• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

water cooling video card and keeping warranty ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

anarchoi

Registered
Around 3 years ago or so i built my first closed-loop water cooling system.
Today the video card (XFX|HD-697A-CNFC HD6970 2GB) is starting to be old and i noticed some lag in FarCry4 @ Ultra Gfx

I am now looking to upgrade the video card and i want to get it water cooled.

I am willing to spend a multiple hundreds dollars to get an high-end video card that will last me a couple of years (to avoid the trouble of having to mess with modifying the WC system).

But i am worried about losing my warranty. What's the point of spending something like $700 on a video card if it die 2 days after you put the water cooling block on it and lose your warranty ?

Is there any company selling a good video card with a water block and a decent warranty ?

I noticed a couple of water cooled video cards on newegg (at over $1000) but they have their independant pump and radiator. I'd prefer to include it with my current loop to avoid adding more fans and more noise (or else what would be the point of having a closed-loop WC just for my CPU? lol).

ASUS makes the Ares III card that comes with a waterblock pre-installed, and I think there's another card called the Cryo-Venom or something that does as well? Both of these cards require a custom loop. There's also a manufacturer that makes a card with a hybrid solution that can be watercooled but doesn't have to be. Apologies I can't link to them as I'm not at my PC.

ASUS makes the Ares III card that comes with a waterblock pre-installed, and I think there's another card called the Cryo-Venom or something that does as well? Both of these cards require a custom loop. There's also a manufacturer that makes a card with a hybrid solution that can be watercooled but doesn't have to be. Apologies I can't link to them as I'm not at my PC.

thanks for the suggestions, however i have just checked and the Ares3 is almost $2000 and Cryo-Venom seems to be discountinued :(

doesnt evga sell cards with their hydrocopper waterblock preinstalled?

EVGA sells cards with blocks installed, and they don't give a darn if you buy one with an air cooler and install your own water block.... you still get warranty. All they ask is that you put the air cooler back on before sending it back.

EVGA is the best way to go when deciding on any GPU as you can add any WC Block without Warranty problems. Like LV said just put back the air cooler if at any point you need a RMA. And you can always extend that warranty to 3 years as well, i have had a lot of EVGA Cards in the past never had a problem with them either way.

Ajay.

Well i have been away from the site, but a 4GB or 3GB Card is the way to go for gaming, much depends on which games you intend to play! Maybe a 780TI Superclocked with a WC Block added could improve your situation as most games are still 1080p HD i think.

Some ideas,

1, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487072&cm_re=evga-_-14-487-072-_-Product

Something like above, but it could also run as it is on Air, as for a WC Block you would need to check anything before buying the card! Also a good solid PSU is a must when up grading to a higher level of GPU. ;)

Ajay.

Well it all depends. How much are you willing to spend for a custom loop and on a GPU + WB? Than you need to figure out if you have the right case for all of this. No idea what your other components are nor are they worth water cooling if your GPU was that old. Will the new GPU bottleneck? Sometimes its best upgrading the rig components than getting into water cooling. Again, it all depends on what you have and what the right move should be next. And if you're still stuck on custom water cooling, you'll need to read the water cooling stickies.

I know its been said already but I'll echo it as well, EVGA is a great choice. Just make sure the block is the right fit for the card.

Back