• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My 4790k OC Suggestions Welcome

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mago

Hello everyone. I recently purchased a new rig. I used the 3 step process as I have completed to the top part of step 2. I am a little nervous about trying to mess with the Bclk strap as I think I am pretty happy as it stands now. Here is where I am at now 4.8 @ 1.281, 2133 ram OC to 2400 (Hadn't messed with timings). Temps on AIDA64 hit 80C once. From what I have read in the guide the seems to be an above average chip as I was able to boot into windows @ 1.20v at 4.6 and 4.7, as 4.6 was tested 20 mins @ 1.20v and was stable in AIDA64. I was able to boot into windows 1.25 @ 5 ghz. I have not tested 4.9 or 5.0 as I don't thing the H100i can cool it. I am primarily a gamer just trying to see what the threshold of the set up can take.
I would like you guys opinion on a 24/7 OC. I think I will be ok with 4.8GHz / 2400MHz @ 1.281 for everyday use. Also I am not sure if upping the System agent offset, cpu I/o analog and cpu digital will help to get the ram higher? I am not sure what the safe offsets would be to apply!

Or would I simply be better off at 4.6GHz @ 1.20v and try to up the ram speed? Then again I sit and think what the guide said as multiplier is KING........
Attached are photos on the second run Of AIDA64 which ran for 10 minutes. I did run it previously for 30 mins with the same results on that time Max temp was 79C. I look forward to you input gotta run my wife is pulling me to inlaws... Merry Christmas everyone....
4.8ghz  2400ram screenshot.gif

30 mins? That's not enough to test anything.

Run P95 (not the newest version!) or AIDA 64 for like 3-4 hours. P95 blend is good as it also stresses your RAM.
You should run memtest outside of Windows to make sure your RAM is overclocked stable.

You're getting good volts and good temps. You got an above average chip.

Ty Theocnoob, I understand most would like the test to run much longer stability test which I do plan on doing like you mentioned. For some reason I prefer Aida64 over prime. I did a couple runs of super pi 32M that did pass successfully. Is memtest more thorough?

Also any tips on the system agent voltage, cpu analog and cpu digital voltages as these are offset in the VII Hero bios. I don't want to go with too high of an offset and I am not familiar with the stock voltages being applied and how far they can reasonably be pushed safely.
I appreciate your response!!!!

Looking at it now is Hyper pi not super pi. 32M.

If it aint broke don't fix it. Stress test your 4. 8GHz OC and see how it does. If it's good for 4 hours don't mess with anything else. If it fails you'll need to do some tweaking. Probably not much past adding more voltage and maybe LLC though.

Do you have C states turned off? Speedstep?

Try wPrime 1024M also, but make sure to set the number of threads to eight.

No I did not turn off c states and speed step. I set it to default added 4.8 set the vcore manual 1.28. If I leave it at 1.28 and turn off speed step, add LLC, what setting would be preferred. What is the absolute safe voltage I am having trouble finding it. Some say don't go over 1.3 for 24/7 others are a bit daring. I want this cpu to last a bit but wanna squeeze every ounce out safely.
I did run prime which 2.77 which it did eventually fail. but I hadn't turned off the items u mentioned. I will try it again with all that stuff turned off.
how could it pass Aida64 and hyper pi then fail on P95? could it be the C states? Did I not run Aida64 long enough?

Time has been scarce lately, kids have me running around, I managed to run AIDA64 for 2 hours with C states and speed step off. Temp package was 79C (HWMonitor) as core temp they average about 3C lower. the test was 4.8 @ 1.28.... I noticed the VID to of mobo to be 1.296 and high at 1.312. Just to verify vcore high of 1.312 is the voltage at the mobo and not the chip? Or am I wrong?
I dropped the ram to 2133 (Stock XMP). I will test more later.
I plan to let the test longer overnight as BF4 has double XP and I would like to get a couple levels.
Is the manual vcore set to 1.28 going to be fine for 24/7 in your opinion.
Also will run the Prime W1024M later as well Atminside. Thanks for the input and help.

haswell is different than previous cpus, it has an integrated voltage regulator that gets the last word on the supplied voltage (vcore). It ups the vcore on full load. In haswell vid (called for voltage) can by altered by fivr in cpu so vcore (supplied voltage) can be same or up to +.02 on load with all manual/no offsets or up to +.04v if using offset/adaptive. Most software now, like hwinfo is reading both vid and vcore.

And 1.28 is fine for 24/7. Some at stock go near that high in voltage.

you got a very good chip.
if you game, other than BF4, you can run it with HT disabled, for flight sim 10 that's how i run my 4790k.
you'll also find 4.6 with the cache at 4.0 will be plenty enough for about anything other than benching.

ram, from 1600 and up will add about nothing to your gaming.

Dropped vcore to 1.27 @ 4.8 testing now AIDA64 overnight. 40 minutes so far and still going, crossing my fingers. Will run prime in the morning.

Good Morning. 1.27 AIDA64 lasted 2.5 hours then not sure what happened but assumed it failed. Bumped it back to 1.28 and it ran the rest of the night for 5 1/2 hours till I turned it off. Ran Primew 1024 and score was 173.404. I am happy where I am at. I will begin to play with ram timings at 2133. I may bump ram to 2400 and test again but if it fails I know I at least have 4.8 2133 at 1.28. the curious side of me will test again tonight with 1.275 see if that can make it through the night since 1.27 lasted 2 1/2 hours.

I really appreciate you guys help and guidance through this process. Ya'll really know your stuff.

If anyone would mind sharing information on ram cpu system agent, analog and digital safe offset voltages it would be appreciated

also the batch number for the chip is X438B075 Vietnam.
Hope to hear from you guys soon.

Agreed, If you are running at 4.8 Ghz at 1.27V then you are doing well. I can do [email protected], but moving up to 4.8 GHz requires a jump to 1.34V and while its 30 min AIDA64 stable, it really isn't stable. It crashed while playing BF4 for about 30 min. At about 1.36V it is stable, but it hits as high as 94 degrees on AIDA64. For every day 24/7 thats a little too warm for my liking. I can hit 5.0 at about 1.38V but that is only stable enough to run some lightweight benches.

I just wanted to give you a comparison. Hope it helps.

A most excellent chip! I run 4.7Ghz with 1.3v for 24/7 daily runner. Even delidded I cannot go lower in voltage. You've found the prize in the crackerjack box!

Good Morning. 1.27 AIDA64 lasted 2.5 hours then not sure what happened but assumed it failed. Bumped it back to 1.28 and it ran the rest of the night for 5 1/2 hours till I turned it off. Ran Primew 1024 and score was 173.404. I am happy where I am at. I will begin to play with ram timings at 2133. I may bump ram to 2400 and test again but if it fails I know I at least have 4.8 2133 at 1.28. the curious side of me will test again tonight with 1.275 see if that can make it through the night since 1.27 lasted 2 1/2 hours.

I really appreciate you guys help and guidance through this process. Ya'll really know your stuff.

If anyone would mind sharing information on ram cpu system agent, analog and digital safe offset voltages it would be appreciated

also the batch number for the chip is X438B075 Vietnam.
Hope to hear from you guys soon.

Wow you're tweaking down to the 5mV range. That's dedication. You should always leave the Vcore 5mV above where it's stable IMO though, to account for possible degradation over time, so you don't get a blue screen in 3 years. So even if 1.275 turns out stable for 5 hours at 4.8Ghz I would still roll with 1.28. JM2C.

If you ever want to sell me your golden 4790K for some reason btw I'm totally interested. Just PM me. LOL.

Just curious, since you have so much voltage headroom to stretch your legs, why don't you go for the epic and E-peen extending 5Ghz mark?

I am not sure if the h100i could keep the temps down, anytime I get near 80C makes me a little nervous. I booted into windows at 1.25 @ 5ghz but not sure what it would take to make it stable and I assume lots of heat will come with it as well. What would be the voltage to stay away from?

If it were my CPU I would set it at 1.3V @ 5GHz and run stability program, and I'm on air.

Then again, I invested in the $25 dollar Intel Performance Tuning Protection Plan. So I am covered.

Brutal i see you have the sanyo denki fans that I bet are loud. I have 4 delta fans sitting in the drawer 2 are pwm 150 cfm and 2 if I remember correctly are 250 ish. If I go for 5 ghz I'm thinking of popping them in the case. How much of a difference you think they will make as I have the phantek 140 sp's in now. They are quiet with decent 92 cfm according to their stats. I know the 2 150s In my haf-x kept it pretty cool. I have rarely used the 250s as they were like gaming on a runway lol. But I think the vii hero can pwm the 3 pin fans now so I will have to at least give me a try. I'll have to find my ear plugs

Well, TBH I only run my fans at about 1000 RPMs 90% of the time. When I game I turn them up to about 1500-2000 RPMs. For benching 3500-5000 Rpms. Not a huge difference above 3500RPMs.

Back