• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for quiet UPS for my new system.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zonnza

Hello everyone, I'm in the process of updating my rig and have come down to the need of grabbing a UPS.
I never had one before and I live very near Tampa, FL; aka Lightning capital of the world.

About a month ago I was with a friend at a local tiger direct for something he wanted to get and I decided to impulse but a UPS thinking that it would be good to go. I picked up a Ultra Xfinity 1400va (840w) UPS for 130ish bucks. I didn't even bother to take it out of the box till today just to charge it and get ready to use it. I encountered an issue with it...

It is TOO DAMN LOUD!

This things fan makes it sound like a hairdryer on low settings. I am going to attempt to return it or exchange for a different UPS since Im sure im over the return policy time...

My current rig is running a corsair hx 1000w PSU, but I need to buy a new one since this one is starting to slowly go bad (die?) on me. I realized that I will no longer run 2+ GPU setups in the future and determined I would buy a corsair 850w PSU for the next rig where I would run my one 780ti and if I upgrade in the future, Im 95% sure it will be a single card setup.

There are only 3 things I want to have powered: PC, Monitor, and 1 small sound system(2 speakers, subwoofer). I am looking for a nearly silent, if not silent completely, so I need some help. I have considered the option of buying 2 UPS's (one for the PC, the other for the monitor+soundsystem) just so I can have silence.

What UPS's can you guys recommend that are silent or extremely quiet (this is a major major requirement)? The case I use is a HAF 932 with default fans and I got a corsair H100 for cooling mounting to the top (inside case, removed the 240mm fan), so that should give an idea of the sound I get just from the PC tower, I would like something similar or quieter when system is idle (for nighttime). System is on 24/7 and in the same room I sleep in.

Thanks for any help.

Have you waited for it to finish charging? It's normal for many of them to run the fan at full speed while charging.

This is a good point, it isnt fully charged yet but I'll wait on it. Thanks for the help.

Still looking for possible alternatives incase this one fails the sound test, so any help is appreciated.

You'll have a hard time finding a fanless UPS of that power rating. At 95% efficiency (which is a very good UPS), there would be just under 45W of heat dissipated inside at full power. It's possible to make such a design fanless but it's much more cost effective to just put in a fan.

You can use the UPS for the PC only and just a surge protector for the monitor and speakers. If the UPS has a variable speed fan, reducing the load on it will let the fan run slower.

Back