• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Odd USB Issue at my end

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
can someone explain in a general way whats going on for this guy and what the HAM is doing to cause this please? or point me at some links so Im not just plugging "Hamradio interfearence issues" into a search. I wonder if I dont have something like this in my area as well and would like to see if I can narrow it down some.

@op , amazing story!

Oh i did went to talk to him again he claims hes doing everything legal blah blah blah yet its messing with my stuff asked him again what changed he said the new attenna on his roof was added 3 weeks ago Soo apparently hes allowed to have a hobbie that intereferes with others lives and thats completely fine He also said i dont need to be a **** about it so i told him he doesnt find a way hes gonna hear a loud crash in the middle of the night cause im tired of this crap

He expects me to buy and put like 50 chokes on my pc cause his hobbie is being an over excessive HAM Space boy in the middle of a city!!! not country city!

can someone explain in a general way whats going on for this guy and what the HAM is doing to cause this please? or point me at some links so Im not just plugging "Hamradio interfearence issues" into a search. I wonder if I dont have something like this in my area as well and would like to see if I can narrow it down some.

@OP , amazing story!

He's getting bombarded with super strong radio frequencies and it's interrupting all his in-home 2.4GHz.

Step 1: Lodge complaint with FCC
Step 2: Build a Faraday Cage! :D

If he's a licensed Ham, he can broadcast some decent power...but only in certain frequencies. Chances are his "new" amplifier is not band-limiting his power. The other common mistake you see is that folks don't include their antenna gains in their power calculations. A dish antenna adds A LOT of antenna gain!

THats crazy... i was going to say i have been having similar problems.. but come to find out all my usb devices were on a hub that needed power.. the hub power cord wasnt supplying enough amps to drive them all and i just eneded up increasing the amprage with a different power supply.. problem solved... but crazy odd how radio waive would cancel out hard wired usb devices...

I have got some sad news for you. I AM a HAM operator. If indeed this man is licensed etc there is NOTHING the city can do about. YOUR options are somewhat limited. First I do suggest you get a hold of some RF filters. This ham may even have a few to help you with. Next. internet interference. You need to contact your provider and have them find the 'leak'. See the ham radio operator there is not only legal to do what he is doing BUT only the FCC can intervene. I personally have dealt with this with TW Cable. The cable co tried to tell me I was not allowed to use the frequencies i was using. This is an issue of cheap cable from your provider. You may also have a poor or damaged connection. Max power he (the ham) is allowed by FCC rules is 1500 watts. YES 1500!! Please let us know how this works out. If you need further information please do contact me here and I'll be happy to help.

Z

TY Atminside,

I see this around here (Dayton Ohio) a lot. If the ham is a good operator he will help resolve this with the OP. Most good hams do not want any kind of problems with their neighbors. Im guessing because of the amount of interference the OP is getting the ham is using "HF". This refers to operating frequencies below 28mHz. Combine that with the fact he is allowed to use up to 1500 watts and its easy to see what kind of havoc this can cause on small sensitive computer equipment. Again I urge the OP to talk with the ham and see if they can figure out a good solution. It may be the ham has a grounding issue or what not. For me this would be the first place to start. I am hoping the fella is a good ham and will do his part to help fix this matter. Again if more info is needed please do post here or contact me.

TC
Z

Back