• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Really slow new 850 pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bayflats

Registered
Just bought a new Samsung 850 Pro SSD and ran AS SSD as well as the Samsung Magician utility. Getting very slow speeds for read / write and iops. The SSD is currently being used as the boot drive so it does have other stuff to do - but are these speeds to be expected or is there something I can do to improve it? I am not currently using RAPID tech. When I was the read and writes were in the 1000's but the iops were the same as without RAPID.

When I first installed it Win8.1 picked it up as a SCSI drive rather than an SSD - but I cant evidence of that anymore. Anywhere I can get a definitive answer?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Magician.PNG
    Magician.PNG
    43.6 KB · Views: 2,368
  • As SSD1.PNG
    As SSD1.PNG
    28.5 KB · Views: 2,359
  • AS SSD.PNG
    AS SSD.PNG
    30.8 KB · Views: 2,339
If you have it hooked to the Intel SATA controller, it's only SATA 3 GB/s capable which could explain the slow speeds. That board has a SATA 6 GB/s Marvell controller that might get you better speeds, but don't be surprised if the Marvell controller doesn't provide faster speeds. A lot of those third party controllers don't perform as well as previous generation Intel controllers, it's worth a try though.

Intel® ICH10R controller :
6 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), black

Marvell® PCIe 9128 controller :
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray

He's probably referring to Intel Rapid Storage Technology (IRST).

LVcoyote : I have it hooked up to the grey controllers which are 6G SATA controllers.

magellan : the RAPID tech is Samsung's tech to hugely increase read and writes. It made a very perceivable difference to Win / game / app loading.

http://www.extremetech.com/computin...in-the-fastest-most-durable-ssd-money-can-buy

Basically it reserves part of the RAM for caching so you get an SSD and a hybrid RAM Disk. Pretty neat.

magellan : see the attachment for the diff using Samsung Magician software. Nuts.

And apologies. The IOPS are a lot better but still below the advertised.

I'll put this under "oh well I guess I need a new motherboard" section.

Tks

Attachments

• RAPID.PNG
    RAPID.PNG
    15.6 KB · Views: 2,295
magellan : see the attachment for the diff using Samsung Magician software. Nuts.

And apologies. The IOPS are a lot better but still below the advertised.

I'll put this under "oh well I guess I need a new motherboard" section.

Tks

Interesting, I just bought the Samsung 850 Pro 128 GiB. I have it
hooked up to my Intel SATA III controller, I've only benched it
w/HDTach though. Have you considered buying a PCIe SATA III controller?

I hadnt considered getting a PCIe controller as my system has a litany of other problems so am really close to binning the whole lot and starting afresh.

Back