• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R9 290X or Wait.... or ...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No, don't worry about the "issue". The GPUs still perform perfectly fine.

Cooler is reference, therefore garbage compared to the ACX 2.0.

I see, good to know. It seems they had one local just wondering. Last Time I saw a EVGA SC version there ACX 2.0 for the same price but is to expensive compare to online one.

I still think that the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming looks pretty amazing card and second is the MSI. I read the fans won't auto turn off in auto on the G1 is that true?

Last edited:
I don't see anything on Gigabyte's site about a 0% fan for any of their 970's.

I don't see anything on Gigabyte's site about a 0% fan for any of their 970's.

I see, not a big deal but been researching this stuff for a good portion of the day. XD

I do have a question the about the G1 on amazon. it seems I can get it a bit cheaper if I take the one with the package a little damage. Would you even boder buying such product from amazon like that or just straight brand new? There is one that is like new marked.

Do you have a link to it?

I bought a 50" 4K TV from Amazon Warehousedeals.
The trick there is, you buy one where the product is perfectly fine :thup:

Not sure I'd do that when the SSC is $340 and 100% new. (It's on sale on Amazon)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00R3NK2LE/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

But, that's warehousedeals. Their descriptions are accurate.
Sounds like someone got it, cut the tape, looked inside, and sent it back.

True you have a point. Sorry for the late response. I took my system apart to prepare it for the new card. Upgraded wife rig with faster ram and the XFX DD 270X 2GB.

I will see which route is best as the G1 has a back plate and pretty lights. Lol

What are your thoughts about the following cards

MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G
Asus STRIX GTX 970 DC2OC4GD5

vs

EVGA GTX 970 SSC? You still believe the SSC is a much better card?

I did forget that I do like the idea of a graphic card having a bios switch. XD

Last edited:
As mentioned several times now, any of those cards will be fine. They're all in the "top tier" of the 970 options and might vary a few degrees in temps or a few decibels in noise. Overclocking with all of them will be luck of the draw. RMA department, as ATM mentioned earlier, is something to consider, but I have yet to have a bad experience with any company (and I've RMA'd at least 10 items to various manufacturers over the past few years). Keep your invoice, don't void your warranty, expect to pay shipping back to them, and you'll be fine.

Of those, I'd probably go with whichever is the cheapest.

Squeeze the trigger :)

They're good cards too. Can't really go wrong with most.

Do the 970 Gaming and 970 Strix have BIOS switches? I know the SSC does.

Oh man, do I have to go back to the drawing board? lol

Here's my comparison on the Lightning 290X and the G1 970. I went with the 970, but you can see more of the reasoning behind it in that thread.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...to-keep-Gigabyte-G1-970-vs-MSI-Lightning-290X

Especially at 1080P, you can't really go wrong with either.

If you're worried about the vram discrepancy with the 970, don't be.

I've been playing AC: Unity for a week now, with vram usage hovering ~3.9 - 4GB and have not experienced a single instance of "stuttering".

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...s-on-GTX-970?p=7787486&viewfull=1#post7787486

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...s-on-GTX-970?p=7789632&viewfull=1#post7789632

Thanks! A lot will check them out.

You didn't "check them out" did you? ;)

I see, just making sure I do a good selection for many reason since is my first expensive purchase on a computer. Having all these review about the 970, some blowing up, some not having full contact etc... is just a scary thing. hahaha.... As far as the switchable bios EVGA for sure I know but other than that I am not sure if any other card does.

Oh i did ninjacore, just when I think I got my mind set, I come across something that makes me go back to the start. Currently I have my mind set with the EVGA 970 SSC, Gigabyte 970 G1, and MSI 970 Gaming models which so far I like. EVGA due to dual bios, Gigabyte and MSI because of review, reputation by other owners and both looks amazing. The MSI matches my ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition and the G1. The EVGA will do fine too being that is black.

Oh i did ninjacore, just when I think I got my mind set, I come across something that makes me go back to the start. Currently I have my mind set with the EVGA 970 SSC, Gigabyte 970 G1, and MSI 970 Gaming models which so far I like. EVGA due to dual bios, Gigabyte and MSI because of review, reputation by other owners and both looks amazing. The MSI matches my ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition and the G1. The EVGA will do fine too being that is black.

Those seem like the best options to me as well. The SSC has the bios switch, as ATM confirmed. I don't think my G1 has the switch, but it does have dual bios and will "fail over" to the alternate in the event of a "bad flash". Not sure if the MSI or Asus cards have dual bios, but I know they don't have the switch.

Remember, you're only gonna see the top of the card (and only if you have a side window), so keep that in mind if deciding on looks :thup:

Don't get too caught up in the rants. The 970 is a great card in almost every regard. You won't regret purchasing one.

Just grab that SSC while it's still on sale, you'll love it LOL

Just grab that SSC while it's still on sale, you'll love it LOL

LOL! yea you both makes sense so, "Thank You!", by the way the EVGA SSC one is on $339.99 which they don't have any cheaper there in amazon. Is that still a good price?

Back