• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

R9 290X or Wait.... or ...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ITAngel

Hey guys, I been condering looking into upgrading my graphic card XFX DD R9 270X 2GB for a R9 290X or GTX 970. I wanted a MSI R9 290X Lightning edition but can't be found now. I also heard of AMD releasing the R9 3xx series which seems very appealing but if only I knew when they will do that. What are you guys thoughts? Should I keep what I have for now and wait for the R9 3xxx series or upgrade to a 290 or 290X or 970?

Also my wife system still has the HD6950 graphic card and was thinking of upgrading that one too. Which I could give her mine and just upgrade the HD6950 to a better card. :confused:

New AMD should be released at the beginning of March but it's hard to say if it will happen as 1st date was Dec last year , then CES, then Feb ... Looking at AMD comments in last weeks it seems like premiere can be in March but probably non-reference cards will appear 2-4 weeks later.

I decided to wait for reference cards reviews and benchmarks. I was also contemplating buying a GTX970.

I decided to wait for reference cards reviews and benchmarks. I was also contemplating buying a GTX970.

With heard of issues on the 970, I'd say go big or stay home with the GTX 980 and have a great gaming experience!

If you absolutely need something today, I'd go with Shrimp's recommendation and pick up a 980. 970 although is a good card, has it's name damaged and resale value will be nill (if that matters to you). If you can wait just a bit longer, it would be beneficial to see what AMD announces next month (hopefully) which should knock prices down across the board from both companies and then decide what will work best for you.

If you absolutely need something today, I'd go with Shrimp's recommendation and pick up a 980. 970 although is a good card, has it's name damaged and resale value will be nill (if that matters to you). If you can wait just a bit longer, it would be beneficial to see what AMD announces next month (hopefully) which should knock prices down across the board from both companies and then decide what will work best for you.

I see what you mean. Yea I would love to grab a 980 if is affordable. XD By the way what is the best 980 that I should be looking into that is worth grabbing.

I am still leaning toward a R9 290X lol still love the MSI Lightning or maybe a Sapphire Tri-X.

Since you're at 1080p, if you have no plans of going 4K soon, just get a 970.

290 slaughters everything at 1080p... for 3/5ths the cost of the 970. On sale routinely for the low 200's.

hmmm... I was looking at the following cards..

XFX Double D R9 290X 1000MHz 4GB DDR5 DP HDMI 2XDVI Graphics Cards R9290XEDFD

or

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+ 4GB GDDR5 256bit, DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI, DP SLI Ready Graphics Card 04G-P4-3975-KR

I am still looking on Amazon and note I choose amazon because I still have some money there that I can use to grab a graphic card. So with that said, I am still looking for the best 290X or GTX 970 for the money that I can grab in a day or two unless I decide to wait a for the weekends to see what price will be online.

There was a Gigabyte version that was around $334 on amazon but forgot which model it was and lose the page. I will check later on tonight.

290x and 970 are extremely close in performance. The 970 wins with lower power consumption and less heat output. You will find the heat output greatly exaggerated on this forum though... not a cool card, but not "omg my room is 80 degrees after 20 minutes of gaming either".

The price/performance ratio is also affected when you factor in power supplies. You need a larger Psu for the 290x, but generally speaking, high quality units between 550 and 750w are very similarly priced.

If thats a "good hurting".... I dunno man haha. I've seen numerous other reviews that show the 290x and 970 a bit more neck and neck. Not enough to justify spending 50% more money in my book, but thats me.

If thats a "good hurting".... I dunno man haha. I've seen numerous other reviews that show the 290x and 970 a bit more neck and neck. Not enough to justify spending 50% more money in my book, but thats me.

Not sure how it's 50% more money... The 290X hovers around $300-$330 and the 970 hovers around $340-$360.
I'd pay the extra $30 or so for the 970. You get half the power draw, DX12 capability, and better performance.

The 290x has dipped to 230 a few times. If it's over 300, yeah get the 970, that's a no brainer.

Back