• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noctua NH D15?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheOriginalGoth

Registered
I looking to get a really good heatsink that isn't liquid cooling. I've read so many good things about the Noctua NH D15 though my only concern is that it may or may not fit in my case. The case that I have is a Full Tower ThermalTake Chaser MK-1. Any help?

Per the Thermaltake Website that case has 180mm of cooler clearance. The Noctua NH-D15 is 165mm per the Noctua site.

EDIT: You'll want to verify clearance for you ram as well. What ram are you using? Looks like the NH-D15 has ram clearance in mind. If you have tall ram heatsinks you may have to run it in single fan mode. Otherwise you should be good.

Per Noctua
Noctua said:
High RAM compatibility in single fan mode
Thanks to its recessed lower fins, the NH-D15 provides 64mm clearance for tall memory heatsinks
in single fan mode, making it compatible with most high end RAM modules on the market. In dual
fan mode, the NH-D15 should be used with standard height RAM (up to 32mm).

You would need to run in single fan mode or remove the extra heatsinks from the Trident X kit.

I'd opt for taking the top of the heatsink off of the RAM (it unscrews) over running one fan.

The d15 is a good cooler. My buddy has the d14 cooling his 4790k. Works well. Fans are quiet. So long as you're good with the ugly as sin fan colors, that cooler should last a while.

I have the DH 14 its awesome. Really is quiet, its big but imo it looks cool. Luckily i have low profile ram so it didnt affect it at all. I agree the fan color sucks!
DSC_0074.jpg

Back