• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First PC build, want advise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dontdr0ptheS0AP

Whats up, I'm Soap, console gamer switching to pc. I have been watching a lot of videos on youtube and it has been very helpful in my learning process, so I can build my first pc, now I'm here to get advise from people who have experience.

Mostly will used for gaming, recording game play, and some amateur video editing. Budget is $1850, here is what I have so far, let me know your opinion.

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
ASRock Z97 EXTREME6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card
NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)
Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor
Cooler Master CM Storm QuickFire TK Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mionix NAOS 7000 Wired Optical Mouse
Logitech G430 7.1 Channel Headset

Get the Team Xtreem 2400Mhz cas 10 RAM from Newegg. It's the same price for higher performance. Looks good otherwise. Might want to change the PSU to a 650W Seasonic "G" SSR. Also the H100i has occasional mounting issues, you might want to go with the H105, or a competing product such as an NZXT Kraken.

Great motherboard choice. That's the one we would have recommended.

If you want to save some cash go with the Samsung 840 Evo you most likely will not notice the difference between that and the 850.

Thanks, the way it sits now on pcpartpicker the total comes to $1865. Thanks for the suggestion on the SSD, but its only like $9 more, I would rather have the newest version. I found a guy who sells legit window key for $12 so I cut that price way down. Also I can get the $20 gift card on my first purchase through NCIX, so I think it will be easily kept under my budget. Just wish there was a Microcenter closer than 5 hours away, lol.

On the ram, I forgot to mention in the OP, I am trying to stick with a blue theme. I am still learning about ram and which mhz and cas is best.

My advice... I would advise your ram to be 1866/2133 cas9. Get it in the color you are looking for and enjoy.

Oh I thought it was a lot more. Thanks.

The 850 EVOs are cheap. Also, from what I've read, it looks like the vertically stacked NAND they use has a longer projected lifespan (more write cycles) than the TLC NAND they used in the 840 EVOs.
They're nifty little units. The actual PCB in them is micro sized, because the NAND is stacked vertically so a larger PCB is no longer required. They basically put this tiny PCB in a big 2.5" form factor box.

6861_14_samsung_850_evo_250gb_3d_v_nand_ssd_review.jpg

Thanks TheOCN, it really is amazing how much smaller they can make each generation.

They've had the technology to make things smaller for a long time. The real question is "How much cheaper are these companies going to get and how much more bulk are they going to try to shave off so they can save on manufacturing costs"

And you just know they won't pass those savings on to you.

How is an ITX board the same price as an EATX board? Surely it must cost less to produce...

Back