• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Burstcoin HDD mining - The future of mining?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sounds like this is just asking for people to use a bunch of those USB drives that were being sold a few years ago with circular buffers so that the 256MB drive reported 2 GB of space...

I don't think that would work too well. The plotting program actually puts data on the drive that takes up the space.

plots.png

Also, anybody have a grasp if 7 TB is enough plots to try and solo? I seem to be getting not much more now at nearly 4 TB plotted as I was with 1 TB using the pools.

Also, Petteyg, you are overdue for a decennial badge

Last edited:
7TB = 4016 BURST/day.........
If that calc is correct (which it is after I compared your earnings a page back)

I don't know, one way to find out :cool:

Well, I was down for a while. Computer kept locking up for about 5-10 minutes at a stretch when I was burstmining. I took the 4TB drive out of the case and put it on SATA just in case I might have been having a problem with the USB3 ports. Didn't really make a difference. What seems to have made a difference was putting more RAM in the system. I went from 6GB to 14GB. There is the occasional slowdown, but it only runs a couple of seconds and doesn't happen that often.

I seem to be making about 2-3K BURST a day. Which works out to about $0.75 a day with current BTC and BURST prices. I'll probably keep doing it for a while longer since it isn't that much of an electrical hit. I'm also XMR mining on the same machine with 2 cards (7870 and a 280X).

I've found 2 blocks pool mining so far. I've only been back up and running for a few days now, so I think I'll wait a little longer to see if pull more than 1 block per 3 days.

Hmm, I got a total of 4 blocks as of 12 days ago. Then BAM, 2 more blocks within 5 hours.

I think I'm going to try and add another 4TB drive once I've saved up enough BTC.

Hmm, I got a total of 4 blocks as of 12 days ago. Then BAM, 2 more blocks within 5 hours.

I think I'm going to try and add another 4TB drive once I've saved up enough BTC.

Still worth mining this?
Damn, should mined this when I first heard of it :-/

Still worth mining this?
Damn, should mined this when I first heard of it :-/

Well, with about 7TB, I'm getting about .0025 BTC a day. It is mainly worth it due to its low electricity costs compared with other forms of mining. I'm using the figure of about 9W per drive, so with 3 drives I'm up to 27W to mine burstcoin.

Well, with about 7TB, I'm getting about .0025 BTC a day. It is mainly worth it due to its low electricity costs compared with other forms of mining. I'm using the figure of about 9W per drive, so with 3 drives I'm up to 27W to mine burstcoin.

Yeah damn.
Shoulda mined this :bang head

The .2Tb I have to spare won't be much :(

Yeah damn.
Shoulda mined this :bang head

The .2Tb I have to spare won't be much :(

If you do wind up getting a drive or two to use, remember that mapping takes a lot of RAM to do quickly. Also, I'd say that about 8GB is the absolute minimum RAM to have while mining. Any less and you get lockups that can run up to 10 minutes. 12 GB is a comfortable level to have.

That would cover ~ 60% of my electricity costs if I was mining.
I'd actually make profit! :shock:

Yeah, for a computer you already have running the additional power for the hard drives is a couple bucks a month.

Plus BTC is back up around $285

Probably not, but I'm doing on a folding system, so minimal impact. I'm currently at .166 BTC for a couple of months worth of this.

Nothing to sneeze at :thup:
Hodling the coins or selln'?

Also, are you still running that 50TB array for this??

Nothing to sneeze at :thup:
Hodling the coins or selln'?

Also, are you still running that 50TB array for this??

Converting to BTC when the exchange rate looks good. Running under 100 satoshi right now.

I've never had a 50TB array. I've got about 7TB on this.

Converting to BTC when the exchange rate looks good. Running under 100 satoshi right now.

I've never had a 50TB array. I've got about 7TB on this.

Huh... I thought someone here was setting up 50TB for BURST... :shrug:
Okay so 7Tb isn't all that much.....

I wouldn't mind mining this on some cheap dying drives.

Well, I'm finally giving up on Burst. It is down to under 31 Satoshi, and with my dying CPU, I can't even run it. I'll be building a new system , but I'm going to reclaim the hard drive space for backup purposes prior to the rebuild.

I mined just under a quarter million Burst.

http://burstcoin.biz/address/2158267185197193956

Back