• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Connecting a PS3 controller to a PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ennogs

Registered
Does anybody know why one of my PS3 controllers is only half recognised by Windows? I am using windows 8.1

I have two PS3 controllers. One is an official Sony controller I bought last Sunday and the other is from a third party I have had for a while. The third party controller works with Windows. The official Sony one will not work? Both controllers work perfectly with the PS3.

If I plug the third party controller in it is recognised by windows and an icon is displayed in Devices and Printers. I can also get it to work with games.

If I go to the controller properties on the third party controller I can test that it's working ok. When I press a button, d-pad etc it does show I have done that in the properties settings.

With the official Sony controller it does get recognised in Windows and I get the PS3 controller icon in Devices and Printers. When I go into the controller properties it doesn't recognise any button presses, d-pad movement etc. Also it will not work with games.

I also have the same issue with a program I use called X-padder. It allows you to map your keyboard to your controller. When I run X-padder with the third party controller it works fine. With the official Sony controller X-padder recognises when the controller is plugged in but when any buttons, d-pad are pressed on the controller the input is not recognised.

Does anybody have any ideas for me?

This all started trying to get the controller to work wirelessly on the PC. The program I was trying wasn't recognising the third party PS3 controller even though windows recognised it and it worked fine in Windows. I bought the official controller to see if the program I was trying would recognise the new controller and I could get the Sony controller to work wirelessly.

Back