• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1/2" ID with compression fittings?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DrewZ

Registered
This will be my first REAL liquid cooling system. I DID READ THE STICKYS AND THE "READ THIS FIRST" POSTS! I have been using all-in-one (AIO) coolers for many years. I just never had the money to do a custom liquid cooling setup. Even though I have been building PC's since 1995 and I am even familiar with many aspects of custom loops...I do not know everything...far from it. The part where I get a little confused and uncomfy are the connectors. I want to do 1/2" ID clear tubing with compression fittings. The EK blocks for CPU & GPU that I have picked out are G 1/4, which I am guessing is the ID? What is the best way to get from 1/4 to 1/2 ID? If someone could help me figure this part out, I would be very grateful. If compression fittings and 1/2" ID tubing is not possible OR there is not as wide of a selection of compression fittings then I would be open to going down a size.

THANKS!

G 1/4 is the threads. Its a standard so all H20 parts should be G 1/4 threaded. Now ID and OD on tubing and fittings is up to you as that can change. You could do 1/2 but just figure how thick you want your wall. I for example use 1/2 ID x 3/4 OD on tubing and fittings. The tubing I currently use is the biggest and thickest. Can be tough tightening as you will lose some skin. Use some gloves if you go that route. You also have the option of 1/2 ID x 5/8 OD, having a thinner wall.

:welcome: to OCFs btw.

OK, thank you. So G1/4" thread to 1/2" ID barb. I am going to have a ton of space so I am not afraid of extra big/thick tubing even if it requires some muscle or I lose skin. Just need help choosing barbs and connectors I guess. So how do I get from the barb to the compression fitting? That's what confuses me. What are you using on your rig? I want the coolant to be visible through the tube, does thickness effect that? More importantly though I don't want any leaks. Also, what would you say are a few of the best brands for barbs and fittings for EKWB's? Thanks for the help.

OK, thank you. So G1/4" thread to 1/2" ID barb. I am going to have a ton of space so I am not afraid of extra big/thick tubing even if it requires some muscle or I lose skin. Just need help choosing barbs and connectors I guess. So how do I get from the barb to the compression fitting? That's what confuses me. What are you using on your rig? I want the coolant to be visible through the tube, does thickness effect that? More importantly though I don't want any leaks. Also, what would you say are a few of the best brands for barbs and fittings for EKWB's? Thanks for the help.

If you're from the states, have a look at performance-pcs.com for your watercooling needs.

As far as fittings go, you'll have to choose which fittings you want. Barbs are nice but cheaper. Compression fittings might look better but are more expensive. Both work great but you'll need to pick one or the other.

My personal preference is Bitspower compression fittings. They are on the premium priced side and have been using them for years with no issues. There are many other companies that make fittings as well but I like Bitspower and think they make very good quality fittings.

1/2 ID x 3/4 OD should be a very tight fit. When tightening down to a compression fitting of the same size, you won't be able to tie it down all the way since its already so tight. lol So don't be alarmed.

Yes, I live near Chicago, IL and one of my last purchases was from Performance PC's. Took a little while to ship but when it finally did I got the stuff in a few days. The Frozen CPU website has no checkout button for me! I tried in both Firefox and IE. I contacted them about it and got no response. I guess they REALLY don't want my money!

Anyways, yes I have been eyeballing Bitspower Matte Black barbs and fittings. I don't care about price, I want the BEST! I am looking at Aquacomputer gear also which is on the pricey side.

I'm not dumb or anything but I am having a tough time getting a picture in my head of what happens after the tube goes over the barb. Will a compression fitting go on top of it or do I have to use clamps or something? Sorry I have so many questions, just trying to learn.

If you're from the states, have a look at performance-pcs.com for your watercooling needs.

As far as fittings go, you'll have to choose which fittings you want. Barbs are nice but cheaper. Compression fittings might look better but are more expensive. Both work great but you'll need to pick one or the other.

My personal preference is Bitspower compression fittings. They are on the premium priced side and have been using them for years with no issues. There are many other companies that make fittings as well but I like Bitspower and think they make very good quality fittings.

1/2 ID x 3/4 OD should be a very tight fit. When tightening down to a compression fitting of the same size, you won't be able to tie it down all the way since its already so tight. lol So don't be alarmed.

What brand tubing are you using? I was planning Masterkleer...but if I decide on 1/2" ID and 5/8" OD, not sure what brand to use.

What brand tubing are you using? I was planning Masterkleer...but if I decide on 1/2" ID and 5/8" OD, not sure what brand to use.

Best PC tubing atm is PrimoChill Advanced LRT.

Best PC tubing atm is PrimoChill Advanced LRT.

OK, thank you. I'm learning as I discover...so the G1/4 thread to compression fitting is all in one piece, that solves that! I guess I have to go with 1/2 x 3/4 tubing since I cannot find 1/2 x 5/8 in Primochill Advanced LRT. Thank you very much for all your help though. My questions prolly seem dumb to somebody who has done custom loops before!

OK, thank you. I'm learning as I discover...so the G1/4 thread to compression fitting is all in one piece, that solves that! I guess I have to go with 1/2 x 3/4 tubing since I cannot find 1/2 x 5/8 in Primochill Advanced LRT. Thank you very much for all your help though. My questions prolly seem dumb to somebody who has done custom loops before!

Anytime. :salute: We're here to help. No such thing as a dumb question. Better ask than be sorry later down the road. I mean water and electronics don't mix. :p

Back