• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR4 Ram, when will start to see the fancy stuff?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
I am planning my X99 rig out.

I have been looking at ram, and as we all know, this is new, and costs more than enough.

What annoys me is that so far, only Corsair have brought Custom case worthy ram to the table.

I dont know what the US market looks like but my only options are, Crucial or Corsair. The Crucial are boring green sticks, and Corsair are as always overpriced.

How long till we start to see a change in this market? Months or years?

So, its tough to answer when you do not define what is 'worthy ram'...are you talking aesthetics only it seems or performance?

I personally like the look of the Kingston kits, but, being in the US, I have no idea if they are available.

Here is a list of DDR4 available in the states...I have to imagine most/all of these are available somewhere around you. Perhaps someone that is from Europe can help you find them if overclock.uk and scan do not have them...

Last edited:
I care about performance, to a certain point. Coming from 1866mhz to 2133mhz, is fine for me, but would like 2666mhz CL15 instead of 2133mhz CL15. I just dont like to ruin a nice looking motherboard, waterccoling and all that, with some stupid green sticks.

Honestly, the only choices I find in my useual stores are Crucial and Corsair. I see G.Skill has a wide range, but they havnt hit Denmark (at least) yet.

Im going to search Germany now, and see what they can offer. It really seems like slim pickings, and as for Kingston, they normally have a huge range in all price and perforamnce classes, but not yet for me anyways...

Im a kid in a candy, and limit choice isnt funny.

As of right now, its a pain selling my Z87 stuff anyway, so this could take a while.

All manufacturers should have DDR4 since next month. Some of them focus more on Asian market. I know that brands like Avexir have new series but they're not available in US/EU. The same Geil, ADATA or Team Group will release something with delay.
In EU we have almost only Corsair ( as they were in bundle with MSI motherboards ), Crucial ( which was 1st DDR4 on every market ) and G.Skill which is listed but in many stores not available.

What is weird is that most manufacturers have problems with even review samples. Think that brands like Kingston or ADATA that are the biggest memory manufacturers had 1-3 review samples for the whole Europe ( info from their PR ).
US or some Asian countries are better market for new, high end hardware than EU so some manufacturers start there.

As you could see manufacturers didn't make any special binning for their kits. Most DDR4 2133-2800 are on the same IC and have similar OC potential. Not many kits are higher clocked or it's something like preview sample to show that their brand can make 3200-3333 clock.

Ripjaws4 3000 seem the best option right now if you compare price and used IC. Crucials 2133 are standard modules but are overclocking really good. Corsair as you noticed is overpriced as usual.

All manufacturers should have DDR4 since next month. Some of them focus more on Asian market. I know that brands like Avexir have new series but they're not available in US/EU. The same Geil, ADATA or Team Group will release something with delay.
In EU we have almost only Corsair ( as they were in bundle with MSI motherboards ), Crucial ( which was 1st DDR4 on every market ) and G.Skill which is listed but in many stores not available.

What is weird is that most manufacturers have problems with even review samples. Think that brands like Kingston or ADATA that are the biggest memory manufacturers had 1-3 review samples for the whole Europe ( info from their PR ).
US or some Asian countries are better market for new, high end hardware than EU so some manufacturers start there.

As you could see manufacturers didn't make any special binning for their kits. Most DDR4 2133-2800 are on the same IC and have similar OC potential. Not many kits are higher clocked or it's something like preview sample to show that their brand can make 3200-3333 clock.

Ripjaws4 3000 seem the best option right now if you compare price and used IC. Crucials 2133 are standard modules but are overclocking really good. Corsair as you noticed is overpriced as usual.

In Germany i found Team Group and Geil ram, that should be coming in, in about a months time. So yes they are on the way, but as far as motherboards, we are already spoiled for choice, which is why i found it strange the ram is lagging behind.

I'll have to be patient, maybe start with a small 8gb dual set, and hold out for the better stuff in 6months time. Pretty sure i can get by with 8Gb ram.

If you can live with standard RAM for some time then Crucial 4x4GB 2133 kit is quite good option. You can overclock it easily to 2666 at even tighter timings than stock. Other option is to get ripjaws4 3000 kit which isn't so expensive comparing to other, lower clocked kits.

I don't think that Geil or Team Group will offer higher quality than G.Skill. They often have issues with early memory series like too low voltage in specs or problems with binning so the same kits can overclock good or barely run stable on stock clocks.

Kingston seem solid option and they're starting to appear in EU stores. I think they replace existing 1.5V kits with 1.35V so retail DDR4 will run at lower voltages than review samples.

If you can live with standard RAM for some time then Crucial 4x4GB 2133 kit is quite good option. You can overclock it easily to 2666 at even tighter timings than stock. Other option is to get ripjaws4 3000 kit which isn't so expensive comparing to other, lower clocked kits.

I don't think that Geil or Team Group will offer higher quality than G.Skill. They often have issues with early memory series like too low voltage in specs or problems with binning so the same kits can overclock good or barely run stable on stock clocks.

Kingston seem solid option and they're starting to appear in EU stores. I think they replace existing 1.5V kits with 1.35V so retail DDR4 will run at lower voltages than review samples.

I know i can live with lower end ram to start with. I have never played around with ram OC, but this may be the time to learn?

Sounds like a waste of cash to buy things twice... but hey, its not my cash (I have learned patience to wait for the 'right' parts).

Point is that if you want DDR4 now then you have no big choice. Cheaper kit will for sure lose less on value in time and for daily work, games etc I don't think you need anything better. But really if you want to buy something now and keep it for longer then maybe that Ripjaws4 4x4GB 3000 CL15 kit is the best option. Well, I would buy it ... but I have slightly different and not always reasonable point of view at these things :p

Sounds like a waste of cash to buy things twice... but hey, its not my cash (I have learned patience to wait for the 'right' parts).

Buying things twice, is one thing, if i buy and use for 6 months, then i'll still sell the old kit used, and get what i want when it comes out. With more people joining the market, it should also bring down prices a tiny bit.

and for 4000+ kits all will be rebuying motherboards and maybe CPUs too as current stepping is really bad for OC

Well... I dont plan on OCing ram, never have felt a need for it, i would be fine with 2666Mhz ram.

But yeh, i pretty much am at a point of no return. tomorrow i will be taking my current rig apart and selling the motherboard, CPU and ram.

Looks like theres still 2 weeks before the Asus X99-E WS hits shelves here, so its time to finally get all my wiring done.. yay!

Back