• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build - Salvaging oldtimer stuff.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
We usually suggest around here not to use colored fluid in general for 24/7 rigs unless the user is willing to do the required maintenance. The tradeoff isn't really worth it and much more of a headache. I'd only do it for show rigs and having extra money to throw away.

Yeah, the whole dye thing seems like a rookie mistake, im stepping away from that now. :')
Just using colored tubing will do almost the same trick anyway (I wonder if UV Red is a thing).

Push pull often doesn't make a huge difference from what ive seen but im guessing that is fan/radiator dependent.
Im thinking about using a slim radiator with low FPI density. The rad is pretty huge so I think I can afford to space dissipation out a bit in favor of keeping things quiet, right? Does choosing push OR pull make any difference? Id be in favor of going with pull, because then I could play around with LED fans and a LED candle driver to make the radiator look like smouldering lava. ;)

Ive been trying to find a recent fan-shootout article that would nicely chart what fan would be the most optimum noise/performance choice, but it seems there's a lot of amateurism on this front. Lots of people holding a mic up to the fan on a youtube video and going "here, listen". :rolleyes: Martinsliquidlab.org seems to have his business together pretty tight, though the way he presents the results is a little difficult. He has several shootout articles, but I really wish hed post a complete chart of his findings somewhere. Maybe even a fanfinder tool. ;) Does anyone have any tips on this?

Swiftechs website actually can help you find a European distributor, they have quite a few. the MCP50x is just under $70 here (it started out at $50) so given tax differences I would expect it to come out somewhat close to 100 euros.
I went looking, but the only resellers they have listed for countries with languages I understand, are either dead links or do not have the pump for sale. I feel like I'm being hazed with a snipe hunt or something. Are you guys having a wobble with me? :sly: This pump business is driving me nuts. So lets imagine for a bit swiftech suddenly decided to stop existing, what would be the next best alternative? :p

Last edited:
i grew up in the UK and started watercooling in the late 90s when it was all but impossible to find anything purpose built. I used pond and fountain pumps. Eheim is a viable solution. Not much larger than a D5 (mcp655) but actually quieter and with a very good flow rate.

If it werent so expensive to ship to you I would consider getting rid of my eheim 1200 series pump.

most people run the vario models of mcp655 at 2 or 3. the eheim 1200 is quieter than the d5 on 2 and flows better, probably like the d5 at 4 or maybe 5. the 1200 is about 50% larger than a d5 though and runs at 110v/220v AC through a DC relay switch and a regular IEC pc power connector. Eheim is made in germany and sold at aquarium and fountain/pond stores so might be easier to find. Your advantage living in europe compared to me living in america is that you can get standard bspp thread fittings to adapt the inlet/outlet sides of the pump far more easily than myself. the inlet on mine was 3/4" and the oulet was 1/2"

I actually still have a pump from the Pentium 4 project that never happened. :')

The back says this:
HYDOR
SELTZ L20 II
230V~50Hz 14W
Qmax 700l/h Hmax 135cm​

Its actually an old aquarium pump. The build seems rather questionable. One quarter turn plastic cowl makes the intake port pop out along with the rotor. Personally I would only use this as a submersed pump where there is no stress on the intake port, but then finding a reservoir will be a nightmare.

What do you guys think of this thing? Use it or toss it?

Last edited:
i wouldnt have a problem reusing it. get a cable gland and a box to submerge it in.

that isnt too bad. people may criticise it but most of them havent measured a d5 vario set to 2. its more than enough for most loops and should at least buy you some time before you get ahold of something else to use.

Back