• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD's next card might have 4-5 times the memory bandwidth.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

firesoul453

http://wccftech.com/amd-20nm-r9-390x-feautres-20nm-hbm-9x-faster-than-gddr5/

Looks like stacked ram and also more energy efficient (thank God!)

Its just a rumor but looks interesting. Hopefully their cards really have a boost in performance over all since Nvidia is blowing them away it seems.

I guess we'll find out Q1 next year.

But would 4-5 times the memory bandwidth make that much of a difference? I mean I know memory can be a bottleneck but still.

With the rate at which memory requirements are increasing as new games come out, I could see it being very beneficial. It was less than a year or so ago that it seemed like you were ok with 1gb. Now it's 2gb. Even still, newer games are looking for 3-4 already. Who knows what 2015 will bring.

Oh interesting. Looking forward to more information about the new card. Bandwidth is important especially at the higher resolutions out there.

Curious how much it plays into my new setup with a 4k monitor.

Oh interesting. Looking forward to more information about the new card. Bandwidth is important especially at the higher resolutions out there.

Curious how much it plays into my new setup with a 4k monitor.
More memory bandwith and size will benefit 4k rez.

As for nvidia blowing away AMD, not after recent price drops, I got this 290 for 249 bucks. And with new drivers running close too 4k rez on a 1080p monitor for free with no hardware change just drivers, I dont think nvidia blows anything away but word of mouth at recess. And dont get me started on Freesync

More memory bandwith and size will benefit 4k rez.

As for nvidia blowing away AMD, not after recent price drops, I got this 290 for 249 bucks. And with new drivers running close too 4k rez on a 1080p monitor for free with no hardware change just drivers, I dont think nvidia blows anything away but word of mouth at recess. And dont get me started on Freesync

Ya r9 290 is great! No regrets getting an AMD GPU. Does anyone know how far in advanced they announce the new models?

Really hope AMD starts talking about new cards officially soon.

This would matter at very high (read: 4K) resolutions more than anything. Lower than that, its just marketing really. :)

Thing is though, at 4K there is less need for copious amounts of AA due to pixel density. So if you lower AA, that is less vram bandwidth and capacity (note these are two difference things) needs too. But if you think you can see the difference between 2xMSAA and 4x/8xMSAA on 4K then a card with this type of bandwidth/capacity can certainly help.

This would matter at very high (read: 4K) resolutions more than anything. Lower than that, its just marketing really. :)

Thing is though, at 4K there is less need for copious amounts of AA due to pixel density. So if you lower AA, that is less vram bandwidth and capacity (note these are two difference things) needs too. But if you think you can see the difference between 2xMSAA and 4x/8xMSAA on 4K then a card with this type of bandwidth/capacity can certainly help.

Exactly. AA affects bandwith.

Before @ 1080p I could run RO2 with MSAA 4X super sampling. Now at 3200x1800 I have to turn that off and just use SMAA. I have good eyesight so I can see jaggies, SMAA does enough for me. Performance is great. Barely noticeable difference to no AA.

Its part of the Omega drivers. Some option for it. Sadly I can't test it or if I could I wouldn't know where to look with a 4k screen. Probably burn up the video card if I tried an even higher res :)

I wish game developers care more to give us reason to buy these fast graphics cards. Right now there are single titles every year and most of them work without problems on older hardware. Most of new features are pure marketing.

Back