• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sound stops randomly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RAA

Hi, been trying to fix this problem for a couple of months now. Got a X79 system with Soundblaster ZXR, it works fine for hours and then suddenly the sound stops, only way to get it back is to reboot. Tried quite a few things, update bios, set bios to optimised defaults, remove any IRQ conflicts, even swapped my SXR with a friends ZXR, nothing has worked and I'm at my whits end as the ZXR is awesome and I don't want to even try onboard audio or any other soundcard.

It seems like quite a common problem http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...t/f3684f19-ee21-4e90-ae4c-98acb797d019?page=6 just wondering if anyone has actually found a reason for it and fix?

I have absolutely no idea if the problems I had are related at all to yours, but who knows.

The Flash player seems to be a big culprit with audio playback and Creative drivers. After having Firefox open for some time and having videos playback in a Flash window, eventually, the audio would start to get scratchy, break up, sound very robotic, and eventually just turn into pure static or even crash the PC. The simple solution was to close all windows that access the audio (Firefox and Mediamonkey in my case) to "release" the audio and then everything is back to normal. This doesn't work 100% of the time, and is simply a work-a-round for bad drivers. Creative is notorious for bad drivers, so some kind of software "conflict" is happening to cause you to lose audio, though it may not be as simple as closing down a program.

I've since moved to HDMI audio straight to my HT reciever and dumped the Creative X-Fi. I even tried the Auzentech X-Fi with HDMI pass through and still had the same problems (even more then before).

Back