• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I love messing with Best Buy employees

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you think BestBuy is wussy, think again. I think Staples is worse.....

Try getting a video card at Staples! At least, Best Buy has something reasonable for a video card selection in comparison.
Of course its worse... its sells OFFICE supplies, not enthusiast level GPUs. :screwy:

I mean you don't go to burger king or mcdonalds and expect a high end burger do you? 5 Guys or better!

you near Rockvale or Towsen ?
Rockville is about 30 minutes west of me while Towson is north of Bmore and around 45+ mins away.

I'm smack in the middle between D.C and Bmore. Rockville is directly west of me (~30 mins), while Towson is directly north (~40 mins). Im about 15 mins SSW of BWI, right off 295.

Looks to be about an hour and forty five from my place

Back when I was younger had season tickets for the Redskins and used to do door to door from Fedex Field in two Hours flat

RFK was a different story though

I use to work at best buy you know how you get into a department...You tell the department manager you know stuff about "x" item then your in the department.

bestbuy pays crappy and their schedules suck. Great place for a young person to work to get their feet wet. All best buy wants is warm bodies been that way since 2007 when a bunch of higher up stuff changed. Best buy will go away eventually closing stores all the time.

I have to admit I hate dis-agreeing with salesmen or correcting them in front of "their" customer, but sometimes it's your duty as an enthusiast. The last time I was in Micro-Center the salesman was selling this kid an AMD 9XXX CPU with a H80i AIO and some no name 500W PSU. The salesman said "All PSU's are the same. You don't need to pay for a name." My jaw hit the floor. The kid saw my head turn-wide eyed reaction and waited for the salesman to leave then asked me what was wrong. I simple said if you want to use a small AIO on that beast of a chip that's fine, but please don't buy that garbage PSU. He ended up leaving with a nice EVGA S-Nova 650W or 750W(can't remember) PSU and upgraded his AIO to the H100i. I felt better for the kid than I did for my own purchase.

@daddyjax

I dig that commission tag removal thing :p It's not really wrong for you to do, though I suppose asking the manager if that situation applies for commission would be more appropriate if you really disagreed with it.

But I'm sometimes an A hole... and thinking about eh... maybe 50% of computer store experiences, I can definitely relate to wanting to rain on someone that rubbed you the wrong way's parade.

If they're cool though, I don't think I'd waste the effort of pulling it off. Easy money is nice, nothin wrong with that.

Old thread but meh, someone alerted me to link and BB is fun.

geek squad at the one near me, tends to give me a wide berth. They know I know more than their entire crew put together, and that I am not beyond telling customers how to save money and where to get better products.

Im the kinda person who if I see a salesman actively BSing a customer, I will call them out on it. Just principle I guess.

The checkout staff like me tho, I come in with the online price so they don't have to look it up lol.

I guess Im just lucky with my best buy. Mine sells everything from r5 230's to gtx 980 ti's. Great selection of peripheral hardware (seriously, they have like 40 different keyboards and mice). As long as you dont talk to anyone besides the cashier, its a pleasurable experience. The staff here ARE knowledgeable, and thats the problem. My mother got talked into buying an i7 surface pro 3 tablet... she walked in to buy an E-reader to read books lol. After many hours of convincing her that YES I do actually know better (yall arent alone lol), I found the guy that sold it to her and asked why he pushed her into that product. He gave a legitimate run down of the superiority of the i7 over the other tablet processors, how it had more ram, etc etc. I was honestly not prepared for a knowledgeable sales rep! I told him that was fine and dandy, but he needs to pick his targets with a little more candor next time. I told him what she was actually going to use it for, and he showed me a nice asus tablet for 200$. No harm no foul, I still over bought, but it should last her a nice long time without being ludicrously over her needs.

At the end of the day, they work on commission. I doubt if they even CARE if what they are selling is what the customer needs. Lets be honest, the target demographic for best buy and staples is NOT logging on to overclockers.com gentlemen. Its like expecting a used car salesman to know how to change the alternator on the used vehicle you're purchasing. I doubt they would, and I doubt they care. Expecting more is a fools errand really.

really, BB picked up the commission model?

I actually applied to work sales in the computer dept once.
Was turned down by the store manager....reason being I was not "confident in my sales skills." I read this to mean I wasn't pushy in my sales approach, and preferred to listen to the needs of the customer.

Probably same reason I never have been able to get a job at wal-mart, their personality quiz likely shows me to be the type that would complain about unfair treatment by management.

I do have to say the BB closest to me has gone the "new store" route, where they have cut down on DVDs/Blu-rays, on software, on hardware for sale.

It's like its more of a physical store meant for you to buy stuff on your smart devices.

really, BB picked up the commission model?

I actually applied to work sales in the computer dept once.
Was turned down by the store manager....reason being I was not "confident in my sales skills." I read this to mean I wasn't pushy in my sales approach, and preferred to listen to the needs of the customer.

Probably same reason I never have been able to get a job at wal-mart, their personality quiz likely shows me to be the type that would complain about unfair treatment by management.

I do have to say the BB closest to me has gone the "new store" route, where they have cut down on DVDs/Blu-rays, on software, on hardware for sale.

It's like its more of a physical store meant for you to buy stuff on your smart devices.

If they arent paid commission, they certainly have an incentive somewhere. They are not a help desk, keep that in mind, they are business trying to make money. Can't fault them too much in that regard, as thats kind of the point.

edit: Ill be damned.

http://blog.bestbuymobile.com/2011/06/13/no-we-dont-work-on-commission/

I don't buy it though. If they werent paid commission, what benefit do they get for sharking agressively as they do...? That's kind of odd. My apologies for saying they were commissioned though; kinda just assumed lol.

edit 2:
And here it is... haha

http://www.cnet.com/news/7-things-electronics-salespeople-wont-tell-you/
4. It doesn't matter whether we make commission, we're all equally pushy.
When I worked at Best Buy, many customers would say, "You just want me to buy this stuff 'cause you're on commission" (I wasn't). For employees not on commission, hours are based on whether sales goals are reached. If I didn't meet my goal for the day, I'd see a cut in hours. On the other hand, if I landed a $40,000 sale, my hours increased.

What does this mean for you? If you want the best customer service, don't let the salesperson know you are "comparing prices" or "shopping around"--that's a red flag for them. Sure, you'll be helped if you're the only one on the sales floor, but customers who show a genuine interest in purchasing something get the special treatment. Lead the salesperson on a little bit--trust me, you'll get a lot more help that way.

Back