• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there any DDR4 that will work in my ASUS X99 Deluxe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bobjackson

Registered
Hi everyone,

My problem is not really with the mobo, but instead with the Noctua NH-D15 cooler. My case allows for the second cooler fan to be moved up, supposedly giving me 37mm of clearance for the RAM on that side.

I'm looking to get 32gb (4x8gb) RAM, and was ideally going to go for a 2400 kit from G.Skill. But the heat spreaders leave the RAM around 41mm tall. I'm thinking about trying to run the cooler with the second fan detached, as I've read that some people have done this.

And according to the ASUS QVL page

"4 DIMMs: Supports four (4) modules inserted into four dark gray slots as two pairs of Quad-channel memory configuration. Install the modules into slots A1/B1/C1/D1 for bettercompatibility."

Does this mean I HAVE TO use two slots on each side of the CPU? What would happen if I plugged all the RAM sticks in beside each other on one side of the CPU (assuming they would fit 4 side by side).

The only lower profile DDR4 seem to be the Vengeance LPX, which cost a lot more. And even those look like they'd be too tall.

I plan on overclocking my 5930k a bit, will only using one cooler fan on the Noctua cause heating issues?

What is my best option here?

I would assume all memory on one side would be dual channel mode if it works at all. Removing a fan will add a couple of degrees to your load temps.

Given how cool running ddr 3 is, and how ddr 4 is even lower power, your best bet is probably buying ram without any heatspreaders at all.

I'll see if I can find some without heat spreaders, and hopefully it'll fit. I saw a picture of the DDR4 G.Skill without the heat spreaders, and it looked pretty tall even then.

There are Crucial 2133 8GB modules available without heatsinks and soon will be Ballistix Sport. I will post some results of these sticks without heatsinks later. Probably you won't find anything cheaper ... but it doesn't mean they're bad.

I searched that RAM name and found these:

http://www.ncix.com/detail/crucial-8gb-ddr4-2133-cl16-dr-bd-100641.htm

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148839

When looking at the descritions, the cheaper, single stick one says non-ECC. I'm not sure what that means. And they both say Server Memory in the title. Is server memory any different? I would guess it would be lower spec, but that's just an assumption.

The single stick order would work out to around $480 for 32gb, which is decent. The double stick order would be around $800 for 32gb, which is WAY too much.

I also found this on Newegg:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicati...gclid=COK-ismU1sACFRNffgoddD0Auw&gclsrc=aw.ds

But after searching Google and Crucial's own site, I can't find a height measurement on any of these sticks. Also, I have heard not-so-good things about Crucial memory in the recent past. Is there a significant quality difference between Crucial when compared to Corsair and G.Skill?

I really appreciate the help. I've already got most of my parts sitting at home, and it's killing me to wait for the mobo and RAM.

You need non-ECC memory. ECC needs Xeon CPUs.

Here is 4x4GB kit:
http://www.newegg.com/global/pl/Pro...860&cm_re=crucial_ddr4-_-20-148-860-_-Product

Really there is no special difference except what you see outside so heatsinks. G.Skill and Crucial are selling higher clocked memory with heatsinks while linked Crucial memory is basic version of 2133 15-15-15 1.2V what is about lowest clock designed for the desktop market.

If you want be sure that memory make 2400/2666/2800 or higher clock then you can decide on G.Skill or Corsair memory. Crucial will probably also make 2666+ clock but it's not guaranteed as manufacturer is selling it as 2133 memory.

Today I've received press release that Crucial will offer Ballistix Sport 2400 that are as high as these modules without heatsinks. On the other hand something like Corsair Vengeance LPX is not much higher so it should work with nearly all large CPU coolers.

I'd prefer to get the LPX sticks, but they only come in 4x4gb packs from what I can see, and getting to packs would cost too much.

The Newegg.ca site has those Ballistix Sport 4x8gb sticks listed, and at a decent price. i don't have any current plans to OC my RAM, so is there any downside to going with those Crucial Ballistix Sport? I only ever see people talking about Corsair and Gskill RAM, so It leaves me wondering if there are issues with Crucial brand RAM.

My Crucial 2133 4x8GB kit is overclocking better than the Corsair 2666 4x4GB kit. I see no special downsides of getting Crucial except the esthetics as they come without heatsinks or with more standard heatsinks like Sport series offer. Corsair and G.Skill have improved XMP profiles and higher guaranteed clocks. Crucial will release their Elite series later this year and I think it will be really good looking at current memory from this manufacturer.

G.Skill has some more 32GB kits. Product numbers you can find on their site -> http://gskill.com/en/finder?cat=31&series=2275

Thanks for the help Woomack. I think I'm gonna go with the Ballistix Sport 2400. It's priced at $500 Canadian, which is about 50 bucks cheaper than any others I was looking at, and those others all had huge heat spreaders.

Back