle (1.29v prime load).

Here are my temps, before I delidded with 4.7ghz and 1.29v with
prime blend for 1 hour: temps high 90's (because hit small ffts after few mins) cpu package power when hit small ffts on blend 175W
Prime blend for 2 mins: temps 70's, because didnt hit small ffts yet. cpu package power during blend first large ffts 130W

your 2600k has solder tim, if 4790k had solder tim then temps would 70's even at 175W load.

Stock Speed, Sir ATMINSIDE.

Um, I used the TEST in Prime96 of Maximum Power Consumption (In Place Large FTTs). Is that why? My H80i fans were set in Performance Mode.

Because I'm doing a test now of, the third option, Blend. Now getting Max of 55 C under Corsair 'Performance Mode'.

I was simply going by when the OP said that it was stock...

I also have a 4770K, which gets tortured much more than the 2600K.

I was simply going by when the OP said that it was stock...

yeah that confused me as well, but his bclk is 102 and multi is 45, and vcore ? stock either

There are people on oc.net though that have vids 1.25v and 1.27v at stock, and they are hitting 100C with good aftermarket air and aio water cooling with prime 28.5 blend, which is why many now wont run it. There is even a thread on this site where one individual got upset when someone told him to run prime 28.5 at stock settings, and his cpu hit 100C.

yeah that confused me as well, but his bclk is 102 and multi is 45, and vcore ? stock either

There are people on oc.net though that have vids 1.25v and 1.27v at stock, and they are hitting 100C with good aftermarket air and aio water cooling with prime 28.5 blend, which is why many now wont run it. There is even a thread on this site where one individual got upset when someone told him to run prime 28.5 at stock settings, and his cpu hit 100C.

Yeah, I see that now. I had to skim some of the posts after running to the store :rolleyes:

You mean when I told him to run it? Yeah, I remember.
Doesn't matter though, the chip throttles back to keep the 100°C max temp.

Makes me wonder what changed so much from previous versions to cause that.

Yeah, I see that now. I had to skim some of the posts after running to the store :rolleyes:

You mean when I told him to run it? Yeah, I remember.
Doesn't matter though, the chip throttles back to keep the 100°C max temp.

Makes me wonder what changed so much from previous versions to cause that.

didnt realize it was you. But you didnt do anything wrong, cpus just throttle as you know. I would have told him to run the same and would still do so, but glad you beat me to that one :D

prime 28.5 fully utilizes avx plus fma3.
prime 27.9 partially utilizes avx, runs 10C cooler
prime 25.1 doesnt utlized avx or fma3, runs 20+C cooler

didnt realize it was you. But you didnt do anything wrong, cpus just throttle as you know. I would have told him to run the same and would still do so, but glad you beat me to that one :D

prime 28.5 fully utilizes avx plus fma3.
prime 27.9 partially utilizes avx, runs 10C cooler
prime 25.1 doesnt utlized avx or fma3, runs 20+C cooler

Yep, I would tell him to do it again even.

Ah, didn't know those latest updates were for new instruction sets, that makes sense now.

I haven't had a change to touch or feel the pump running, but Corsair Link shows pump rpm varying a little up and down, so I think it's working

But as outhouse said, my temp are normal :)

Back