• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do i fully test SSD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
I have a Samsung 840 Pro, that started failing on me, i am now running my OS off one of my other SSD's.

Today, i wanted to try and see if i could find errors with the SSD.

First off, i plugged in the SSD, tried to boot, it would hang during windows boot logo.

Turned off, unplugged all but the 840 pro ssd, ran my USB w7 copy, and did a format, which is made an error message to, then i deleted partition and left it so.

Plugged in all my drives, got into window no issues this time, its found the 840 and i went to computer management so make a partition and format it.

I let is format in the slow way. Samsung Magigcian still said nothing was allocated, so i did a reboot, and all looks fine on the surface.

I was able to see the firmaware is up to date, run a performance run on the SSD, and even see the SMART data which appears all healthy.

Now, i still dont trust this drive AT ALL! Total life writing, its only done 6,32tb, and drive health is good, if you ask samsung.

How do i test this badboy even more?

Well, there's the question. Outside of any SSD's own utilities, the unfortunate fact is that testing an SSD involves writing and checking, which involves wearing the drive.

I'm particularly interested in your experience, though. Flash tech is undergoing a major shift right now, and we're going to see an SSD price war this year, largely between Intel and Samsung but I expect other players.

People have seriously dismissed all concerns regarding reliability of SSD drives for years, but I've always been skeptical. Wear leveling doesn't function on content which isn't moved or changed. I suspect there ought to be "holes" in virtually every SSD drive used for the OS, or most other general situations where the drive isn't fully "churned", because the wear leveling action is increasingly reduced to smaller and smaller portions of a drive as it's filled with stuff that doesn't change much.

3D NAND, AKA V-NAND, is about to change everything. It's in the 850 pro now, but Intel has yet to introduce what they called "price disruptive" designs, due sometime this year.

In other words, try not to jump to a replacement too soon if you can. Prices may well drop fast, and by 2016 or shortly thereafter, sizes, reliability and prices may come into line with rotational hard drives, and we'll all be on SSD's thereafter.

Back