• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

White screen when Overclocking !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kamran

Hi, i can say this is my first real overclock !

So this is what i did: I started heaven bench on windowed mode and started amd catalyst on right side of my monitor, As i increased the core my drivers gave not responding, My power was 20% and recovered at around 1130-1140Mhz, Then i made it back to default. Then i started to increase Memory clock and once i hit 1130Mhz my screen went white with some lines , I pressed some combos and they didn't work so i pressed the reset button and got here (Is that safe to do this?) My question is : I know i have reached my max clocks , But why did my cart get like this suddenly? I mean 1mhz lower its totally fine no weird things happening (I have never seen a artifact before so i may have missed it!) suddenly everything goes white? As i read on the internet it starts to show some dots or weird shapes at screen and then go like that, Mine just goes like that in 1Mhz from fine to this !

anyway i got 2fps+ and went up to 1220Mhz Memory - 1120Mhz Core. Not worth it at all :D I was just experimenting :p

And another question: if for whatever reason a person just instantly makes the core clock 1300Mhz with no voltage change, What will happen, Will my card fry? Or restart or something?

Hi, i can say this is my first real overclock !

So this is what i did: I started heaven bench on windowed mode and started amd catalyst on right side of my monitor, As i increased the core my drivers gave not responding, My power was 20% and recovered at around 1130-1140Mhz, Then i made it back to default. Then i started to increase Memory clock and once i hit 1130Mhz my screen went white with some lines , I pressed some combos and they didn't work so i pressed the reset button and got here (Is that safe to do this?) My question is : I know i have reached my max clocks , But why did my cart get like this suddenly? I mean 1mhz lower its totally fine no weird things happening (I have never seen a artifact before so i may have missed it!) suddenly everything goes white? As i read on the internet it starts to show some dots or weird shapes at screen and then go like that, Mine just goes like that in 1Mhz from fine to this !

anyway i got 2fps+ and went up to 1220Mhz Memory - 1120Mhz Core. Not worth it at all :D I was just experimenting :p

And another question: if for whatever reason a person just instantly makes the core clock 1300Mhz with no voltage change, What will happen, Will my card fry? Or restart or something?

1) Aritfacts or white screen or blue screen anything can happen with bad OC

2)1300 mhz wont fry anything, putting too much voltage can fry but dont worry most OC software is limited in voltage so you wont be frying much. I would suggest sapphire trixx, it works on any brand, better then amd overdrive. Similar to MSI afterburner but way less buggy. As for memory overclocking on video its tricky, GDDR5 memory is ECC which means it corrects errors so you can have a unstable speed and it wont crash it may just lower performance to compensate, thats why most of the time I dont bother OCing memory anymore just the GPU core. As for stress testing try OCCT and click GPU tab and set shaders to number 3. Leave it at least 8-12 hours with error checking button on, if you come back with 0 errors your good to go.

Its time consuming but you will find the sweet spot.

1) Aritfacts or white screen or blue screen anything can happen with bad OC

2)1300 mhz wont fry anything, putting too much voltage can fry but dont worry most OC software is limited in voltage so you wont be frying much. I would suggest sapphire trixx, it works on any brand, better then amd overdrive. Similar to MSI afterburner but way less buggy. As for memory overclocking on video its tricky, GDDR5 memory is ECC which means it corrects errors so you can have a unstable speed and it wont crash it may just lower performance to compensate, thats why most of the time I dont bother OCing memory anymore just the GPU core. As for stress testing try OCCT and click GPU tab and set shaders to number 3. Leave it at least 8-12 hours with error checking button on, if you come back with 0 errors your good to go.

Its time consuming but you will find the sweet spot.

awesome ! and as for the memory i can try like 30 down and get a benchmark and compare performance, so if it suddenly goes up or down i can bring it higher or lower :p

But another question: you say that i have to leave pc on benchmark for a while, how can i be sure that nothing's gonna happen like artifacts or my gpu heating up so much or freezing or white screen/black ect?!

awesome ! and as for the memory i can try like 30 down and get a benchmark and compare performance, so if it suddenly goes up or down i can bring it higher or lower :p

But another question: you say that i have to leave pc on benchmark for a while, how can i be sure that nothing's gonna happen like artifacts or my gpu heating up so much or freezing or white screen/black ect?!

Like I said OCCT will detect errors automatically if there is an artifact it will say 1 error. or 2 or whatever. If you see 0 errors that means nothing happened.

what i meant was how do i make sure my GPU doesn't get Damaged?!

Edit: I tried OCCT it only made my gpu 30% and didn't gave any errors on clocks that heaven instantly crashes !

Saphhire TRIXX won't let me make myvoltage more than 1200 which is default :|

Last edited:
You have the latest trixx and you cant change voltage?
Try MSI afterburner then, it has a way to unlock voltage but you shouldnt have to do that with trixx
As for OCCt it should be using 100% of GPU, put highest resolution with DX 11 and shader count to 3

Rare chance your GPU will get damaged at most you will either lock up or artifact, reboot and start fresh

You have the latest trixx and you cant change voltage?
Try MSI afterburner then, it has a way to unlock voltage but you shouldnt have to do that with trixx
As for OCCt it should be using 100% of GPU, put highest resolution with DX 11 and shader count to 3

Rare chance your GPU will get damaged at most you will either lock up or artifact, reboot and start fresh

maybe my Graphics card doesn't allow overvolting :O msi afterburner doesn't allow it either, the voltage changing slide is blank ! i unlocked it from setting !

i also enabled error checking

and thats bad :( i don't want to damage my graphics card :!

my graphics card is 75% , and alt-tab will make it go back to 35%!

Edit: restarting pc fixed it, its now 99-98%
after few seconds (oc setting 5mhz+ on core) and my pc freezed and nothing worked, not even restart button and i was forced to hold the power button !

Last edited:
maybe my Graphics card doesn't allow overvolting :O msi afterburner doesn't allow it either, the voltage changing slide is blank ! i unlocked it from setting !

i also enabled error checking

and thats bad :( i don't want to damage my graphics card :!

my graphics card is 75% , and alt-tab will make it go back to 35%!

Edit: restarting pc fixed it, its now 99-98%
after few seconds (oc setting 5mhz+ on core) and my pc freezed and nothing worked, not even restart button and i was forced to hold the power button !

You have to edit a text config file in after burner to unlock voltage for real. IF that doesnt work then Gigabyte must have locked voltage on that series hardwarewise, which in that case no OCing for you :(

You have to edit a text config file in after burner to unlock voltage for real. IF that doesnt work then Gigabyte must have locked voltage on that series hardwarewise, which in that case no OCing for you :(

:eek: thanks! i will try that once i reboot too windows, but i think Gigabyte just locked the voltages on the card !

Show me what you did

Post a link to the webpage that showed you what to do

i have to search for the link again, it was an answer on tomshardware ! i deleted the 2 .oem files on msi installation folder and opened msi afterburner and unlocked voltage from setting again !

Last edited:
You don't need to edit any text files with Afterburner (4.0 Final) now. In Settings there's a checkbox to enable voltage modification (also to extend official overclocking limits - ignore the unofficial mode) if the card supports it.

If you deleted files or something you will probably need to reinstall afterburner completely.

You don't need to edit any text files with Afterburner (4.0 Final) now. In Settings there's a checkbox to enable voltage modification (also to extend official overclocking limits - ignore the unofficial mode) if the card supports it.

If you deleted files or something you will probably need to reinstall afterburner completely.

Did not know that, havent used afterburner in years, I stick to trixx now and am more then happy with it. ;)

Back