• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking to upgrade any tech advances soon?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wolverine690

So I'm looking to upgrade my pc's after my wedding. Sometime June or shortly there after & back at some point when I put parts together to upgrade my pc's I was going to go with:

Intel Core i7-4790K Devil’s Canyon Quad-Core 4.0GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117369

And then also get 2 GTX 970's to SLI & then was going to move my GTX 780 to my other machine.

But I'm curious if there are new cpu tech coming out sometime around the sametime that would benifit in waiting on? I'm seeing a decline in performance in my machine in newer games and definitely in my old machine which is running an old wolfsdale 3.0GHz Dual core. So really need to update those. Will update post later with more info, lunch is over...

Cool, with wedding planning & what not I've not had much time to do much looking on line for stuff. What kind of changes performance bumps are we expecting with new stuff? I thought I had read somewhere that new releases for a while wouldn't be much of improvements because something with the dye processes or something had reached its current max for now until some new break through happens... Is this correct or am I completely remember incorrectly, which is totally possible?lol

Well with new stuff coming I hope AMD comes out with some great gaming CPU's just so I can help cut costs vs intel b/c I'm sure Intels offerings will be much more in general.lol

Generally not a huge performance gain over what is out there, however, you are buying in june and you might as well buy the latest.

As far as AMD and Intel, due to AMD's inability to conserve power, the price difference isn't as much as you would think because yo uneed a pretty robust motherboard to run AMD's latest and great FX octo core line.

Back