• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a quality headset, headphones for $50-$150.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cezar

Hi everyone.) I need a decent head set for $50-$150. if there are some quality products for more than $70 I might consider them also. I already have a decent mic.(samson go mic) It is fine microphone considering the price(lmao). Thus, the headphones can be without microphone. I am not a meloman yet, but these purchase might make me such. So, I want to get the best out there.
Features I'd strongly like to see in the product:
1) 7.1 surround sound
2) switch between stereo and 7.1

3) good cable
4) cabling option(I do not really like wireless stuff)
5) acoustic headphones(cups are made of wood)
6) great sound quality (I do not have much clue which headphones are better until I listen to ones, so I will take your words as given)
7) without noise canceling or with the option to turn it off
The product might not have all the features listed above at once.
I am going to use them for gaming, watching videos, listening to the music.
I am not fan of razer or any other fancy companies. I am fine with everything, if it is a quality product. I do not want to over pay for companies' ads programs.

Edited:
Also, I am looking for some good cheap speakers. For $60-100 preferably on sale. I found Pioneers on sale for $60 with the original price of $130. Good reviews.
Specs:
6oms
25-20k HZ

Last edited:
No such thing as "surround sound" on headphones. Even the lowest of the low can do positional audio. Yes, some market "7.1 surround sound!", but its not going to be any different. It would be an emulation that your motherboard can support.

For 50-70$ you're not getting great headphones, lets just lay that to rest right now. I.e. you won't get noise cancelling, wood ear cups, "great sound quality", etc. Just ain't gonna happen, sorry.

Ironically, the razer kraken is a good choice for this budget. They are very comfortable and sound ok. Steelseries Siberia is also a comparable product. By and large I would pick ath m30 with that budget myself. For 10$ more you can get sennheiser hd518 which are supposedly rather decent.

Logitech G35 on a sale.

You're not getting your whole list with that, but it's close.

Here they are talking about surround sound at 2:30,
. As I understood from there pseudo 7.1 is still working better than no 7.1.

Last edited:
Here they are talking about surround sound at 2:30,
. As I understood from there pseudo 7.1 is still working better than no 7.1.

Again. ALL headphones give positional audio. ALL of them.

The razer tiamat for instance has 10 speakers, but doesn't sound any better than the kraken, which blew my mind. Also, no "gaming" headsets outperform an equal cost proper can.

Do me a favor.

Go find the cheapest; crappiest set of in ear headphones and watch this.

3D Surround Sound (TEST):

Here's a game play demo of positional audio.

7.1 Gaming Surround Sound Test | Battlefield 3 Ga…:

Again. ALL headphones give positional audio. ALL of them.

The razer tiamat for instance has 10 speakers, but doesn't sound any better than the kraken, which blew my mind. Also, no "gaming" headsets outperform an equal cost proper can.

I am not striving for a gaming set cause I have a mic. So I would go with a proper headphones.
I liked how Sen. hd518 look, plus good reviews. How do they differ from HD 558? They both look alike but the price is like earth and sky.

Hmm. Lower quality drivers and materials. That said, compared to other things in the same price bracket, 558s aren't worth the money.

What headset do you use, if any? Cause in the first video I could understand the direction of the sound, but in the battlefield not so much.

Last edited:
What headset do you use, if any? Cause in the first video I could understand the direction of the sound, but in the battlefield not so much.
I think the point of the second vid is to highlight how sound switches front center/left/right to back center/left/right due to all those quick head turns. Also, note that the player was able to track the AA vehicle though he'd hid from it. Yes, I'm using a pair of expensive cans hooked up to an external dac/amp combo, but all you'd need is a decent sound output from either your mobo or soundcard, and a pair of decent quality can/headset, preferably open back since it's more airy and has better sound stage. Two disadvantages of open back cans/headsets are 1) sound leakage and 2)weaker bass.

Honestly speaking, all this 5.1/7.1 sound headsets are not worth the money, those two demos easily showed that with a pair to stereo headset/headphones, you can easily track enemies w/o seeing them by simply listening closely to the sound. BTW, I've heard that Razer Sourround is a free surround software that is oodles better than Dolby surround for gaming.

Can anyone tell me wether this card: asrock z97 killer http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._re=asrock_z_97_killer-_-13-157-501-_-Product will support 250 or 600 om headphones without additional amplifier?
If you go to their website below, it says the onboard audio supports up to 600 Ohms headphones:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/fatal1ty z97 killer/

I would imagine that since it's stated, the onboard audio should be able to drive 600 Ohms headphones, but whether it can drive it well is another matter. Also, please consider that how well a pair of headphones can be driven doesn't hinge on impedence alone, another major factor is the sensitivity of the headphones. The HiFiman HE6, while being only 50 Ohms I believe, is one of the most power hungry cans around, though impedence is only 50 Ohms, it has low sensitivity, thus requires a whole hella lot more power.

If you're wanting a headset, the G35s (or G930 if you want wireless) are hard to beat if you can find them on sale. I got mine for $65 several years ago and love them. I'm far from an audiophile, but they work great for gaming, and the mic isn't bad.

If you're wanting just a set of cans, I can't offer any suggestions at that price point. I've heard exceptional things about Audio Technica AD700's, but they're about double your budget.

If you're wanting a headset, the G35s (or G930 if you want wireless) are hard to beat if you can find them on sale. I got mine for $65 several years ago and love them. I'm far from an audiophile, but they work great for gaming, and the mic isn't bad.

If you're wanting just a set of cans, I can't offer any suggestions at that price point. I've heard exceptional things about Audio Technica AD700's, but they're about double your budget.

That's exactly why I pointed out the G35 at $80.
People in the audiophile world categorize the G35 and G930 with other "gaming" headsets, but those two really stand out from the crowd of "gaming" headsets to me.

After I researched headphones a bit I stopped on these three:
1)Sony MDR-XB920/B
2)Beyerdynamic dt 990 pro 600om or 250 om
3)ATH AD500x

I could find them under $150

Sony and Beyerdynamic seem like a better quality than ATH ad500x, I heard that Sonies and BDs above have a lot of bass. Will that be bad for gaming? Also sony have flat pads, they are not overear design. I know that flat pads can be uncomfortable, but maybe someone knows if this model of Sonies is fine for long gaming sessions? Maybe it has some special ultra comfy flat pads.

I also heard that they are exceptionally good "acoustic" headphones. Almost like surround sound, but natural.
Seems that ad500x are better for the price.

Last edited:
Worth mentioning: if you're using onboard sound it's very possible that the Logitech G35 will sound better than the three sets of cans that you mentioned.
This is because the G35 and G930 use a built in sound card and amplifier instead of the onboard one.

Cezar, pick a budget and stick with it. Jumping around from "50-70" to headphones that retail over 200$ is a different ballgame for each of them.

Stay away from Beyer dynamic unless you're ready to spend even more money on a driver for them.

ATMINSIDE, thanks for suggestion. I understood that those Logitecs g43 is a quality product. Though I am more inclined to buy a regular audiophile headphones.
If I decide to buy dt990 what could be the best choice for budget amplifier?
Will I need a sound card?

Last edited:
Back