• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it dying? CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

devlos

Hello!

So My i5 4690k just crashed in the middle of CS:GO and when it rebooted I opened cpu-z and saw only one core. Then I ran hwbotprime and was getting like 2500, not what I was hoping.

Is this thing dying or are those cores dead now already and the last core will go at any time??? Or what?

It is or has been at a stable overclock for a while but I push it every now and then.

I have been needing an excuse for an i7, last week I got another G3258 and I love them to play with but I want more cores.

omg it was my fault! :eek: No need to read on unless you are just curious.

I messed in msconfig to change some startup items and opened advanced options real quick and somehow set "number of processors" to 1 on accident.

I knew this was what happened because I threw in the pentium and it only had one core too ( EDIT then it clicked and was like a light went on /EDIT). So i went in and unchecked number of processors, rebooted and have two cores. I don't feel like changing it back again now because custom water loop, so I will just use the pentium for now lol.

All that excitement for nothing and stuck with G3258 in my gamer for the night and the i5 is most likely just fine.... pfft :)

I'm starting to blame that new RAM I got for the crash, it has crashed like 3 or 4 times since I got it and running xmp.

At least you figured it out!
Does the RAM pass Memtest?

I'll run it in the morning and see. If not it's getting wrapped up and returned, other fish in the sea.

What s the best way, reset CMOS and just turn X.M.P. on without touching anything else and let it rip??

Well it passed Memtest but I think I should let it go for a few hours, I only let it go for 30 minutes and it only made 1 1/2 passes so far. Whenever it crashed before it was after like 3 straight hours of gaming.

OKay I will let it go now for awhile, see how it does. If it fails I'll bump volts and try again.

Well, RAM seems fine after all. I think the overclock on the CPU was unstable after all, it was set up while ambient temps were cooler and with the most conservative voltage possible. I think if I just dial the multi back one I should be good. RAM passed hours of memtest. :D

Back