• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New SSD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

colt1911

Registered
Well I made a bad mistake when I bought my current ssd which only has 256gb, so now I'm looking for a 512gb . I was wondering which brand you guys could recommend ? I'm trying to stay away from OCV due to the fact that this is my third one from them . They replaced two due to failure . I appreciate any advice you can give me thanks.

Just an FYI, if you're using this for Lenovo T440 laptops, they are reportedly killing 840 Pro SSDs. link

Learned the hard way at my work.

Thanks so much for all your help . So I guess it's between the Samsung Evo and the Crucial . I've read some of the reviews on the EGG about Samsung not honoring their warranty so that's why I came here to ask you guys which was best . I can't always rely on those reviews but I know I can here. Thanks again.

Just think of the newegg reviews, as one big playground for trolls. You are far better off checking on forums like this to get honest feedback from people who have used the product. I really don't care about someone who purports to have " high technical expertise" and make a statement like "my computer booted in x seconds" Not particularly helpful.

Actually, forums can be a bit of a crapshoot too - people tend to suggest buying what they themselves have already bought, even if it's no longer the best choice. The Samsung groupthink is predictable. Those drives are no longer the price/performance leader, but they were at one point, so a lot of people bought them. Folks who haven't done homework since their purchase don't realize the Crucial option is better.

Me, I'm recommending what I bought as well, but I did the research about two weeks ago. The most current information says 'MX100 is a better purchase than the Samsung 840 Evo, unless they cost exactly the same, then it's a wash.'

It's all about doing research, and not relying on one source of information.

Anandtech has a good SSD test suite that uses typical users programs for testing, as does toms.

But like others said cruxial MX100 will be best bang for buck. Best performance regardless of cost will be Samsung 840/850 or sandisk extreme pro. However in normal use, you wont notice difference in speed between crucial mx100 and samsung or sandisk, because all are hampered by 30-40 mb/s transfer speeds at low Q random read small file like 4k.

The one I am waiting for is Samsung nvme drive, which should come in same 2.5 form factor but will be first ssd to have 100 mb/s in Q1 random 4k reads (3x faster than any SSD drive available now including enterprise drives). That will be the first huge upgrade since intels X25m first came out. Even intels enterprise P3700 with 2G/s read/write comes to a crawl 30 mb/s 4k random read Q1. Though that samsung drive is due out later this year, supposedly.

I have crucial 1gb 550 (gaming drive), intel 330 (windows 10), sandisk extreme pro 480 (windows 7), and I cant tell any difference between 3, despite difference in speeds. But again all limited in small file read/write.

I have some crucial m500's pretty darn good.
some ocz's, they are crap and keep crapping out on me.
I have a few kingstons, they perform blah, they don't crap out on me.

Back