• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

msi gtx770 2gb problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

quickbot

Registered
Hello all! So here i am again with another problem :)

Ive upgraded my systen in last months and started getting glickes in browser and vlc player after 2+ hour gaming sessions. They appear like a QR code boxes with little many squares in it that flicker and change color(sometimes shape) when i scroll or target some link with cursor. been using this card for a bit more than a year and just now start to get that glich, so i wonder if my maximus vii hero or 4690k cpu isnt a cause of it? So was wondering if there is something that COULD help if i sheck or uncheck in bios? Or my vga is just starting to die on me?

Thank you!

Graphical glitches are not usually caused by something not making graphics like your CPU or mobo. What were the temps of your GPU after gaming? Have you tried to update your drivers be reinstalling the latest ones or rolling back a version or two?

Temps are always at 81C MAX, its something to do with turbo boost or something?! Its gliching for last few updates, but i havnt tryed like putting back 4+ driver updates so ill try again that.

Sounds to me like vram is glitching out, possibly as a result of heat. Any time crazy colors or graphical garbage starts to manifest I tend to suspect vram first. Setting a custom fan curve on the card or ramping up case fans to keep your temps a bit lower under stress could help. If you're overclocking the card at all you might want to try running at default or even downclocking the video memory a bit to see if it has any effect.

Still, normally if your vram's acting up it'll have the worst effects on your games. I'm not too sure what could cause glitches like this to happen exclusively in apps. Flash errors can cause artifacts and scramble in browsers, but that wouldn't affect VLC I don't think. The fact that it happens after long gaming sessions suggests heat is a factor somewhere though.

Ok, havnt had time to test anything out yet. But still bugs me that it started to happen one year after if whole year on was no glich at all. But ill try to set fan option higher as now my fans speed was at 34% all the time and last few days one of them got to 40% but never higher than that. So is there an option in bios to change it or i need software like msi afterburner or the EVGA one to do that? And if i have EVGA one, do i have to keep it open whole time or just change settings/save and quit?

Just want to make sure if cant i just rma it or its just my own fault/problem.

But still bugs me that it started to happen one year after if whole year on was no glich at all.
How much dust has built up in it in that year, that may be an issue if it is overheating.

Ok, havnt had time to test anything out yet. But still bugs me that it started to happen one year after if whole year on was no glich at all. But ill try to set fan option higher as now my fans speed was at 34% all the time and last few days one of them got to 40% but never higher than that. So is there an option in bios to change it or i need software like msi afterburner or the EVGA one to do that? And if i have EVGA one, do i have to keep it open whole time or just change settings/save and quit?

Just want to make sure if cant i just rma it or its just my own fault/problem.

Have you ever replaced the thermal pads or the thermal paste on it? Also have you ever blown the dust out of the heatsink and fans?

How much dust has built up in it in that year, that may be an issue if it is overheating.

There is no dust as i clean my pc very often as i have dog and cat. So atleast once a month o do it. And my card isnt overheating as its gets to max 81C(as ive read its standart profile for this card) Only stupid thing that i tought of is to try and clean with alcohol that part of the card whats goes in the pci slot, maby caught some dust or cat/dog hair. But prolly its not that as im too dumb to understand this on my own lol. But ill be home whole weekend and will work on this problem, starting with cleaning, then getting some old drivers and making a new fan profile with higher fan speed at lower temps.

PS: If all that fails, is it hard to change thermal paste on video card? Ive never done it but maby thats the problem...but who knows?!

80C, I believe, is the default throttling point for those cards IIRC. If your core is getting that hot, I have concerns about the VRMs getting hotter. Does this happen if you set the fan to 100%?

Have you ever replaced the thermal pads or the thermal paste on it? Also have you ever blown the dust out of the heatsink and fans?

Havnt touched any parts inside that card as its kinda brand new(1year isnt much) But i always blow out dust with compressor(not sure if its called in english the same)

80C, I believe, is the default throttling point for those cards IIRC. If your core is getting that hot, I have concerns about the VRMs getting hotter. Does this happen if you set the fan to 100%?

Ill find out on wekend as now not afterburner not evga OC software works for fan speed. My fans in monitoring tool always are 34%, sometimes gets 40%, but 99% of the time its 34% no matter if it idles @ 29C or when gaming at 81C. But im sure i have changed fan speeds for every temp raise.

Is there any other program that would allow me to setup my own nefault fan speed vs temp chart?

Did you take the fan control option off auto? It is unusual to see such a card not have manual control.

And if your fan speed never ramps up, that is also a problem. You can create profiles in MSI AB.

MSI AB/EVGA/Trixx... all of those programs do it.

Ok so i got msi afterburner and set up fan speeds manualy. Now i hear how awful it throttle at 71-78% speed ater than that annoying sound is gone.

So i did run furmark burn in test @ 1080p for 10minutes, my temps got to 78C @94% fan speed.... Is that ok ori should apply new thermal paste? Still didnt have change to game, but atm looks promising.

Ok, so i did it for the first time. furmark 1min benchmark @50% fan speed 73C @100% fan speed 64C

and 15min BURN-IN SCORE: 4696 points
46600 frames, 51 FPS, 70°C
Resolution: 1920x1080 (FS) - AA:0 samples
FPS: min:38, max:54, avg:51 - OPTIONS: DynBkg

but thats on 100% fan speed

so is it now ok or i can get better temps with getting thermal paste right?

Last edited:
Swapping the paste may or may not make a difference... It may may void.the warranty on the card too so its up to you.

Back