• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to Case Modding - Questions on Laser Cutting and Window Kits

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pmarascal

Hey all, this is my first attempt to actually mod my case a little more than normal so I have a few questions. I have a white bitfenix prodigy and want to spruce it up a little bit.

I have vague ideas:
  • Paint Some Inside Parts Black
  • DIY Window or Buy Windowed Side Panel to show GPU
  • Design a Simple Sticker Design for the Window
  • Front Panel Changes - Thinking Getting Laser Cut

My first question is if I want to cut and install my own window or use the premade window panel that Bitfenix offers. I had thoughts to buy a smoked acrylic sheet but am getting confused with custom DIY windows. I think I like the look of bolt-on kits instead of using molding, is there any benefit to the molding or? And with the bolt on, I'm confused as it looks like the acrylic window wouldn't be flush with the case which would seem sloppy am I right? It seems like you simply drill a few holes and buy some nice looking bolts, but is there a way to make the acrylic flush or what?

My next question is does anyone have any trusted online resources for laser cutting? If I use autocad (or w/e that company requires) to design something into the front panel do I simply send them my current front panel and have it cut? I see lots of build logs but nobody ever goes into detail with this step. The bitfenix I have has the solid plastic front, I'd probably buy the black mesh panel and then send my current one out for the cutting. Once it's finished I'd 3M tape or glue it over the black mesh panel.... But honestly I have no idea if this is the correct way and I'm scaring myself out of it by not knowing wtf the process is. :shock:

Any guidance or help is appreciated. I don't want to overthink this stuff and have that be the reason that I don't mod this at all. Thanks guys.

Back