• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding build.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
This build is dedicated to RZA, ATMINSIDE and Fever who helped me get the parts I needed very inexpensively.

It started with a "Donationware" workstation MB from RZA.

IMG_20150331_134023.jpg

Then ATMINSIDE sold me a cheap Xeon to go with it.

Finally, Fever sold me three AMD cards to put in it.
IMG_20150331_134034[1].jpg
IMG_20150331_134007[1].jpg

I then had to buy a power supply that would handle all of the folding power that I would put to it later.

IMG_20150331_133954[1].jpg

Not to mention a cheap heatsink and fan that would keep the CPU cool.

IMG_20150331_134000[1].jpg

I used an old 2.5 inch hard drive from my laptop. (I put an SSD in the laptop so this drive was not doing anything.)

IMG_20150331_134015.jpg

Part of the reason I got the video cards on the cheap is that the heatsinks and fans were broken. This is how I dealt with that.

IMG_20150331_134053[1].jpg
IMG_20150331_134139.jpg IMG_20150331_134558.jpg

Finally, I used some RAM that I had laying around. A total of 4 GB of DDR3.

Here are most of those parts in one shot.

IMG_20150331_133944.jpg

Last edited:
that awtta score a few points and with a 1200 watt psu should run right in the sweet spot.
going with linux?

I thought cpu's lowered PPD buy filling the heatsinks with furr, so no cpu folding.

CAT cables are getting fatter and fuzzier lately.........not that I'm dogging you or parroting Whitehawk....please, help me worm out of this.......

Yes. He is one of my two "helpers". When working on the floor like that, I just yell out every 5 minutes "Get out of there." to a cat who may or may not actually be in the room with me.

Project on hold for a few days as I do side work to help pay for those parts.

My house is wired with CAT7. Loose fur is an additional filter media to help catch any dust from torn upholstery :rofl:

the cat2 cable looks a little plumper and might carry a little more bandwidth than the cat1 cable, and on the plus side it's allready installed in the case.

the cat2 cable looks a little plumper and might carry a little more bandwidth than the cat1 cable, and on the plus side it's already installed in the case.

If your talking about my cat, she weighs 13 pounds, but is light on her feet for a heavy cat. That MB you see in background is a Gigabyte Z97 MB with i5 4670K quad core CPU and 4x8GB ram sticks I built for a friend.

we.... were.... uhhh.... just kind of poking fun at the cats.......... we hope you don't mind.

13 pounds is a biggun for a house cat.

I'll get my brother to send me a pic of his cat-pu :D I believe George is 18 lbs

Another minor setback. The power supply for one of my other folding rigs went down. It's a brand new Seasonic too. While I RMA it, the power supply for this build will be put into service keeping that other rig going.

Oooooh, I want one of those MoBos.

This build is dedicated to RZA, ATMINSIDE and Fever who helped me get the parts I needed very inexpensively.

It started with a "Donationware" workstation MB.

View attachment 162059

Then ATMINSIDE sold me a cheap Xeon to go with it.

Finally, Fever sold me three AMD cards to put in it.
View attachment 162053
View attachment 162054

I then had to buy a power supply that would handle all of the folding power that I would put to it later.

View attachment 162055

Not to mention a cheap heatsink and fan that would keep the CPU cool.

View attachment 162056

I used an old 2.5 inch hard drive from my laptop. (I put an SSD in the laptop so this drive was not doing anything.)

View attachment 162058

Part of the reason I got the video cards on the cheap is that the heatsinks and fans were broken. This is who I dealt with that.

View attachment 162057
View attachment 162061View attachment 162062

Finally, I used some RAM that I had laying around. A total of 4 GB of DDR3.

Here are most of those parts in one shot.

View attachment 162060

Oooooh, I want one of those MoBos.

The Mobo is thanks to RZA. It was questionable and so he sold it on a "Donationware" basis. There are some problems with it but none that will prevent me from getting massive ppd once I get it going.

Back