• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much VRAM do I need?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tech Tweaker

Out of curiosity, how much VRAM would I realistically need/be able to use with a graphics card for gaming?

My current GTX 660 Ti has 2GB of VRAM, and I typically see the games I currently play using 1.5GB to 1.8GB at most during intense firefights and other game sequences. I've never really felt like the VRAM amount is a bottleneck though, the GPU core's speed certainly is a bottleneck as there are certainly faster GPU's that have come on the market (that and my old Q6600 CPU, being a much older platform).

I currently game at 1920x1080 pixels on a single monitor (22" IIRC).

I know there are now cards out with 3.5GB, 4GB, and 8GB of VRAM in the enthusiast and mainstream markets. But, is it worthwhile to seek out cards with a higher capacity of onboard VRAM for my usage scenario, or is that for higher resolutions only (or something else). Is there some performance boost I would see with a 4GB card that I wouldn't see with a 2GB card, assuming both cards had the same GPU core clocked to the same frequency?

What sort of improvement would 3-4GB offer me that 2GB wouldn't?

Ability to play at higher resolution? Higher FPS? Ability to play at higher quality settings?

What sort of improvement would 3-4GB offer me that 2GB wouldn't?

Ability to play at higher resolution? Higher FPS? Ability to play at higher quality settings?

Less stuttering at high vRAM usage, less popping in/out of textures, can use higher quality/AA/AF.

Back