• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

990FXA-UD3 Rev. 4 Overclocking Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BigJunior

Registered
3 weeks ago I assembled my current computer. Compared to my old toaster this thing already runs like a bat outta hell. But atop this FX-8350 is a barely used H100i. I'd love to get into over clocking, but in my BIOS, I can't change any of the clock or voltage settings. I've spent the last few days enjoying a 4.6GHz oc using AMD Overdrive, but I want something a little more in depth, a little less user friendly.

Here's the specs
AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz
GB 990FXA-UD3 REV 4.0(BIOS Version F2)
Corsair H100i
Avexir Core Series 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz
EVGA GTX 770 SC w/ ACX Cooler
Rosewill Hive Series 750W Semi modular
Samsung 840 EVO 120GB Boot Drive
WD Black 1TB Secondary
NZXT Sentry 2 fan controller
Samsung Optical drive
Corsair Carbide 400R case

I was able to achieve a 4.7 overclock that was stable, 1.42v. Unfortunately those settings were not saved.
I am beginning to think if I want to over clock via BIOS, I'm going to have to flash a new bios...

If you go to MIT -> Advanced Frequency Settings -> CPU Clock Ratio
You're unable to change that setting?

Well, my sincere apologies for wasting your time. Thought you had to press enter, and then type the setting. Still getting used to the UEFI BIOS. I got it figured out.

Well, my sincere apologies for wasting your time. Thought you had to press enter, and then type the setting. Still getting used to the UEFI BIOS. I got it figured out.

Not wasting at all :)
UEFI was a struggle for me to adapt to as well. Shoot, my server is still on an old style BIOS, and I like it better :p

Feel free to pop in for tweaking tips as you test for stability as well!

I'd love to go back to an older bios. Unfortunately I'm not willing to risk it nor do I have money to replace any FUBAR parts yet

Going to an older BIOS version won't get you a different user interface for this motherboard.

Quick question. I'm in the process of over clocking. Every time I reboot, the PC will turn on, and not a second later it'll turn off, then back on. It'd repeat that a couple more times, so I upped the voltage to 1.4v at a 4.5GHz clock. Now it'll cycle once and then its fine. Is that a good thing, bad, what do I have to do to fix it, is it fixable?

I can't remember if my AM3+ board did that or not back when I had it heavily OC'd.

If it's only once, and it's consistent, I wouldn't worry a thing about it.

That's pretty common on those Giga boards. There is a way to fix it. If I remember correctly make sure that HPC is enabled and then set the turbo to the same OC frequency of 4.5 IIRC Don't think it's called turbo but core clibration , just not sure there's a thread here I'll have to dig up.

HPC hasn't been disabled, got the turbo clock set to match the clock ratio, and now it fires right up

Good, guess I don't have to keep looking for it. :thup:

No need I suppose. Also found out the RAM I have does not like to run any faster than the stock speed. No big dealio though. Let's see if this thing will hit 5.0...

No need I suppose. Also found out the RAM I have does not like to run any faster than the stock speed. No big dealio though. Let's see if this thing will hit 5.0...

Don't forget to test for stability :thup:

Good reminder, if its stable at 4.8 then that'd be a good sign to keep going

Not sure how you're raising the speed but it should. It's 1600 9-9-9 at 1.5v, try setting the voltage to 1.65v it won't hurt it and should give you some headway.

Wow. AOD won't even do the stability test at 4.8. Computer just reboots. Windows 8.1 hated anything over 4.6 when I was over clocking with AOD.

EDIT: I was changing the frequency(I believe) in Advanced Memory Settings from 8(1600MHz) to 9.33(1866MHz).

Sounds like it needs more vCore to be stable at 4.8
Have you tried Prime95 Blend?

At 4.8 you'll be getting into some more serious voltage, I wouldn't be surprised if you need 1.48v+ to get stable. AOD stability is a bit more lax than P95 blend so you might get away with a bit less. It all depends on the CPU itself.

Back