• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Samsung 840 Pro vs 850 Pro - 512 GB

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

I am currently using Samsung 256 GB Samsung 840 Pros in two machines and have been very satisfied with their performance. I need to upgrade to larger 512 Gb capacity drives and naturally just looking at Samsung drives since they have always been so reliable.

The 512 GB 840 Pro is $470 (Newegg) and the supposedly newer faster better 850 is $270. This is counterintuitive. Why the big difference?

My highest priority is reliability. Am I better off staying with the 840 Pro series even though they are a lot more expensive than the 850 pro series?

Its been a while since I ordered a drive so I lost touch with what is now available. Am I still correct in thinking the Samsung Pro series drives are still at the top with respect to reliability and performance?

Just buy the 850 Evo, it is even cheaper, and still a kickass SSD. Guess the reason the 840 is more expensive, is because the price have not been changed @ the website since it came out (?)

Seems like the 840 is more expensive here in Norway to (just about 15$ tho) But i can't see any reason why the 840 should be a better SSD, than its successor, the 850..

A friend of mine have the 850 Pro, with the same hardware I got, and the difference in benchmarks are to small to be worth the extra cost over the 850 EVO.

There's such a big difference because they quit making the 840 Pro drives.

Yes, they're still top level drives, but seriously consider the 850 EVO. You'll never notice the difference in a daily system.

or Crucial MX200 500GB which is ~$50 cheaper if I'm right, similar performance, great support and improved endurance ... ~$450 cost 1TB version

Thanks for the responses.

I agree with the comments about performance but reliability is of paramount importance to me. Is the EVO failure rate as low as that for the Pros? I would much rather spend more for the Pros if they fail less often than the EVOs.

In other words, between the 840 Pro, 850 Pro, 840 EVO, and the 850 EVO, which is less likely to fail? Is there another brand that is of equal or better reliability?

Hard to say anything about 850 EVO RMA rate as they're quite new but 840 EVO were great. I sold many of them and at work we have at least 10 running right now ( mainly programming and tests on SQL databases ). Not even 1 RMA.

I mentioned Crucial as MX200 has improved endurance and should live about 2x longer than Samsung but as always with electronics hard to say exactly as everything can instantly die without warning.

Crucial/Intel/Samsung are known for the reliability.
Really for the price and EVO drives are the way to go. They have a 5 year warrenty, and the drive still will most likely outlast any rig you put it in.
Owned all 3 types.

2x Intel 80GB first gen drives, still work today
2x M4 128GB, in main rig and old laptop still working great
1x M4 256GB, in main rig being moved to a newer laptop still working great

1x 840Pro 512GB main rig, main drive zero issues
1x 850Evo 250GB, just received but no issues as well.

If I'm right then Samsung EVO and Crucial MX100/200 have 3 year warranty. Samsung 840 Pro and high series of Plextor/Sandisk/Intel SSD have 5 years. Older and lower series of Crucial/Intel/Samsung/Patriot/ADATA/Corsair etc. have 2/3 years depend from series. Samsung 850 Pro has 10 year warranty.
Regardless of warranty length I doubt anyone will keep SSD for more than 3 years in the main PC.

If you look at the prices right now then it's like:

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB = ~$270 ( can see that price when I add product to the cart )
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB = ~$250
Crucial MX200 500GB = ~$200

If there is really ~$20 difference between EVO and PRO then I would take PRO. If you care about money and high quality then it's hard to beat Crucial. It will be slightly slower but I don't think anyone will notice the difference in daily work.

Actually Woomack the the warranties are a little different now.

850 EVO = 5 year
850 Pro = 10 year

But as you said if really there is so little difference I'd probably nab the pro unless sticking to a strict budget.

Actually Woomack the the warranties are a little different now.

850 EVO = 5 year
850 Pro = 10 year

But as you said if really there is so little difference I'd probably nab the pro unless sticking to a strict budget.

It looks like they changed it. When I was checking it some time ago then I saw them with 3 year warranty. Actually warranty depends from country but in US it supposed to be 5 years.
850 EVO 1TB still has 3 years in newegg -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...8135&cm_re=850_evo_1tb-_-20-147-374-_-Product

I bet they are wrong as it would be weird that 1TB has shorter warranty than other capacities.
In US you can make RMA in Samsung , in EU you simply can't so counts only what you get from the store. If they're wrong then you have a problem ;)

I know about Samsung, you don't have to send links about it :) I just said that warranty for these drives was shorter and some stores corrected it while some not. In Polish distribution I still see 3 years for 850 EVO :-/ Not that I need SSD. I'm actually selling M4 256GB because I'm not using it. One 512GB in my daily PC is enough.

Yep, a lot of stores are wrong then.

Just putting the link out there for all to see since it seemingly wasn't referenced to get the answer here... ;)

Back