• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To rebuild or not....that is the question. I need advice quickly!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kayan

Registered
Ok so to make a longer story shorter, here's my dilemma:

Currently I have a Crosshair V-Z + 8370e, 295x2, 16gb 2400, and a bunch of other non-essential components. Plus a 1440p 60hz display.

I am debating about selling my current setup (minus the 295x2, my 1tb SSD, and my PSU 1kw) to possibly get one of these two:

I currently have the funds to either go with
- 5820k build with a more basic motherboard and 16gb of ddr4,
- 4970k with a higher end motherboard and 16-32gb of ram.

I plan on gaming almost exclusively. I am also planning on either getting a 1440p @ 144hz, or a 4k. I like to play all the latest titles with pretty much all settings maxed.

Now ideally I'd like to keep what I have (as that just requires a new monitor, but (and here's where things get tricky) my wife and I have our first on the way. :D And as things get closer to the delivery date our excess funds are going to start dwindling, as anyone with kids knows. I know Zen and Skylake should come out within the next year, but I am not sure I can rebuild within the next year, due to our first baby due in October.

What is everyone's opinion. I'm at a crossroads, and unsure. I'd like whatever I use to last another 2ish years with very incremental upgrades (I.E. a new graphics card in maybe a year or so, but that's it!) So what should I do?

Last edited:
What's your budget?
Is your current setup struggling?

Without the display my budget is around 6-700.

It struggles a little in FC4, but last time I played that there was no crossfire profile, so that may help a bit. I'm worried about Witcher 3 though, hehe. Honestly though I haven't used my PC in a little over a month (ordered a CL case and awaiting shipping and arrival. It should be shipped this week, finally, YAY!). I have a custom loop for my CPU only, so if I swap to Intel I'll need a new waterblock, but that is all, so no biggie.

Again though, this needs to last 2 years.

I'd get a high refresh rate 1440p monitor and call it quits.

If you really want to upgrade, grab a 4790K and Z97 Extreme 6.

The only game you've had issues with, everyone has issues with.

Do you think what I have now for platform will be relevant and able to keep up in 2 years time?

I think it'll run games just fine, especially if you overclock (which I assume you are/will since you have a CHV-Z)

Back