• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Artifacting? Bad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueNostromo

I have an Asus G73JH with an AMD 5870 inside. Any time I overclock my GPU at all, it will cause screen flickering while on the desktop, but not in games. Sometimes at the main menu of Chivalry, I will see green blocks, but they go away. I will supply pictures later. It happens at a high and low overclocks. Temps are fine. Running my fans at max it stays around 70-76C. I have seen it go to 82 when I did not have the fans set to max, but It almost never gets even that high.

With my 5850 I find if I run any driver past 12.3 I get the same screen flickering while in windows. Try and older driver and see how it fares.

I updated a lot of drivers and it seems to be more stable. I am just wondering that if all of my temps are fine and I am not messing with voltage, can any harm be done? I don't mind the flickering because it doesn't happen in game. If it does, its rare.

If you're not messing with the voltage and you have a clean case, ie dust free, with good airflow you should have no issues with heat. As far as upgrading the drivers, sorry if I wasn't clear. I have found that any of the newer drivers since Catalyst 12.3 cause my screen to flicker when I'm using my Ati Radeon 5850, while in windows and browsing the net. Just as you it doesn't happen in gaming or benchmarks. You may want to try and older driver considering the age of the Gpu, they may be better optimized for it.

What process did you have to go through to download those drivers? I tried myself, but I didnt accomplish anything. And again, will these things (artifacting/flickers) hurt my computer in any way, or are they just an annoyance? And are you recommending Catalyst 12.3 or 12.2?

Do I just uninstall my current driver, then install the new one? Do i need to restart in between?

Last edited:
I would try 12.3 and see if it helps. I usually do not do a driver sweep when installing drivers but sometimes it may be needed. Here's a link for 12.3 I do not believe the flickers are hurting the computer and yet it can be annoying.

I downloaded it and installed it, but it still shows 14.5x. I should uninstall my current drivers and try it again? :-/ I hate dealing with drivers- always scares me!

PLEASE EXCUSE MY STUPID. I know what to do i think.
Run current Catalyst
Select uninstall
Uninstall everything
Restart
Run 12.3 Catalyst
Select intall
Install everything

Yes that should work sorry for my absence I've been away for a few days! Hopefully it solves the issue, it did with mine.

This is driving me CRAZY. I for some reason cannot seem to install the old version of Catalyst. Whenever I install the 12.3 drivers, THERE IS NO CATALYST PROGRAM. Also, I have seen online that the flickering is caused by low clocks (mem clocks I think) in 2D environments. Am I doing something wrong with the install??? I did exactly what I said above and no ccc. I am on an Asus G73JH laptop. ANYONE HELP.

After uninstalling the current catalyst drivers, make sure Windows Update is NOT set to do automatic updates (set it to let you choose what to download and install) since it may try to upgrade the GPU drivers. Check Windows Update and hide the catalyst installer if necessary afterwards.

Download and run display driver uninstaller after uninstalling catalyst. Run it for AMD graphics drivers. Reboot and run it again to be safe. Then install catalyst 12.3.

Likely what's happening is WUpdate is overriding the catalyst install or something's not uninstalling correctly with Programs & Features so running DDU and disallowing automatic updates so that you can right-click/Hide the CC installer should fix it. You can probably change Windows Update back to automatic later but it may try to reinstall the latest CCC eventually so I wouldn't try it personally. One of the problems with using an older card on legacy drivers.

Tried that above. After "installing" the 12.3 drivers/programs. (There was only 3, one of which being the Catalyst Install Manager) I could not find ANYTHING in the install directory it gave me (yes I had show hidden files on). This is honestly pissing me off. I have also tried going into my profile.xml file and editing my 2D Clock speeds to keep them at a stable level for dual screens like other people had done, but the values that other people showed werent even in that file!!!!! I have also tried using Msi Afterburner to set my 2D Clocks, but that is just a joke. UGH

Back