• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't overclock i7 4770k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tegbird

Hey people, just signed up seeking abit of trouble shooting from a guide I got on this site.

So my setup consists of..
Intel i7 4770k
Asus vi hero
Corsair h80i
Sli gtx 970
Corsair cx750m
Corsair air 540
Teamgroup xteem 16gb 2400 ram (2 sticks)

I'm a bit of a novice overclocker so I started first using the asus overclocking software and tried it at just 4.2ghz but it kept crashing my pc only after a short while which brought me onto the guide from this site. I followed it doing everything completely by the book and even manually it still crashed even at 4.2. I know it's a lottery but mine won't oc even a little bit. What happens is it'll either just restart itself, freeze up or bsod saying something about an unrecoverable error.

Now I will add when I first put my ram in the correct slots (a1,a2) my motherboard gave error saying ram not installed. After fiddling around for a bit changing slots it managed to boot up with ram in slot a1,b1. Ever since that has not been an issue in over 3 months of heavy gaming use. Would this have anything to do with ram? Is it a motherboard issue? Or is my chip just really unlucky?

Sorry forgot to add I'm using windows 8.1

And just remembered another issue, when I load up world of warcraft, on the loading screen when you're logging your character the mouse cursor will lag, and first few seconds your move buttons some won't show the icon but it will appear after a few seconds. Never had that before on other pcs. My wow is on an ssd from Samsung

At 4.4 and above I don't really get a chance to, soon as you go to do something it'll restart. At 4.2 I ran the prime95 app, while the asus ai was open so I could check the temperature, and I noticed as it went on the vcore was setting itself higher and higher, it went into 2.5 for a brief moment which is when I had to cancel it and went back down to normal. No idea why that happened I was following the guide

A1 and B1 are actually the correct slots for running dual channel, I have a feeling though that you may have a weaker IMC trying to run 16Gb of 2400 team mem that doesn't appear on the QVL. Try setting the System agent, analog IO and digital IO to a .2v offset and see if that helps at all. Keep using the 1.25v set manually. That 2.5 you saw wasn't likely the V_Core, possibly VCCIN but hard to say from here.

Can u download CPU-Z and HWmonitor and post the following screenshots? At CPU-Z:Cpu tab, memory tab, spd tab and a full screen of HWMonitor after at least 20 minutes at P95

@Johan45. Sorry it was 1.5, using my phone atm and it lags abit making proof reading bit harder, but ok thanks for your advice I'll give that a go. If it is due to the ram should I try my overclock with a single stick of 8gb 1600MHz? Or would that be a waste of time.

@Itachiii sure I can give it a go, although last time I had the overclock at 4.2 and ran p95 the vcore was going up into 1.5's

A1 and B1 are actually the correct slots for running dual channel, I have a feeling though that you may have a weaker IMC trying to run 16Gb of 2400 team mem that doesn't appear on the QVL. Try setting the System agent, analog IO and digital IO to a .2v offset and see if that helps at all. Keep using the 1.25v set manually. That 2.5 you saw wasn't likely the V_Core, possibly VCCIN but hard to say from here.

managed to get some time to myself and try this, but instantly got a bsod with it saying uncorrectable error :/ also my ram are in A1, A2. only way i could get them to work

- - - Updated - - -

Can u download CPU-Z and HWmonitor and post the following screenshots? At CPU-Z:Cpu tab, memory tab, spd tab and a full screen of HWMonitor after at least 20 minutes at P95

hi is this without any overclock at all?

managed to get some time to myself and try this, but instantly got a bsod with it saying uncorrectable error :/ also my ram are in A1, A2. only way i could get them to work

- - - Updated - - -

hi is this without any overclock at all?

Yes, no OC at all.Get a screenie of what you tweaked in AI suite( the asus program). If you stick ur rams in a1, b1 u get bsod? Johan is most probably right and you have a weaker IMC. Either stick with what Johan said and tweak the voltages or you might wanna try lowering the RAM multiplier till you get something like 1600MHz and see if that works without getting bsod

Back