• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 960 discussion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bob4933

Am I the only one that feels nvidia screwed the pooch here? What is the purpose of this card? I can't think of any reason to get a ~220$ card with such modest performance. I was kinda excited for this card when I heard about it, as I don't really NEED an r9 290, but Im oh so glad I went that route instead.

Well...

...at least you did not buy it and find out that the manner of ram use is p*ssing everyone off with the 970 cards.

That 290 other than maybe a little warmer and wanting a little more power from the P/S is a good card for sure.

RGone...

Meh, the 290 is a great value, but the 960 does fill the line,

both the 980 and 970 follow the same path, way less power consumption.

Same to a smidgen of performance as previous gen

We won't see night and day performance I am guessing until the 980Ti

Next gen should show a bit better & who knows, maybe a 960Ti will show up at a decent price point

Even if the 960ti (or 965 or whatever they're calling it) is $250 or less, is saving 100-150w really worth a 20% drop in performance compared to the equivalently priced AMD cards?

I was planning on upgrading to the 960 from my 670 but all the comparisons I see there is very little difference in performance between the two.

I was planning on upgrading to the 960 from my 670 but all the comparisons I see there is very little difference in performance between the two.

Yea, that would be a 1:1 sidegrade. 670 just edges out the 760, IIRC and the 960 ~ 760.

If you're looking for something cheap to tide you over (and more vram, perhaps?), I'd look at a used 280X in the $150 range (see if Janus still has one in the classies ;))

Well the 670 I have is already a 4gb card already and deffinitely not going down to a 2gb card that is no better, so I'm really in no hurry to upgrade it plays what I want it too right now just got the upgrade bug.

Am I the only one that feels nvidia screwed the pooch here? What is the purpose of this card? I can't think of any reason to get a ~220$ card with such modest performance. I was kinda excited for this card when I heard about it, as I don't really NEED an r9 290, but Im oh so glad I went that route instead.
Looking at our review on the front page, the price point seems to be right where the 280/280x lands with performance leaning towards the 280x side. Its also a 120W card versus the 200/250W of the 280/280x respectively. Considering the cheapest 290 (all pricing from newegg.com note) is $270 it seems to fit in well as far as that goes. As mentioned earlier, it also fills a gap in NVIDIA's product line.

Of course, if you are willing to buy used that changes things, but new for new. Seems to fit.

I was thinking on an upgrade from my 750Ti, but I think I am going to wait for a version with more VRAM (or a Ti ?). I don't mind paying slightly more for beefier specs. :)

Looking at our review on the front page, the price point seems to be right where the 280/280x lands with performance leaning towards the 280x side. Its also a 120W card versus the 200/250W of the 280/280x respectively. Considering the cheapest 290 (all pricing from newegg.com note) is $270 it seems to fit in well as far as that goes. As mentioned earlier, it also fills a gap in NVIDIA's product line.

Of course, if you are willing to buy used that changes things, but new for new. Seems to fit.

http://www.overclockers.com/asus-strix-gtx-960-graphics-card-review-with-sli-results/

It's 5-25% slower in games in our review. And that's against 280X results from October 15, 2013 (!!!), which I wouldn't even remotely consider valid today, given a year+ of driver updates.

http://www.overclockers.com/his-r9-280x-ipower-iceq-x2-turbo-review/

http://www.overclockers.com/asus-strix-gtx-960-graphics-card-review-with-sli-results/

Im not going through one by one, but it seems to compare to or beat the 280 in most tests. There are a couple it loses out in.

So anyway, my point certainly won't change when we split hairs. I'd like to see it at sub $200 price point but again, its a brand new card. Overall it looks to fall between the 280 and 280x... perhaps not leaning towards 280x. But again, power consumption is half the 280x and 2/3 of the 280 and its brand spanking new.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_960_STRIX_OC/29.html
Here it averages 10% slower than a card that costs AT LEAST 10% more in the 280x and again, uses half the power of a 280x.
EDIT: Or 15% over reference...which is a bit cheaper ($200).

It has its place. Its not like a fish out of water as some seem to feel.

Last edited:
Hands down, it's got the power draw race in the bag.

And when I just looked, it was the 280 I was seeing which was the same price or lower than the 960, so the nvidia card is probably priced right (though, I think if I kept my eye out, I could find a new 280X for $210ish). My bad :chair: :)

EDIT: And I understand the new vs. used argument. I just think the used 280X at $150 right now is a great value for anyone looking on a budget or someone who just needs a "holdout" card before the next series drops.

I'm wondering, should I start looking at these to replace my dual 660Tis or should I wait for the next gen? I went from dual GTX 260s to the 660Tis so it wouldn't be a big deal for me to wait and make another 4 gen jump.

You'd really only be jumping 2 gens (there was no 8xx series other than mobile).

I don't think it's enough of a jump, plus you'd continue to be vram limited. You'd be paying about $300 if you sold your current cards and performance would only go up 10-20%, I would guess.

Why not get a single, higher end card?

I was really looking to replace my 1.25gb 570 with one of these but had been hoping for more memory. I've got a 1080p 144hz monitor, and even the SLI results in the games I'm playing right now aren't getting close to keeping an average over 100 without playing on medium quality settings. I don't need everything to be on ultra, but I want at least high settings across the board. The biggest thing that concerns me is the 2gb of vram in this day and age.

Not even sure a single 970 is up to the task based on what I've seen. Was really hoping to buy before mid Feb since through amex have $55 in statement credits, but not sure I want to spring the $500+ for a 980.

970 would probably give you something in the neighborhood of 100 at that res. I'd go that route or wait for 3xx AMD series.

been debating on dropping the dime to put one in my mini itx rig, i have a 180mm length restriction in it, would be a decent upgrade from my 750TI

Back