• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help overclocking G3258 on H81M-plus

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

law111

hi,
I recently bought an Asus H81M-plus motherboard and flashed the new 2001 bios which supports G3258 overclocking using EZ flash. But after I set the overclocking values, they seem to not apply. It shows on the Ai Tweaker menu that the Target CPU turbo speed is what I have set and it keeps the data, but when I check it after I boot into ubuntu using cpu-g (linux alternative of cpu-z), the clock speed keeps at 3.2 Ghz(stock clockspeed).Also, the bios won't let me bring the ram speed over 1333mhz.
here are the specs
motherboard: Asus H81M-plus
cpu: Intel pentium G3258 (stock cooling)
hdd: western digital 1TB WD10EZEX
ram: crucial 4Gb 1600Mhz *2
I have tried clearing the cmos and reflashing the bios but had no luck.I tested underclocking @3Ghz and it applyed and showed on cpu-g, so I am quite confused now.
Does anyone have the same problem?

Are you stressing a single core so the Turbo feature enables? I was under the assumption that it won't overclock until you need it, so being idle lets the processor run stock, or under stock.

Even with a BIOS that overclocks, I'd be shocked if you are able to overclock on an H81 chipset.....

That said enable the overclock, and see if you can run a full load on the CPU. It might be what thideras has mentioned - only overclocks under load.
I use prime95, but I'm unsure if Linux has a similar tool.. Maybe Linpack?

I did disable the turbo feature and ran some stress tests using a software called system profiler and benchmark and another called stress, the scores and the clock speed didn't change after I increased the clock speed in the bios.
Before I bought the components I did some research and found this thread
http://www.ukgamingcomputers.co.uk/overclocking-pentium-g3258-on-h81-b75-h87-h97-chipsets-a-60.html
I haven't tried to push the hardware that hard but I can't even raise the clock speed by 0.1ghz on 1.2v. So it can't be because the voltage is too low.
are there any other reasons that might cause the overclock to not apply?

Even with a BIOS that overclocks, I'd be shocked if you are able to overclock on an H81 chipset.....

Ahem... actually it does work.

2G3258_43_40_Fixed_Team1333_LLC_Extreme_Delidded_XTUCopy_zpse9a90999.png~original

I did disable the turbo feature
are there any other reasons that might cause the overclock to not apply?
Enable Turbo and this is the important option making it work - change vcore option to Manual and try again.

Good luck. :)

Ahem... actually it does work.

Overclocking on "H" based chipsets is really up to the motherboard manufacturer. Intel doesn't support overclocking on those chipsets.

So it really depends on the board itself. yours however seems to work fine so :thup: for you

The default multiplier for a G3258 is 32. Intel Turbo Boost needs to be enabled in the processor to go beyond this. If you have a motherboard that does not have a bios available to support overclocking of these new Pentium chips then try this.

ThrottleStop 7.00
https://www.sendspace.com/file/xrar30

It writes multiplier and turbo boost and voltage information directly to the CPU so bios support should not be necessary.

Thanks unclewebb, but i am currently using ubuntu so I can't use the tool.
And I really want to figure out why it won't work.
I have searched the bios but there is no option called vcore option, are there any other names for that option? Should it be in the AI Tweak manual?

Overclocking on "H" based chipsets is really up to the motherboard manufacturer. Intel doesn't support overclocking on those chipsets.

So it really depends on the board itself. yours however seems to work fine so :thup: for you

Asus made it possible to overclock the Pentium on other chipsets. But if overclocking was the purpose, i would have gone Z anyway while buying.

Thanks unclewebb, but i am currently using ubuntu so I can't use the tool.
And I really want to figure out why it won't work.
I have searched the bios but there is no option called vcore option, are there any other names for that option? Should it be in the AI Tweak manual?
Under the AI Tweaker subsection, look around for something like "CPU Core Voltage" and its mode of operation - make sure it is set to Manual, not Auto or Offset.

I have turned on both turbo and turned CPU Core Voltage to manual and set it to 1.6v(1.16v was what i meant to say)@3.5GHzbut still no luck. Went I boot into Ubuntu or even just look at the current cpu speed that is stated in the bios, it is still @3.2GHz.....
Are there anything that I could be easily missed out?
This is only my first overclock so sorry for asking these questions and thx for answering.

Last edited:
I have turned on both turbo and turned CPU Core Voltage to manual and set it to 1.6v @3.5GHzbut still no luck. Went I boot into Ubuntu or even just look at the current cpu speed that is stated in the bios, it is still @3.2GHz.....
Are there anything that I could be easily missed out?
This is only my first overclock so sorry for asking these questions and thx for answering.
Don't worry... at this rate that you are going, your chip might not last very long! I am hoping that that's just a typo... else take it easy and go a lot slower on the vcore. :shock:

iirc, the Asus BIOS will always state the stock speeds and default VID, Intel Speedstep also keeps idle clocks low within the OS but once stress loaded, the speed will ramp up to the set o'ced Turbo speed.

Pls also read up on a few o'c guides 1st. :)

sorry, typo.
1.16v is what I mean.
I ran some stress testest @3.2GHz and supposedly 3.8GHz but the scores hadn't change and the frequency shown is still 3.2.
So, any ideas or things that I should try?

To explain my situation a bit clearer, hear are the list of changes i did to the bios
cpu core ratio auto-> sync all cores
1.core ratio limit 35
2.core ratio limit 35
EPU Power Saving Disabled
Enhanced Intel Speed up tech Disabled
Extreme Over Voltage Disabled
CPU core voltage maual mode 1.160V
CPU C state Disabled
the turbo mode option seems to appear only when I first installed the bios or I clear the cmos, Once I set it to manual, the option would be gone when I renter the bios.
Have I missed anything to set?
Thanks

Maybe enable Enhanced Intel Speed up?
Because that's what controls the turbo stuff...

I have just tried turning intel speed up on but still no luck......thx anyway

I have seem to have found out the problem,
I posted my issue in another forum and someone replied that in order to overclock the g3258,
I must update the bios in windows 7 so that I could update the motherboard ME.......:bang head
Thanks for the replies and I'll see what I can do:)

I have seem to have found out the problem,
I posted my issue in another forum and someone replied that in order to overclock the g3258,
I must update the bios in windows 7 so that I could update the motherboard ME.......:bang head
Thanks for the replies and I'll see what I can do:)

Huh? That's not making sense. There's no "BIOS" in Windows :confused:

Back