• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overcloking Asus 290x Matrix(not Platinum),voltage issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

svecenik

Hi all

I own Asus R9 290x Matrix(1000MHz GPU,1250MHz) card.Recently,while switching to Ryzen 1600 set-up i bought new case NZXT s340 Elite.While it is really nice looking case,it is also smallish and very hot especially for a huge 290x Matrix.Card is like 10mm away from tempered glass,so it gets really hot really fast.Matrix DirectCU II provides multi-directional airflow,and all that hot air is hitting glass and goes back right on to card.So in about 10-15 minutes with two frontal Corsair 140 AF fans and one NZXT 120mm in the back and one on the top card hits 89-94C.While with open case it sits comfortably on 74C under load.

So i decided to buy NZXT Kraken G12 and cool my 290x with water.As it is going to be better cooled i decided to overclock it.Till now i was running it on 1050 MHz GPU/1350MHz Memory(Platinum version default factory clock) on stock voltage(1250mV).It turned out 1050/1350 were the best stable speeds i can get on stock even with +50% on Power Limit.But while unlocking voltage control in MSI Afterburner(i had to add one line in Profile settings),AB was giving me max number of 1212.I couldn't go beyond that what ever i wrote in the box.

So i installed Asus GPU Tweak,witch allowed me to control voltage.But wont save any profile i make.As soon as i hit apply button it resets numbers.I tried few versions of it but none of them works for me.Also i tried TRIXX and Wattman but voltages in TRIXX are locked and with Wattman i can only go up to same number AB is showing.It doesn't matter if card is on Standard bios or LN2 one(As i understand i should be able to go up to 1,41V on GPU with LN2 switched).I have also tried flashing BIOS,Matrix Platinum and 2 from here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1564219/modded-r9-390x-bios-for-r9-290-290x-updated-02-16-2016 (290x Elpida ones) .It didnt helped with voltages but i have small gains in synthetic benchamrk and in games ath least.

Im using 17.7.2 Drivers.I have also done some testing with version before and with everything else uninstalled but display driver and HDMI audio.As i though Wattman might be interfering.

I would be so happy with +100 in Afterburner:rain:,or ath least if i could make that damn awfull GPU Tweak to work.Im noob guys,i appreciate every advice you can give me.If i had money for a new card i would smash this one with the hammer.As i dont know what else i can do,and it feels such a waste for it just to sit there on almost stock clock.

Im using Win10,Ryzen 1600,Gigabyte AB350-gaming 3 motherboard and Corsair 8GB 2666MHz Hyperx Savage DDR4.
Thx in advance!

I can feel your PAIN because I have the Platinum version :) IIRC ... You can only use GPU Tweak to set Voltage because ASUS used a Custom IC. This is the reason that AB and Trixx have the power section greyed out.
What I did.... was use GPU Tweak to set power to 1410v and then use Trixx to set my Core & Memory. I will tell you as others will also, That the 290X GPU runs HOT. If you wan't faster speed from the card, you are going to have to run a custom water loop for it :(

The MAX speed you are going to get with out going COLD is 1200 to 1250 on the Core and 1425 to 1475 on Memory.

I hope this helps.

It does help.

Can i use Afterburner with the GPU Tweak or is TRIXX more compatible?
Also is there a way for me to edit values in GPU tweak from a file?Cuz graphical interface is giving me issues.

It does help.

Can i use Afterburner with the GPU Tweak or is TRIXX more compatible?
Also is there a way for me to edit values in GPU tweak from a file?Cuz graphical interface is giving me issues.

After setting the Volt in GPU Tweak, you can use whichever one you like better.
I do not have any info on changing the values that are used in the ASUS GPU software.

Back